1.6K     1 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 731     0 

Finding apartments

• Thread starter fiendishlibrarian
  • Start date
F

fiendishlibrarian

In the experience of the members here, what is the best resource to find apartments?

The last time I was looking to rent (spring 1997) I recall that the Star had the most listings.

Check out those renter's mags you find on the street. MLS.ca also has some listings.

Depends what kind of apartment you are looking for. Private or small landlord in house or small apartment building -the Star . Large multi-residential building- renters magazines. Higher end and house apartment rental-Viewit.ca. Craigslist predominently young people and sublets (most conventional rental sources couldn't tell you what craigslist is).

I'd also suggest going through a real-estate agent. I've come across many rentals which weren't in any magazines or newspapers.

They also seem to have access to some of the better properties out there for rent.

Thanks all. Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of a unit in building, close to the Yonge line, from between Lawrence and St. Clair. Pricey-ish, I know, but it's convenient for me and I've always loved the area. As for using an agent, I would assume there are fees involved, and that may make it a bit more expensive. Anyone have any experience living in that corridor?

As for using an agent, I would assume there are fees involved, and that may make it a bit more expensive.

The fees are paid by the landlord because they hired the agent to show their suite. I rented my last condo through a real estate agent and it was a very pleasant experience.

"Anyone have any experience living in that corridor?"

Technically no, but I lived in an apartment at Yonge & York Mills for a year and spent tons of time farther south. You already know how great and convenient the area is, but I think it's worth the extra $$$ you'll end up spending on rent (but maybe not that much more money - we were in a fairly expensive 2 bedroom unit which you may not be looking for). I went to the 24 hour Dominion at Lawrence and the 24 hour Sobey's at St. Clair all the time - too bad the Loblaws at Yonge & Yonge is so annoying to get to. There's some low-rise apartments right on Yonge around Lawrence (I think one's called the Chatsworth) that look interesting (never been in them, though) but I don't know if they rent for more or less than the commie towers farther south.

I live at yonge and eglinton. Great area. Many times i do wish i lived further downtown.

I'm renting a 2 bedroom apartment at 500 Duplex (west side of yonge st, north or eglinton) for around 1700. if you didnt pay for parking it would be around 1500. Air conditioned. Pretty large units, Bad elevators but there can be worse things.

There are many many rental units around here. Erskin Ave, Broadway, Roehampton, etc. Too many streets to mention. Shop around and you'll find the best place. Don't buy any landlords excuse that they don't have many units available. Its only a ploy to get you to sign the contract immediately. There are many vacancies around the city.

But i'd still suggest and agent. It is free as well. No fees involved. Its in the owners best interest to get their units rented.

my brother and i lived in a 1930's apartment complex right on yonge at lawrence for a few years. really great neighbourhood. the bartender at bedfords wouldn't let us pay for our drinks, the drycleaner knew our names, bacon and eggs on saturdays at harry's charbroiler, sunday dinner at the abbott. i hated taking the subway to work though.

those old apartments are nice but it's really a crapshoot - some have been maintained really well and others are pretty rundown.

I lived for years at Yonge & St. Clair. If you can get into 77 St. Clair East, you're golden. Large apartments, Sobeys and a dry cleaner on the ground floor, 2 mins to the subway. Fantastic views both north and south.

60 Pleasant Boulevard has good apartments too, but the landlord is a crook.

Thought I'd bring this thread back from the brink...I have finally settled into my new place in the Forest Laneway apartments at Yonge and Sheppard. Wow, are the units big! My 1 BR (all utilities and parking: 1200/mo), is huge, 740 sq/ft. Well-maintained building, new appliances, hardwood floors, and I have a view north (from the 29th floor) along Yonge and the emerging Yonge and Doris St. condo canyons. I can walk to a Dominion, beer store, shops, pubs, etc., and I have two subway lines connected to my building. It's by the 401 so I'm at UTSC in 20 minutes...highly recommended for anyone who works either downtown, or north of the 401, and who still wants to be close to transit and other amenities. Yes, it's NYCC, not the Danforth, but it works for me. From my balcony I can see two condos (Dia, and one in front of me, next to the XO condo) being built, and soon two more (the Pulse towers, cranes should be put up any time now).

Have to say, these units were the best I saw, next to the Lascelles buildings by Davisville Stn (which I didn't go for as my commute times would double). People I know who have bought new condos cannot believe the room I have for the money I'm paying.

Back