News   Aug 23, 2024
 998     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.5K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 522     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I'm sure that ML worked extra hard to get the transit line in Dougie's riding finished!

I'm hoping it opens sometime in the Fall - I might even be able to use it for my commute.

Side note: I still think that big "T" is goofy as hell.
Oh most definitely. Look how fast they're also working on the Eglinton west extension in hs riding. That side will be done before the line opens.

August CLC docs are up https://assets.metrolinx.com/image/upload/v1722977173/Images/Metrolinx/CLC_August_2024.pdf

Progress from July to August: 99.44% to 99.49% on whole project completion
1723036946217.png

1723037080386.png

1723037320210.png

1723037018660.png
1723037046706.png

1723037295554.png
1723037369903.png

I would think a discussion is ongoing about whether to open Line 6 first or to have 5 and 6 open in conjunciton. There are probably some plusses to opening them both together, but also a larger degree of risk.
Since Line 5 and 6 will operate from the same division, the same crews would have to be train for both lines? I think is the biggest hold up.

Might be a dumb question but... Why are the track slabs next to the platforms painted with green stripes? Is it just for visibility/caution of the tracks when passengers are on the platform or is there another reason?

Might be a dumb question but... Why are the track slabs next to the platforms painted with green stripes? Is it just for visibility/caution of the tracks when passengers are on the platform or is there another reason?
Obviously there are elevators at each platform that bring the LRVs down underground to do maintenance and they are there to indicate the moving ground. ;)

Obviously there are elevators at each platform that bring the LRVs down underground to do maintenance and they are there to indicate the moving ground. ;)
uhhh ACTUALLY...🤓 the Finch West LRVs will do maintenance at the Finch West LRT Storage and Maintenance facility located at 50 York Gate Boulevard. I understand it is possible you are being facetious 🧐. However, in the case that you are not then I would have attempted to correct you but since I have answered this question too many times on this forum I will get ChatGPT to INFORM you of how the maintenance on the LRVs will actually occur:

Prompt: Tell me about the maintenance facility for Line 6 Finch West LRT.

ChatGPT Response: The Finch West LRT Line 6 maintenance and storage facility, located at 50 York Gate Boulevard in Toronto, serves as the central hub for the operation and upkeep of the Finch West Light Rail Transit system. This state-of-the-art facility is equipped to handle routine maintenance, inspections, and repairs of the LRT vehicles, ensuring they remain in optimal condition for daily service. Additionally, the facility provides secure storage for the fleet when not in operation. Designed with sustainability and efficiency in mind, the maintenance and storage facility includes advanced diagnostic tools, eco-friendly practices, and ample space to accommodate future expansions of the LRT system. The facility plays a crucial role in supporting the reliable and efficient transit service that the Finch West LRT Line 6 aims to provide to the community.

Prompt: How will Finch West LRVs get to the maintenance facility?

ChatGPT Response: The Finch West LRT trains access the maintenance and storage facility via a dedicated track that connects directly to the main LRT line. This connection allows the trains to seamlessly transition from the operating route to the facility without disrupting regular transit service. Typically, a designated spur or a series of switch tracks lead from the mainline to the facility, ensuring smooth and efficient movement of trains in and out of the maintenance area. This setup allows for the easy transfer of vehicles for scheduled maintenance, inspections, and repairs, while also providing a secure location for storage when the trains are not in service. The design and infrastructure of the connecting tracks are engineered to accommodate the specific needs of the LRT vehicles, ensuring safety and operational efficiency.

As you can see, the LRVs will not use an elevator at each platform for maintenance as that would be far too silly!

I would imagine it is to make it a bit more obvious that that is not where pedestrians should stand. Diagonal lines tends to mean hazard. With the platform being concrete and the track bed being concrete they may have felt a few more additional visual queues might be beneficial. Hopefully they don't end up needing to make it look ridiculous with Queens Quay Tunnel like signs and flashing lights when a different surface treatment that looks less like sidewalk and less like road will do.

Back