News   Jul 31, 2024
 477     0 

Garbage: Pay-as-you-throw

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
GARBAGE: PAY-AS-YOU-THROW

How much greener can we get?
They're happy to recycle, but some Torontonians say user fees for garbage are a step too far
GEOFF NIXON

June 2, 2007

When it comes to diverting waste, Anita Moller is Toronto's ideal citizen. Ms. Moller diligently picks through her waste each day to put items in the blue box, green box and grey box. She shops around to avoid accumulating wasteful packaging, and her thriving backyard compost produces enough soil for her entire garden in High Park. Her household of three typically produces only one bag of garbage every two weeks.

So you'd think she would be pleased about the city's new waste plan, which imposes stricter standards and "pay-as-you-throw" fees for garbage collection. But, as it turns out, even the most dedicated of recyclers have their limits.

"With the amount of taxes we pay, they want to charge us for extra garbage?" Ms. Moller asks. "I think that would be crazy because I think that is the only [useful] service they provide to a household."

She says the city's policies are fussy enough to begin with - even without people having to adjust to the city's latest rubbish ruminations. "You're not putting out garbage for fun," she says. "It's garbage!"

Like Ms. Moller, many Torontonians are less than enthusiastic about the new proposal, feeling that they are already as thrifty as they can be about paring down their trash.

The plan, which has not yet been approved by city council, would introduce four new household garbage collection bins, ranging from a slim single-bag container to a hefty 4½-bag container that would come with a higher price tag.

Geoff Rathbone, acting general manager for the city's solid-waste services, says the plan has two goals: to raise funds to accomplish the city's goal of 70 per cent waste diversion, and to get people to more readily recycle.

Mr. Rathbone says the average single-family household puts out about 600 kilograms of garbage every year, and the new bin arrangement would probably cost about $62 per household on average.

For people who can get by with the smallest bin, there would be no additional charge for garbage disposal. Those who choose a larger bin would be faced with shelling out a yearly premium of up to $151 per year.

But during an informal survey this week, many locals who were putting out their garbage said the plan unfairly targets families.

"I think there is a general sense that this is the right thing to do," says Cheryl Regehr, who regularly combs through her recyclables as required and whose midtown household of four produces about two bags of garbage every two weeks. "You feel a sense of guilt if you're not putting things in the correct bags," she says.

But Ms. Regehr also notes that for most families, there is only so much they can do to stem the flow of waste. In her house, they joke about the "executive vice-president of garbage," the person they designate to be engaged in the complex process of sorting out recyclables from waste.

While Ms. Regehr admits that recycling has certainly reduced the amount of waste they put out to the curb over the years, she thinks it has gotten to a point where her family have very little left that they can filter out from their garbage bags.

"I think there's a finite number of things you can do to reduce garbage," Ms. Regehr says. "It's just a reality."

At the city's downtown waste-transfer station on Commissioners Street this week, many of those waiting in line to drop off extra garbage have similar sentiments.

Adam Mernick, a 36-year-old Leslieville contractor, says he sees a point in helping to offset the environmental costs of disposal. But he adds that the city's plan unfairly targets families, who will inevitably produce more garbage than other households. "We all have to do our part, and that's fair enough," he says while waiting to drop off some garbage from a renovation. Mr. Mernick figures his family will probably just roll with the punches, whether they end up paying for a larger bin or not. "It's one more way that they stick their hands in our pockets," he says.

A few cars behind Mr. Mernick, Ede Grindley is less cordial about the city's latest waste-reduction innovation. "All that City Hall seems to do is dream up new ideas for garbage," she says, adding that she rarely puts out more than one garbage bag per week.

"If it happens, it happens. We have no choice."

If the city is going to charge for household garbage pick-up, they should delete the current cost from everyone's property taxes. However, I suspect this is a revenue generating scheme for the city, since they'll charge separately for garbage pick-up and likely say that the money that orginally came from property taxes to cover this service is now needed for other matters, and that if the citizens of Toronto refused to pay for garbage pick-up, a tax increase would be put into affect.

this isn't fair. being disabled, i generate alot of medical waste and i can't help it.

if they really want to do something about garbage, it should be at the manufacturing level. the way some things are packaged is insane. i also think that recycling & trash should be merged. send everything to a sorting facility, let people or machines seperate everything, this way we can recycle even more things.

