News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.2K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.6K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 634     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I like to remind people that the 99 in Vancouver moves like 50k plus per day, a lot more than Finch. So yes.
Even the 99 is often too busy to get on during rush hour, still have to let busses go by, and that's with seemingly minute frequencies of the articulated bus.

For comparison, the 99 averaged 57k riders/day in 2019, and TTC Finch West 47k/day for the 36 (2018), and 35k/day for the 939 (2018).

As for the "customer experience" riding the 99 is not enjoyable in the slightest, wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Even the 99 is often too busy to get on during rush hour, still have to let busses go by, and that's with seemingly minute frequencies of the articulated bus.

For comparison, the 99 averaged 57k riders/day in 2019, and TTC Finch West 47k/day for the 36 (2018), and 35k/day for the 939 (2018).

As for the "customer experience" riding the 99 is not enjoyable in the slightest, wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Aha, but thats the difference. The 99 is *just* the Broadway Express. There are also several other routes on Broadway with different stopping patterns. There is *no* Finch West Express.

Aha, but thats the difference. The 99 is *just* the Broadway Express. There are also several other routes on Broadway with different stopping patterns. There is *no* Finch West Express.
Right but at its current state the 99 still can't handle the ridership that it's receiving, the other routes (9 and 14) don't matter when we're just looking at whether the 99 B-Line can handle its current load. It is also well established that the 99 is over capacity, hence the project to build the Broadway subway, that is very overdue.

With the Finch bus drawing similar capacity, and will only projected to increase as Toronto's population continues to rapidly grow, it's a smart decision to build higher order transit.

This doesn't even begin to get into the discussion of transit equity to provide high quality transit to traditionally underserved of the city.

Right but at its current state the 99 still can't handle the ridership that it's receiving, the other routes (9 and 14) don't matter when we're just looking at whether the 99 B-Line can handle its current load. It is also well established that the 99 is over capacity, hence the project to build the Broadway subway, that is very overdue.

With the Finch bus drawing similar capacity, and will only projected to increase as Toronto's population continues to rapidly grow, it's a smart decision to build higher order transit.

This doesn't even begin to get into the discussion of transit equity to provide high quality transit to traditionally underserved of the city.
If demand is that high, I am not sure why we are just building LRT, Vancouver certainly isn't on Broadway!

If demand is that high, I am not sure why we are just building LRT, Vancouver certainly isn't on Broadway!
Just the way the Broadway corridor is built would be really challenging for anything other than buried, like Eg "subway LRT", whereas Finch is very wide, so much easier to do surface transit, although should be full signal priority.

It's also an extension of skytrain which is more similar to what you're getting in the Ontario Line, whereas Finch doesn't have any existing rapid transit technology that it needs to "match up with". Also the growth plans for the Broadway corridor are far more ambitious than Finch, it's shaping up to be more like the equivalent of Bloor-Danforth.

Please remind me when this line is to be in service as it sure doesn't look like it will happen based on what we saw today??

Its still a bitch going west until you are past Weston Rd, but better than the last time I was on Finch.

Jan 14/22
See other threads for the line that I shot today.

My first look at the guideway and not over built like Eglinton. Weather was against me as well finding a place to park to take shots

Don't who doing the new hydro lines as they have a hell lot of work to be done before road work can take place. Not much has change when I saw the route about 6 months ago.

Until they fix turning lanes at a number of location, traffic will crawl really slow with long backups.

Never seen this type of drain system for the line that I have seen elsewhere.
51821679464_249b21501d_b.jpg

51822060260_3881f7701e_b.jpg

51822060310_e9d4bc070a_b.jpg

51821337031_64fc4a0e25_b.jpg

51821448738_618d59b835_b.jpg

51821448673_74209a2057_b.jpg

My mind continues to be boggled at how rapidly this is progressing. Revenue service is scheduled for just next year (2023). A few years of construction pain will be well worth it.

Do we yet know when in 2023 this will be operational?
This is the real thing about surface lrt…. If we could get the approvals process under control they really wouldn’t be especially significant projects.

My mind continues to be boggled at how rapidly this is progressing. Revenue service is scheduled for just next year (2023). A few years of construction pain will be well worth it.

If the Finch LRT project was the first to start and complete, the city would be much more enthusiastic about completing LRT projects and there would be plans to have LRT across the city - not only Eg East and the Waterfront.

Offhand, not sure; but, I can tell you that the TTC's revenue estimate for the Finch West LRT is just under 1/2 of the 2024 number in 2023.

On a straight-line basis that would seem to suggest Q3 2023; but if you assume daily revenue/ridership will increase in 2024, could be a tad sooner.

If the Finch LRT project was the first to start and complete, the city would be much more enthusiastic about completing LRT projects and there would be plans to have LRT across the city - not only Eg East and the Waterfront.
The biggest impediment was that Miller decided not to run in 2010, not that I'm convinced he would have won anyway.

The biggest impediment was that Miller decided not to run in 2010, not that I'm convinced he would have won anyway.
Miller not running in 2010 set transit back a decade or so, but there would have been major issues if lines got built as plan. He would had a harder fight for reelection going against the Ford boys.

The biggest issue would have seen the old fleet hanging around for another 5 years or so since BBD was already behind replacing it. The new lines would be getting new cars for them while the existing lines would see them in small batches and spread out another 5 years.

We may have seen TTC gauge on the new lines since a few lines were to connect to TTC network or could be. There was talk at one time that St Clair line could be cut from the existing network when it came time to replace the rails on it. Tracks and switches would become standard gauge.

Waterfront LRT would be operating now as well the SRT LRT line replacement and extension. Finch would be stopping at Yonge under phase one and then extended east of Yonge under phase 2..

From my point of view, the east Finch extension would generate a higher ridership than the west until the west section got built to the airport. Even with the extension to the airport, the west would still behind the east for numbers.

I would expect that there would have been another supplier or 2 for new cars to meet the needs of all the lines as there was no way that BBD could fill the the number of cars that would be needed.

Will we see someone come out of the woodwork to run against Tory that could set transit back again considering Ford is calling the shots these days on transit???

Miller not running in 2010 set transit back a decade or so, but there would have been major issues if lines got built as plan. He would had a harder fight for reelection going against the Ford boys.

The biggest issue would have seen the old fleet hanging around for another 5 years or so since BBD was already behind replacing it. The new lines would be getting new cars for them while the existing lines would see them in small batches and spread out another 5 years.

We may have seen TTC gauge on the new lines since a few lines were to connect to TTC network or could be. There was talk at one time that St Clair line could be cut from the existing network when it came time to replace the rails on it. Tracks and switches would become standard gauge.

Waterfront LRT would be operating now as well the SRT LRT line replacement and extension. Finch would be stopping at Yonge under phase one and then extended east of Yonge under phase 2..

From my point of view, the east Finch extension would generate a higher ridership than the west until the west section got built to the airport. Even with the extension to the airport, the west would still behind the east for numbers.

I would expect that there would have been another supplier or 2 for new cars to meet the needs of all the lines as there was no way that BBD could fill the the number of cars that would be needed.

Will we see someone come out of the woodwork to run against Tory that could set transit back again considering Ford is calling the shots these days on transit???

Since the Finch LRT is on schedule to be up and running in 2023, shouldn't city hall start to discuss the next phase of extension?

Back