News   Jul 22, 2024
 456     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 594     0 

Future Westbank Project (Bjarke Ingels)

Not sure why some of you have a problem with the possibility of good development happening in places like Don Mills. I say bring it on! The density in the middle burbs could be increased 10 fold, especially along main arteries and in and around malls. If they're developed properly, I think we'll be seeing places like Don Mills, Cliffside and many other middle suburb areas, become destination neighbourhoods in the next 20 years.

Not sure why some of you have a problem with the possibility of good development happening in places like Don Mills. I say bring it on! .

I agree, and ecstatic that we are getting some of his work in Toronto:cool:
But its not so much about good development happening in Don Mills, but more about an international architect designing something out of the core....we need more of Bjarke Ingels designs downtown.

Yeah, having his design in the core would be amazing!! But that does not mean anyone should be upset about or complain about this project.. Don Mills is actually really nice. The outdoor mall is great and its becoming pretty upscale! I love this!! Enough with the "downtown or nothing" attitude when it comes to things like this!!

Yeah, having his design in the core would be amazing!! But that does not mean anyone should be upset about or complain about this project.. Don Mills is actually really nice. The outdoor mall is great and its becoming pretty upscale! I love this!! Enough with the "downtown or nothing" attitude when it comes to things like this!!
To me, it's a sign of a City that is growing up... If you had a new Ingels going up in London say, where would you put it? Canary Wharf? Mayfair? Commercial district? South of the Thames (ala the Shard)?... A truly big city houses interesting projects in more places than just "the core"... I like the location a lot...

Possible sites?

The mostly likely sites for this development are the NE or SE corners of Don Mills Rd. and Eglinton Ave. Or better still, both!

Attachments

• don-mills.jpg
    don-mills.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 303
To me, it's a sign of a City that is growing up... If you had a new Ingels going up in London say, where would you put it? Canary Wharf? Mayfair? Commercial district? South of the Thames (ala the Shard)?... A truly big city houses interesting projects in more places than just "the core"... I like the location a lot...

And, remember, too: Torontonians tend not to be in any way resentful that Mississauga has Marilyn. In fact, in a case light that, Mississauga might as well be an extension of Toronto...

Though even if more proximate, Toronto Township had little more to do with the City of Toronto than Perth has to do with Perth County or Simcoe has to do with Simcoe County...

Actually quite the opposite. Many of the city's intellectual & business elite owned "summer homes" in Toronto Township--esp what is now PC/Clarkson but many also owned large tracks of land that gradually became farmland in what is now north of the QEW-401 area. I know some British gentry that did business in the city owned thousands of acres in Toronto Township. They produced wine, artisan products etc.

Later, most of the ppl that moved into suburban housing c.1950s-1970s originated in Toronto proper.

Last edited:
Yeah, but that's conventional suburbanism, no different from Long Island or Westchester. The common name of "Toronto" was pure happenstance (as opposed, to say, Kingston viz. the former Kingston Township)

The mostly likely sites for this development are the NE or SE corners of Don Mills Rd. and Eglinton Ave. Or better still, both!

That's a possibility considering BIG's Beach + Howe Vancouver project takes up multiple pieces of land.

Piecing together a few hints, we had pretty confidently nailed it down a few pages back to be a joint venture involving Westbank and Cadillac Fairview, the latter of whom owns the Shops at Don Mills. BIG (with Hariri Pontarini as the local partner) will do two residential towers, one taller, one less so, integrated into Shops at Don Mills (Don Mills & Lawrence) a la Flaire.

Assuming that's what does indeed pan out, no need to worry, the Ingels speculation machine can keep running and move on to two other mysterious projects that the rumour mill had suggested he was in the mix on for our fair 'burg, one of which involved Graywood Developments, and the other which was supposedly an institutional building (although, on reflection, what institutional projects are there even in the pipeline at present?).

Back