News   Jul 31, 2024
 417     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 624     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 497     0 

Garbage: Pay-as-you-throw

I may rue the day the garage was demolished. It would've been perfect, if a bit chilly in the winter.

The City isn't picking up garden waste every week now. That's a nuisance: big brown paper bags full of plant cuttings and weeds sitting in the back garden slowly composting, and rainy days that rot the bottom of the bag before you can get it to the curb.

Well, I used to live in Brampton, and things are so much different. For years, Peel had a 3-bag limit - you could buy tags for additional bags, but garbage is picked up weekly, not biweekly like here. Recycling (unlimited) would also be picked up weekly, but no compostable waste (except yard waste on selected weeks), when I left, but they have green bins now.

I live in a condo, so not like I care that much, but forcing houses to select a size of bin for recycling, garbage, etc, then paying for the bin's capacity, seems ridiculous to me. What's wrong with the simple blue/grey box program? Why not just sell garbage bag tags, so it really becomes pay-what-you-throw, not forever-pay-what-you-think-you-may-one-day-need?

Not only that, but Peel burns much of its trash. I tell you Peel's so strangely different.

Is TO moving to automated garbage trucks?
Vancouver only went to standardized garbage bins (5 sizes with different annual fees) because the trucks became automated.

http://www.vancouver.ca/engsvcs/solidwaste/autocollect/index.htm

Garbage Container Sizes and Fees (new fees begin in 2006)
Container Size (litres) Collection Fee
75 $70
120 $82
180 $99
240 $115
360 $147

Yard Trimmings Container Sizes and Fees (new fees begin in 2007)
Container Size (litres) Approximate Fee (per year)
120 $32
180 $34
240 $37
360 $42

I think it would be better to charge per unit (for example per pound of trash, or per 10 pounds). This way, compacters would be useless, but if you're on vacation you wouldn't be charged anything for the 0 pounds you throw out that week. Isn't this a flat rate charge for using the container for the month? I think if the truck could weigh how much you're throwing out and log the numbers, the process of cutting down what you're throwing out could be more scientific. Also, the city would not have to give everyone a new container and refund.

Back