News   Jun 03, 2024
 441     0 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.2K     9 
News   May 31, 2024
 4.2K     3 

Future Westbank Project (Bjarke Ingels)

I asked Leftcoaster a couple of months ago if the one at Don Mills Mall was still on, and he said that it was but that the developers were just taking their sweet old time with it.

Calgary might end up with a better landmark-to-regular-building ratio than Toronto in terms of skyscrapers. In Toronto, I think the landmark-to-regular-building ratio is too low. A lot of people here automatically get concerned about more landmarks creating a ratio that's too high for a chaotic cityscape, but we're really far from that on the low end. For every L Tower, perhaps 50 boxes rise. That isn't enough, and you can photograph many parts of the downtown and not get a single interesting skyscraper in the frame.

But seriously who cares ... this won't be donwtown or anywhere near it ... heck even MCC is a more interesting location (just in terms of how well known it is).

It'll be a waste of a good design ...

I remember reading that there are currently 3 Bjarke projects ongoing in the City... I bet at least 1 is downtown.

There was going to be a Bjarke Ingels project on Yonge Street, not far from Aura et al. but it's no longer on the cards.

But seriously who cares ... this won't be donwtown or anywhere near it ... heck even MCC is a more interesting location (just in terms of how well known it is).

It'll be a waste of a good design ...

Don Mills is one of Toronto's higher-profile neighbourhoods, even though it's suburban. It has a rich architectural heritage from the Modern movement. I welcome great architecture all around the city.

Last edited:
Calgary might end up with a better landmark-to-regular-building ratio than Toronto in terms of skyscrapers. In Toronto, I think the landmark-to-regular-building ratio is too low. A lot of people here automatically get concerned about more landmarks creating a ratio that's too high for a chaotic cityscape, but we're really far from that on the low end. For every L Tower, perhaps 50 boxes rise. That isn't enough, and you can photograph many parts of the downtown and not get a single interesting skyscraper in the frame.

I'll take 50 bland boxes over the tastelessly decorated boxes they put up. In regards to the Bow, it was value engineered that its landmark status reflects more the large commercial investors of today and their tenants (particularly in Canada) than its architectural character. The site planning from an urban standpoint makes 1970s downtown Toronto look good too.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-toronto-retailer-honest-eds/article15107432/

Don Mills project dead

maybe we'll see BIG at Bathurst and Bloor ?

I saw this quote and wondered -- do you suppose it is dead, or just not going ahead right now? What would prevent this project from happening?

I sent an email to Cadillac Fairview (I believe), about a year ago, re the Don Mills Bjarke Ingels project, and I'm pretty sure they said it wouldn't be going ahead right now, but they didn't confirm that it was dead. Who knows what's going to happen?

Last edited:

Back