News   Mar 28, 2024
 452     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 384     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 733     0 

Forum Upgrade

It’d be nice to move “New Posts” back out of the hamburger menu; it takes more clicks to get there than it used to, and I imagine clicking that link is a very common user action.

It’d be nice to move “New Posts” back out of the hamburger menu; it takes more clicks to get there than it used to, and I imagine clicking that link is a very common user action.

Same with unread watched threads. You now have to click on watched threads on mobile and wade through all the watched threads to find ones unread. Prior to this they were all separate on one page.

Makes finding unread threads more of a pain in the ass now.

I don't know why, but on the "forum" page, only some of the topics show the time of last post.

My logo appears larger - I will have to find something more exciting than the letter "B"

Same with unread watched threads. You now have to click on watched threads on mobile and wade through all the watched threads to find ones unread. Prior to this they were all separate on one page.

Makes finding unread threads more of a pain in the ass now.
I did some digging through the new lay-out and discovered this page: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/whats-new/posts/601/

Note how on top of the threads list, there is a filter, and you can filter for "unread" ?

I would like to have that functionality added to the watched threads page.

(Though this still remains challenging when on mobile)

I hate it. I have a hard time viewing anything on the forum. It is very blockish and it makes finding anything on mobile a pain. I prefer the old look.

I prefer the old look as well but that's the price of progress. We'll all forget the old look soon enough.

Thanks for all the work on the upgrade...change is always tough. Couple of things (one not related to the upgrade):

1. Would it be possible to "unsticky" some of the stickied posts? Many go back years and they take up a lot of space at the top of each forum, pushing the real new content far down the page (especially on smaller screens where the new content is 2 or 3 full screens of scrolling down the page).
2. When logged in, I'm finding that the forum topics that have updates since last view are tougher to pick out. Maybe the text isn't as "bolder" as before?
3. Maybe the generic "initial" user icons are a bit too strong, but they are better than the old male/female icons were...

Thanks for all the work on the upgrade...change is always tough. Couple of things (one not related to the upgrade):

1. Would it be possible to "unsticky" some of the stickied posts? Many go back years and they take up a lot of space at the top of each forum, pushing the real new content far down the page (especially on smaller screens where the new content is 2 or 3 full screens of scrolling down the page).
2. When logged in, I'm finding that the forum topics that have updates since last view are tougher to pick out. Maybe the text isn't as "bolder" as before?
3. Maybe the generic "initial" user icons are a bit too strong, but they are better than the old male/female icons were...
Remove sticky’d threads and add sticky’d posts in the threads. It encourages you to upload your own profile picture.

Maybe it's just my phone, but if on mobile when looking at a Forum and list of threads, it doesn't have any clickable page numbers following the thread name. Like "page 1...27,28". So in order to enter a thread I'd be defaulted to page 1, when most likely want to see the last page.

Also kinda related. But last time the forum was upgraded I bemoaned the data bandwidth it used while surfing. I'm kinda dumb, and that was largely based off a few instances when I used my laptop tethered to my phone's data hotspot. Like at the cottage or something. Was my bad, and figured out it was background apps on my laptop. Turned on 'metered connection' and no problems.

Maybe it's just my phone, but if on mobile when looking at a Forum and list of threads, it doesn't have any clickable page numbers following the thread name. Like "page 1...27,28". So in order to enter a thread I'd be defaulted to page 1, when most likely want to see the last page.

Also kinda related. But last time the forum was upgraded I bemoaned the data bandwidth it used while surfing. I'm kinda dumb, and that was largely based off a few instances when I used my laptop tethered to my phone's data hotspot. Like at the cottage or something. Was my bad, and figured out it was background apps on my laptop. Turned on 'metered connection' and no problems.
Have you tried rotatin you phone to landscape? That’s the only way I can get page numbers to appear. As for defaulting to the first page on a fully read thread, this was here before the update. A way to solve this is to press the “Last Post” text to go to the latest post, but it won’t go to the oldest not read post.

I'm pretty indifferent to the changes, but I do like the bigger profile pics. My only other comment is on the colour scheme. There's lots of grey, it really washes it out a bit. Perhaps there's some additional blue accents to work in somewhere?

1541444793677.png

I'm pretty indifferent to the changes, but I do like the bigger profile pics. My only other comment is on the colour scheme. There's lots of grey, it really washes it out a bit. Perhaps there's some additional blue accents to work in somewhere?

View attachment 162883
Maybe add different profile sidebar colours based on their rank on the forums.

Totally agree with 1.

Have you tried rotatin you phone to landscape? That’s the only way I can get page numbers to appear. As for defaulting to the first page on a fully read thread, this was here before the update. A way to solve this is to press the “Last Post” text to go to the latest post, but it won’t go to the oldest not read post.

Didn't see anything when rotating, but no matter cuz I figured out that the timestamp below the thread name is a hyperlink that takes me to the last post. which may have existed before, and is all that's really needed. good stuff.

I can't bedtime surf it on my Android tablet anymore, the font is too small and if I zoom then I have to scroll back and forth horizontally. It seems immune to the text size setting in Chrome. :( My Android phone formats it differently and works fine, I'm guessing it uses a mobile site version instead, but I can't find 'mobile site' or 'desktop site' links anywhere on the page to deliberately change it up and experiment. Am I missing something?

Back