News   Mar 28, 2024
 123     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 230     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.3K     1 

General railway discussions

Nobody checked the height of the cars? I guess they dont have couplers installed which is why they are on a flat car.
The bigger issue is why they were there in the first place. That's the approach to Central Station.

The cars were destined for EXO's Pointe-Saint-Charles facility, which is now behind them by a mile.

Dan

The bigger issue is why they were there in the first place. That's the approach to Central Station.

The cars were destined for EXO's Pointe-Saint-Charles facility, which is now behind them by a mile.

Dan
Don't they need to go to a yard to have the local switcher job deliver the cars? I wonder how badly those new cars where damaged.

Nobody checked the height of the cars? I guess they dont have couplers installed which is why they are on a flat car.
Is it going to turn out that they weren't delivered on their own wheels because doing coupler or whatever other road necessary bits weren't factory installed was a way of keeping the Canadian/Quebec content number up?

EDIT: here's the original photographer flickr:

This could impact TTC delivery of 4449 at 91 days and 4451 at 81 days to Hillcrest. One or both could be in Lambton yard now or in route.

It could effect TTC 4458 and 4459 hand off to CN once they are place on the flats of the returning cars to Quebec.

TTC 4452 and 4454 will not be affected for delivery for another 35-40 days. At that point 4460 and 4461 could be delay as to when the can be handed off to CN for their trip to Quebec.

It could have an impact on the GO Milton line service.

Teamsters Canada members vote for strike against CP

Could they use similar technology with locomotives? Use battery powered locomotives to help with hills and recharge the batteries as they go downhill?

Assuming that the same amount of energy is required to go uphill as it is generated going down hill.

Could they use similar technology with locomotives? Use battery powered locomotives to help with hills and recharge the batteries as they go downhill?

Assuming that the same amount of energy is required to go uphill as it is generated going down hill.

That's exactly what the Wabtec FLXdrive does.

This very principle is why mining railways who must transload to ship are the ones piloting the technology. By definition, the mine is uphill and the sea/lake is downhill. So gravity charges the batteries while the loads are en route to port, and the charged battery brings the empty trains back to the mine.

The challenging part is when uphill and downhill don’t match. Calgary is 3428 feet above sea level, Kicking Horse Pass is 5338 feet, and Vancouver is at sea level. Something (like catenary) is needed to equalise the loads and regenerations, and charge batteries as needed. And containers coming out of Vancouver aren’t empty. So it’s more complicated.

- Paul

This very principle is why mining railways who must transload to ship are the ones piloting the technology. By definition, the mine is uphill and the sea/lake is downhill. So gravity charges the batteries while the loads are en route to port, and the charged battery brings the empty trains back to the mine.

The challenging part is when uphill and downhill don’t match. Calgary is 3428 feet above sea level, Kicking Horse Pass is 5338 feet, and Vancouver is at sea level. Something (like catenary) is needed to equalise the loads and regenerations, and charge batteries as needed. And containers coming out of Vancouver aren’t empty. So it’s more complicated.

- Paul
Even if it doesn't even out to zero some savings going uphill and regeneration down hill to use uphill is still fuel and money saved.

Back