Garrison Point (Diamondcorp/Cityzen/Fernbrook) - Real Estate -

Is anyone moving in this week? We finally did our PDI last week, and our Final Occupancy date, as recorded on the slip from the builder after PDI is the second week of March. This hasn’t changed since our last notice from November.

I’m hearing people on this forum say their occupancy’s are delayed. Is this still the case.

We are also on a higher floor, and it looks to be like we would be one of the first to move in if this date is to be correct.

Wary about giving current landlord 2 months notice this week without more confidence. I don’t want my stuff in storage or to be using Air BnBs if this date is not met.

Thoughts?

I don't think anyone will be moving in this week. I was supposed to move in tomorrow, but now am awaiting a new date.

Our Firm Occupancy Date (9th floor) was originally February 5th, 2020. We then received a notice for delayed occupancy on January 17, 2020, moving our date to February 25th, 2020. Then on February 12, 2020 we received a letter from the developer that our occupancy date is now unknown until further notice as the water main is still being worked on by the City.

I know other owners that have units on the 2nd, 3rd and 5th floors received the same notice as I did. They were all supposed to have moved in by today and are still waiting for a new date.

The developer advised that we were to receive an update within 2 weeks of the February 12th, 2020 notice, so we should hear something in the next few days.

I wish I had advice on what you should do in terms of giving notice, etc. I understand your hesitation though as I am currently in the situation you describe with all my stuff in storage and staying with family as our lease ended at the end of January.

See below the notices we have received to date regarding our "delayed occupancy":

January 17, 2020 Notice

Further to our letter of January 17th, 2020 (a copy of which is attached hereto) advising you of the Occupancy Delay, our letter did not provide that issue has arisen by an Unavoidable Delay as a result of the condition of the existing City of Toronto water mains that provide service to the building. A section City's existing water mains, has excess build up, rendering a reduced flow that cannot provide the pressure required to the condominium, should a fire occur. The Vendor became aware of the issue on January 16th, 2020. The City is aware of the issue and may have to repair or replace the affected section of water main in order to allow for proper water flow and pressure. The Vendor is working diligently with the City to ascertain a timeframe as to when the City can complete its work so that Unavoidable Delay will end and the Unit can be occupied. The City has indicated it will be approximately 4 to 5 weeks. Therefore the Vendor has no choice but to send notice of an Unavoidable Delay, causing an extension to your occupancy date. Based on the timeframe given by the City, your occupancy date will be February 25, 2020.

Pursuant to Paragraph 4 & 5 of Schedule "X" of your Agreement of Purchase and Sale in accordance with the TARION Addendum, we hereby advise that the Vendor wishes to extend the Critical Dates (as define in the TARION Addendum) on account of the Unavoidable Delay described above. The means that your new Firm Occupancy Date, as of the date hereof is February 25, 2020. All other terms of the Agreement shall remain the same and time shall continue to be of the essence.

February 12, 2020 Notice

Further to our recent correspondence wherein we had advised on behalf of the Vendor that an Unavoidable Delay has occurred, we have been advised that the Unavoidable Delay continues to be ongoing, and that although the correspondence provided an anticipated Occupancy Date, we have been advised by the Vendor that unfortunately this date will not be achievable.

As many of you have already completed your PDIs, you are aware that many of the suites are move-in ready.

It should be noted that the Vendor has been advised that a solution is imminent and therefore the Vendor hopes to be able to provide you with your revised Occupancy Date within the next two weeks. As this Unavoidable Delay is completely out of the control of the Vendor, once the Unavoidable Delay has ended, in accordance with the Agreement of Purchase of Sale including the Tarion Addendum, we will send out notice advising you that the Unavoidable Delay has ended and provide you with your revised Occupancy Date.

As soon as the matter at hand is resolved, occupancies can begin.

I took a walk by the place yesterday. Its a ghost town. The townhouses on the ground floor are still being worked on and from what I could see, didnt look to be in any livable condition. But maybe they're prioritizing the condo units over the townhouses?

The building lobby seems ready, the font desk is set up and had a couple monitors and phones on it but they were not on.

I could also peek in to the Canada post mail room and the mailboxes were not installed.

Thanks for the advice Anamar. This is certainly different from what the PDI person told us, but he may not be privy to the same info. I’ll follow up with them later this week and see if anything has changed. I have until the end of the week to give my notice, and probably won’t risk it without more assurance of occupancy.

I took a walk by the place yesterday. Its a ghost town. The townhouses on the ground floor are still being worked on and from what I could see, didnt look to be in any livable condition. But maybe they're prioritizing the condo units over the townhouses?

The building lobby seems ready, the font desk is set up and had a couple monitors and phones on it but they were not on.

I could also peek in to the Canada post mail room and the mailboxes were not installed.
Mail is often not delivered right away. Residents may have to go pick up their mail for a while

Lights on doesn’t necessarily mean they are working. It can just mean no one turned them off.
This is so inspiring...?
Yes, but statistically, if the lights are on, they are probably working on that unit versus working on units with lights off ;)
Since the developer is paying for temporary electricity I tend to hope they are working...
Is anyone moving in this week? We finally did our PDI last week, and our Final Occupancy date, as recorded on the slip from the builder after PDI is the second week of March. This hasn’t changed since our last notice from November.

I’m hearing people on this forum say their occupancy’s are delayed. Is this still the case.

We are also on a higher floor, and it looks to be like we would be one of the first to move in if this date is to be correct.

Wary about giving current landlord 2 months notice this week without more confidence. I don’t want my stuff in storage or to be using Air BnBs if this date is not met.

Thoughts?
Normally they start occupancy from lower floor...But I do hope you are right this time...

I kept wondering, how comes we don't receive any delay notice despite of the water main issue?

Is this even allowed under Tarion rules?

Just wondering, Has anyone actually moved to GP units ? I have a unit on top floor and received the move in date as Mid March. PDI is not yet done.

Thanks.

Just wondering, Has anyone actually moved to GP units ? I have a unit on top floor and received the move in date as Mid March. PDI is not yet done.

Thanks.
i came here to ask the same thing.

im starting to get a little concerned. can the PDI be that close to your move in date? i also have a mid march move in on the top floor

i came here to ask the same thing.

im starting to get a little concerned. can the PDI be that close to your move in date? i also have a mid march move in on the top floor
I believe there aren't any rules around how close a PDI is to your move-in. So technically, it could be the day before. There are also no rules around any issues caught during the PDI to be fixed before move-in, unless they are "livability" concerns (no toilet, no water, etc.). They only need to deliver against the Tarion rules, which only apply after occupation.

However, reputable builders have the PDI around two months out, giving them time to fix any issues before occupancy – so you have a smooth transition into your new home. I've experienced this with Great Gulf, Concert and Tridel.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Our PDI was just a couple of days before possession; it just means that you'll be living there while they're fixing things, although hopefully you won't identify anything major.

It’s very weird. People are still doing PDI’s and expected to move in with interim occupancy in a week or two as confirmed by their occupancy date written on the slip provided at the PDI with no mention of a delay and yet no one is moving in and no notices have been sent to people with final occupancy date set for next week.

It is weird to me.

It’s very weird. People are still doing PDI’s and expected to move in with interim occupancy in a week or two as confirmed by their occupancy date written on the slip provided at the PDI with no mention of a delay and yet no one is moving in and no notices have been sent to people with final occupancy date set for next week.

It is weird to me.
Totally agree, it is very strange to me...

Back