News   Apr 25, 2024
 301     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 964     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

General railway discussions

Interesting. Anyone have any details? cc @crs1026 @smallspy

"The Canadian Railway Preservation and Restoration Association": https://www.crpra.org/community
I checked this a few months ago and it's not a real railway or organization. I've seen stuff like this before - a person(s) creates a website and a FB page and creates posts or pages to make it look like they're an active organization. They're not a registered charity, don't have any experience and don't have the money so CN won't even give them the time of day.

Interesting. Anyone have any details? cc @crs1026 @smallspy

"The Canadian Railway Preservation and Restoration Association": https://www.crpra.org/community

Their website list acquisition of the Newmarket Spur as their one and only 'project' and the remainder of the site is all aspirational. It seems the Association has one director, no charitable status and little to no money.

Edit - Sorry, I missed Christine's post.

Their website list acquisition of the Newmarket Spur as their one and only 'project' and the remainder of the site is all aspirational. It seems the Association has one director, no charitable status and little to no money.

Edit - Sorry, I missed Christine's post.

I'll add, if you click through on the project page:

1625514521687.png

Ummm, which year?

I checked this a few months ago and it's not a real railway or organization. I've seen stuff like this before - a person(s) creates a website and a FB page and creates posts or pages to make it look like they're an active organization. They're not a registered charity, don't have any experience and don't have the money so CN won't even give them the time of day.
You're right, but......

This organization is incorporated, which is a hell of a sight further than most of these organizations ever get.

And hey, because they're incorporated, you can find out information such as this: https://www.canadacorporation.info/companies/10744131/ And you can see that the address registered is a residence near Bathurst and Bloomington.

For the record, I have never heard of this outfit, nor its owner.

Dan

The wildfire in Lytton BC which destroyed most of the village may now have spawned a larger issue..........

Many in the community strongly suspect a train which was seen to be on fire by several witnesses with starting the massive blaze, or, at the very least spreading it.

Adding to community anger, it appears as though outreach to the nearby First Nations, post-evacuation has been either poor or absent...........

While apparently, workers are already mobilized repairing the railway.

Result., excerpted below, can be read in this piece in the Globe and Mail: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...columbia-threaten-to-block-rail-traffic-over/

1625651283191.png

1625651365419.png

The wildfire in Lytton BC which destroyed most of the village may now have spawned a larger issue..........

Many in the community strongly suspect a train which was seen to be on fire by several witnesses with starting the massive blaze, or, at the very least spreading it.

Adding to community anger, it appears as though outreach to the nearby First Nations, post-evacuation has been either poor or absent...........

While apparently, workers are already mobilized repairing the railway.

Result., excerpted below, can be read in this piece in the Globe and Mail: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...columbia-threaten-to-block-rail-traffic-over/

View attachment 333374

View attachment 333375
One would think that out of all provinces, BC would be the most desperate to avoid further disturbing headlines these days...

^Without getting too far into political weeds, I have some sympathy for the people of Lytton.

Obviously, in the aftermath of a disaster people will speak out of emotion rather than facts…and those facts may not yet be known….but….

Towns being wiped out by fire is not a new thing.

After Lac-Megantic, Ottawa fell all over itself offering aid and support to the townsfolk, with immediate promises to rebuild.

After the Fort MacMurray fire, Ottawa declared the situation to be a provincial matter. Alberta then fell all over itself offering aid and support to the townsfolk, with immediate promises to rebuild.

After Lytton burned down, all anybody federally or provincially can say is “Let’s get those trains rolling again”.

It may simply be bureaucratic bumbling, but it does seem the goalposts have shifted.

- Paul

One would think that out of all provinces, BC would be the most desperate to avoid further disturbing headlines these days...

The BC government has about as much control over the actions of the First Nations Leaders as they do over the private railways. Maybe the government should have done a better job communicating with and helping the First Nations communities through this disaster (I don’t have any knowledge beyond this article s to what is happening), but I don’t see how they could have muffled this media attention

The BC government has about as much control over the actions of the First Nations Leaders as they do over the private railways. Maybe the government should have done a better job communicating with and helping the First Nations communities through this disaster (I don’t have any knowledge beyond this article s to what is happening), but I don’t see how they could have muffled this media attention
I was talking about the complete lack of immediate disaster relief, which is the direct cause of the actions of the First Nation leaders and the troubling reminder how the members of First Nations have to disturb the national economy before anyone in this country bothers to grant them some of the attention, assistance, amenities and services ordinary Canadians can take for granted...

I was talking about the complete lack of immediate disaster relief, which is the direct cause of the actions of the First Nation leaders and the troubling reminder how the members of First Nations have to disturb the national economy before anyone in this country bothers to grant them some of the attention, assistance, amenities and services ordinary Canadians can take for granted...

My apologies. I misunderstood your post.

.. this just further the needs and justifies the Fairview Terminal expansion in Prince Rupert. I do wonder if they will try and expand the grain terminal too in the future.

Back