News   Jul 10, 2024
 332     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 509     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.3K     2 

G-20 Summit in Toronto

I've got better things to do with my time than try to prove a point to someone who twists words, in an attempt to prove an argument. If anyone else is reading this, they can see the video and judge for themselves.
What, as opposed to someone who simply lies to us about what is in the video? And talk about twisting words ... your word twisting is borderline criminal. In fact I'd say you are provoking and inciting. And that you are an agent provocateur. What your motive is, however, is beyond me. Perhaps you are one of those who is more interested in trying to trash our city, than protesting?

I am not sure what the gene is called.

I am convinced large numbers of uniformed police "excite" any population. Way too many neurons firing, and the excitement is overwhlming to a certain segment of the population. I'm referring to mentally disturbed people, delusionals, paranoids, conspiracy types, NDP types (and Celts). I have never had so many odd people as in the last few days make conspirital comments from their bikes.

Oh good, lump the NDP in with the mentally disturbed. Good idea. *pops popcorn*

I am not sure what the gene is called.

I am convinced large numbers of uniformed police "excite" any population. Way too many neurons firing, and the excitement is overwhlming to a certain segment of the population. I'm referring to mentally disturbed people, delusionals, paranoids, conspiracy types, NDP types (and Celts). I have never had so many odd people as in the last few days make conspirital comments from their bikes.

I feel slightly dumber having read this post. Did the folks who post in the Sun comments find a link to this website?

I feel slightly dumber having read this post...

Ok, you are slipping into the profile I have described.

(In all seriousness, I support mental health fund raising and these events stress/excite some of the vulnerable people in any city.)

I doubt we'd need many police if only that was happening.

We wouldn't, but the vast majority of protesters are peaceful and any escalation of violence, whether on the part of the police or by other protesters, puts those innocent people at risk. The right to peaceful assembly and free speech must be protected just as much as the G-20 leaders themselves. In this case, it would be more helpful for the police to reach out to protest leaders instead of planting disguised officers amongst them. Like I said, the vast majority of protesters and protest organizers want a peaceful protest. The police should encourage this and respect those committed to non-violence.

Freedom and slippery slope....

I heard them raging about this yesterday on the radio and I can understand people being outraged. And this is how I understood what happend....

First, some cabinet ministers got together and quietly passed this into law without it going through Queen's Park from as I understand it. Very shifty and undemacratic if you ask me. And second, since when do citizens need to show ID while walking the streets? The police need some specific reason to ask for ID or search bags. They aren't suppose to just randomally stop and question people.

Save for this special part of town where the rules were quietly changed without informing the public until it became a law. A temporary law mind you but still this is something to be concerned about. But I would like to add that if the police do ask for ID and the individual doesn't want to comply they do have the right to walk away from the zone and the police are suppose to let the go. But people don't know this.

Like I said. It's a slipperly slope when this sort of thing happens.

Last edited:
The video shows the 3 undercover officers just standing there, and not quite knowing what to do after they were outed by members in the crowd speaking in French. Oddly the guy shouting in English doesn't seem to have figured it out, and perhaps doesn't understand those shouting in French. They didn't so much seem to be inciting it, but moved to the corner and talked with the police, and then pushed there way in ... I expect after they were outed they just wanted to make sure they weren't with the protesters. I'm not seeing much inciting going on here ... more pant shitting than anything else.

Now you are just making stuff up. The SQ never admitted that they were provocateurs? Why do you find the need to lie about this?
Come on nfitz, the officers were wearing camo, had their faces masked, and were carrying rocks in a protest that was mostly people wearing regular clothes, many of them middle aged. You honestly think the officers' clothing and actions weren't designed to provoke people? They weren't there to blend with the crowd, that's for sure.

buildup:

What reasonable person would refuse to provide ID or allow a search in a protest with a violent legacy? These laws seem intrusive in theory. But imagine a real example where some tatooed protestor with a t-shirt wrapped around his head and what appear to be rocks in his pocket refuses to tell an officer who he is, or allow them to check his pockets? We have rights in a democracy, I am not sure where anonimity became one of them. If your intentions are honourable, legal protest, why be afraid of indentifying yourself?

First of all, there is NO requirement for citizens to carry an ID in Canada. Second, there is a bit of a difference between someone with an appearance as you've described vs. those who had actually been arrested so far under this law. Third, if you are arguing that we live under a democracy, then doesn't citizens have the right to know about this change and have the chance to debate it? That hasn't happened. In fact, it would appear that the government tried very hard to ensure that this change remains hidden. Why is that?

AoD

Last edited:
buildup:

First of all, there is NO requirement for citizens to carry an ID in Canada. Second, there is a bit of a difference between someone with an appearance as you've described vs. those who had actually been arrested so far under this law. Third, if you are arguing that we live under a democracy, then doesn't citizens have the right to know about this change and have the chance to debate it? That hasn't happened. In fact, it would appear that the government tried very hard to ensure that this change remains hidden. Why is that?

AoD

The law passed in 1990. As for the order in Council, if the government mass mailed every order in council out to journalists it would just be an information overload - no journalist would ever have read it, it would have not changed the situation as it rolled out.

Last edited:
Wonderful. GO Trains are now stopping at Mimico and Danforth.

I don't know why they weren't upfront about this back when they announced the security plans.

The Subway is apparently closed south of Bloor too and the 509 has been stopped. I think it's because all of the leaders are arriving as I type this (been watching their helicopters fly over my building and land at the convention centre).

Welcome to Canada. Unless for some peculiar reason only white immigrants have chosen to march, then I will stick with my assertion that a crowd which is about 90% white, in a city which has perhaps a 30-40% visible minority, is not an immigrant protest. Chinese, Indians, Africans etc are probably working too hard paying their mortgages and saving for thier children's education. As an aside, they are probably happy to see the emergence of the G20.

That explains all the South Vietnamese flags I saw among protesters on TV.

Back