News   Apr 19, 2024
 365     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 687     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 742     1 

General cycling issues (Is Toronto bike friendly?)

Hear hear; usually, I think the "like" button is sufficient, but @brainfreezed really nailed both the pics and the descriptions/colour commentary. Thanks for the update.
There is a large proviso though to the "Dutch Model", and I wrote about this last night, then erased it, thinking it sounded like sour grapes, but it has to be said, cycling into town today I've seen so many "Lycra Louts" doing absurd and dangerous things on the cycle paths (I use a route down White's Road to Petticoat Creek Park, along Lakeshore over Rouge Hill bridge, along Lake to (usually the sewage plant, and down to the lake, but that was barred today) so down the road at Guildwood, along the lake again (it's barred at top of Gates Gulley! It's entirely passable at this time, I passed only two people, both ladies, one who stopped to talk and laugh, and who made me promise to keep it a secret that the path is entirely usable, while pointing down the lake at Bluffers Park, and stating "See how crowded it is down there? Let them stay there!") Up Bellamy to the GO station, and west from there through various parks and green spaces, along St Clair to cemetery and more park, eventually through to Taylor Creek, Don Valley, and Lakeshore Trail across the core to west end.

Here's the point: Good Dutch design infrastructure is only as good as *approaching the cycling like the Dutch themselves would*, and that's a choreograph, a protocol, a good dash of courtesy and common sense. I've seen some incredibly stupid moves today by people dressed up like canaries in their wannabe outfits. And when it comes to that "Dutch bend", they become very dangerous. It's certainly not what the Danes or Dutch would do. They've learned how to dance...and that means not passing in the opposing lane on a double blind bend.

I see lots of helmets...many with nothing inside.

Last edited:
Hear hear; usually, I think the "like" button is sufficient, but @brainfreezed really nailed both the pics and the descriptions/colour commentary. Thanks for the update.

Thanks. The city has really been putting a lot of new bike infrastructure lately, and it seemed to be a bit under-reported here. I cycle fairly often, and it's great to see improvements popping up more frequently. There has definitely been a noticeable increase in cyclists every year, so I hope this momentum keeps going...

Here's the point: Good Dutch design infrastructure is only as good as *approaching the cycling like the Dutch themselves would*, and that's a choreograph, a protocol, a good dash of courtesy and common sense. I've seen some incredibly stupid moves today by people dressed up like canaries in their wannabe outfits. And when it comes to that "Dutch bend", they become very dangerous. It's certainly not what the Danes or Dutch would do. They've learned how to dance...and that means not passing in the opposing lane on a double blind bend.

Yea, ultimately there's only so much infrastructure tweaking you can do, but you can't design away stupid. But I'm an optimist, and I've noticed an increasing proportion of "regular people" on bikes, who generally cycle predictably and safely, in their everyday cloths. I think our cycling investments are paying off, and slowly there will be that culture shift; people are learning the dance.

Some news on the east side: the Lower Don trail is now passable from Corktown Common all the way to the Brickworks.

The fences at Riverdale Park footbridge and Pottery Road remain, but they have been pushed to the side (I skirted around them with a double bike trailer, no problem).

The Belleville (or is it Bala?) underpass is open too, and while the surface is still dirt rather than pavement, it is open and passable.

Thanks to Rudy Limeback for the heads up!

Yea, ultimately there's only so much infrastructure tweaking you can do, but you can't design away stupid. But I'm an optimist, and I've noticed an increasing proportion of "regular people" on bikes, who generally cycle predictably and safely, in their everyday cloths. I think our cycling investments are paying off, and slowly there will be that culture shift; people are learning the dance.
I think you're right, and I'm only just starting to see it emerging...*sensible cyclists* who observe the rules of the roads, the rules of etiquette and protocol, the law, and know it's necessary to be that way to make it better for everyone. Make no mistake, the legions of louts are also increasing, the oblivious masses who haven't a clue, but I'm feeling less lonely out there lately, having others to glance at and recognize good form and manners.

Is it the product of better cycling infrastructure though? I think it's beside it. I think enough sensible people are now riding and imprinting a more disciplined form to it. It's still a small minority of cyclists, but hopefully it will....'mature'.

@UserNameToronto : I came through (past actually) the Belleville underpass yesterday, and it was not yet open. I glanced at it, as the fence had been pulled aside, and thought not to do it, did the clamber around instead across the tracks, but one wonders why it's taking forever?