In upstate New York they had a similar "pay-as-you-throw" system where you paid incremently more for a larger garbage bin. But since it was a "it's always been this way" kind of system, nobody was protesting. I'm not sure how much garbage cost to throw before the system though.

Garbage-a interesting subject

Everyone: I myself take part as much as possible in recycling-it to me is just doing the right thing. I now look for items as an example with recyclable packaging and take part in our local recycling program as much as possible. Trash disposal can be an interesting subject-as examples I recall back in 1987 the voyage of the Garbage Barge-it was a barge full of trash from Long Island that was to be taken via the Atlantic Ocean to a Southern USA dumpsite-but the load was refused and the barge owner for a time could not find a port which will allow the barge to be unloaded until they finally found one-at considerable expense of time and traveling-that would allow the trash to be finally dumped and disposed of-I do not recall exactly where-that was an embarassment to all involved at that time.
The other trash-related story I recall is the infamous Fresh Kills landfill on Staten Island,NYC-where NYC's trash was dumped for many years. In the 90s SI got fed up and threatened for a time to secede from NYC-the landfill issue was at the top of the SI list-but relented when SIers found out how much more they would pay in taxes to support home rule. SIers found an ally in Mayor Rudy Giuliani-SI is the only Republican stronghold in NYC-and the landfill was closed finally in the late 90s. NYCs Trash is shipped by truck or rail to far-off dumpsites or processing plants today.
For that fact I am all for recycling-as said if you do not recycle you are throwing it all away! LI MIKE

People react better to positive feedback than negative feedback. If the city is going to introduce a fee on garbage bags, then it should also introduce a reward for each full bluebox or greenbin you put out. For every green garbage bag put out on the curb that is in excess of the total number of blueboxes and greenbins, you have to add a $1 tag.

If a large family produces 3 garbage bags per week but also requires two blueboxes and a greenbin, they pay no fee. If a small household also produces 3 garbage bags per week but does not recycle or compost, they would have to pay $3 to have the excact same number of garbage bags picked up.

That doesn't make much sense Chuck, as it contradicts one of the Rs... Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Even greenbin/blue box waste should be reduced, as it still requires money and energy to process.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

By reusing and recycling, people already ARE reducing. Not everything can be reused or recycled presently, so there is no contradiction.

Paying people for recyclables and organics encourages more waste, which is something we should reduce, even if these do not end up in landfills, because they require capital and energy to process.

I think Chuck's example is about reducing costs born by the consumer. No one is receiving a net gain.

Paying extra to recycle?

Everyone: From reading this topic further it seems to me that the recycling program is getting too complicated and costly. Where I live here in the Town of Islip,LI here in Suffolk County NY we have a recycling program that splits waste collection every other week-this week is paper and cardboard recycling and next week is recyclable metal,glass and plastic-comingled recylables. Recyclables are picked up in this manner each Wednesday. Another question-does Toronto fine residents for non-participation? Here in Islip Town there are inspectors that actually go around and randomly check for compliancy-I recall there are no more than 10 of them or so I recall so in a town(ship) of more than 300,000 population-the chances of any fines being issued is quite small. I always recycle if possible-heck,it's just the right thing to do! LI MIKE

That doesn't make much sense Chuck, as it contradicts one of the Rs... Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

In order to buy enough food to fill a greenbin, you'd have to spend far more than the single dollar you'd save by placing it on the curb. Same goes for buying extra whatever only to add it to a recycling bin.

The 3 Rs are, of course, in sequential order based on the most effective ways you can help the environment. As garbage would be the only thing that costs you money, people would be most likely to reduce garbage, and be all the more encouraged to divert as much as they can into recycling.

I think people will be largely complient with a pay system. The dumping argument rarely pans out because frankly people are too lazy too illegally dump. Do you ever notice that people who do illegally dump are usually old dudes? I don't know if you've ever come across it. Anyway, if they are going to a pay system I wish they would just take garbage off the tax bill entirely and privatize the whole system. I would be surprised if private operators couldn't provide better service for substantially lower cost.

In order to buy enough food to fill a greenbin, you'd have to spend far more than the single dollar you'd save by placing it on the curb. Same goes for buying extra whatever only to add it to a recycling bin.

The 3 Rs are, of course, in sequential order based on the most effective ways you can help the environment. As garbage would be the only thing that costs you money, people would be most likely to reduce garbage, and be all the more encouraged to divert as much as they can into recycling.

But it rewards the person who greenbins rather than say, composting it themselves.

Back