Last edited:
This posted on the Don River (Lower Don Trail) construction blog.

Dear Trail Users

I understand your frustration on this project. We are working to get this trail open as soon as possible. When we reopen, the safety of this trail, its surfaces, connection to the Bayview multi-use trail and the visitor experience will be greatly improved, but I realize it is hard to take comfort in these improvements while the trail remains closed.

Currently, we are waiting for a third-party utility that runs across the trail to be relocated so that final grades are acceptable for cyclists and do not impose a hazard. While this relocation is not the last of the work to be done, we expect that the trail will open after this work is completed. Additional safety protocols will be established to allow the final construction work to be completed while the trail remains open.

The Lower Don Trail is a major spine in the utility infrastructure of this city. Three high-pressure oil pipelines, a gas line, as well as a major high-speed fibre optic line are all hidden in the trail alignment. On top of this is the visible utility infrastructure of electrical corridors and two rail corridors, all sandwiched within this green oasis of a recreational trail. As a result, there is very little working room between the rail, Don Valley Parkway and the river.

Unusual high water and heavy rain this season has also affected the productivity of crews working in tight proximity to the river. Water levels of the Lower Don overflowed the banks in several areas of the project more than once this year, causing flooding in our work areas.

I do want to clarify the status on the permits required and the timing of the applications. The City consulted with both Metrolinx and the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) about requirements and permits through the design process beginning in 2014. TRCA permits were completed in one step. Metrolinx requires permits be completed in a sequential process for each stage of work, as each stage is completed. Each submission takes several weeks to review and process and some of these permits have required several submissions. The most recent permit is a final re-submission for the last of 15 Metrolinx permits, which includes those needed by third-party utilities to relocate within the corridor as part of the project as well. This is the process for all Metrolinx permits for these types of projects.

There have been lessons learned in the permit review and approval process that will be applied to the next stage of Lower Don work, and indeed all future trail work. Also, I am working with staff to improve how we plan and communicate trail detours to reduce the effect on trail users. This work includes ensuring contractors are better able to safely maintain, to the fullest extent possible, public access to trails and public facilities during construction.

We look forward to the reopening and we hope you will attend the formal celebration of the improved trail later in the fall.

I am working with staff to improve how we plan and communicate trail detours to reduce the effect on trail users.
https://lowerdontrail.wordpress.com/

Ya think? I'll believe it when I see it. Try doing this to motorists on a "major spine" and see how it goes down.

So are they actually going to change the (effectively) "Fug You, you can't come through here because we say so" attitude and signs? It's not just this location, it's many.

Last edited:
bikeshare.jpg

From today's announcement.....

Attachments

• bikeshare.jpg
    bikeshare.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 307
Very good to see it expand westward out the MGT -- would've been useful for the hordes of visitors I've taken out on it this summer!

Rode on Richmond on my bike ride to Hamilton yesterday to get out of downtown. When we got to Bathurst we were in a group of 50+ cyclists waiting at the red light...I was surprised how busy it was since I don't usually ride out of the city during rush hour. I also liked that there were all types of people on bikes. People in suits, people with carriages for their kids, and lots of other normal looking people.

Great to see the expansion, though surprised they're not putting any stations in High Park, figured it would be a big draw, especially if your aiming for the tourist crowd on the MGT.

Great to see the expansion, though surprised they're not putting any stations in High Park, figured it would be a big draw, especially if your aiming for the tourist crowd on the MGT.

I actually think Bike Share is hesitant to do this, the bikes arent really designed for off-road and they could get damaged/discarded in the park etc.

Damn, still a little too far south to be practical for me. They should go to Eglinton if they're going to go that far west on Lakeshore.

I actually think Bike Share is hesitant to do this, the bikes arent really designed for off-road and they could get damaged/discarded in the park etc.

There are plenty of non-off-road places to ride a bike in High Park, and the $1,000 fine is the deterrent against discarding or damaging the bike.

They are putting it right near the High Park subway station. Rent one there, ride though the park down to MGT (all downhill) and then hop on a streetcar go go back downtown. Nice lazy Saturday activity.

I was hoping that the announcement was that we could pay with the Presto card (vs a credit card). And an adjustment to the daily fee to allow for more occasional users (instead of $7 per day make it $3.25 for the first 30 minutes each time you use one). So it feels just like any other transit option (other than the 30 minute time window).

Back