News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 535     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

The depressing and short answer to this: it's "too confusing" for people and the TTC will probably be inundated with complaints about missed trains.

I hope it will be fine. A lot of riders will switch to LRT from the bus, they know how the bus works and will use LRT in the same manner.

New riders will learn by watching the "experienced riders" and learn for themselves after a couple of rides.

The issue then is especially if off peak your headways aren't going to be that even (10 mins I believe for Finch West), what does it mean for people who need to catch the train at a certain time? The train just zoomed past the station 2 mins ahead of schedule and now you have to wait possibly 12 minutes if not more for the next train.

If a line runs every 5 min or 10 min, hardly anyone tries to catch a particular departure. People simply come to the stop and wait for the next bus / train to show up.

Schedule begins to matter when the service runs once in 15-20 min or worse.

If a line runs every 5 min or 10 min, hardly anyone tries to catch a particular departure. People simply come to the stop and wait for the next bus / train to show up.

Schedule begins to matter when the service runs once in 15-20 min or worse.
eh, at 10 minutes you are already hitching plans, especially if you live near the station and its the middle of Winter. Unfortunately the surface shelters we're using are beyond awful, so the average person wouldn't want to wait on the platform any longer than they have to.

eh, at 10 minutes you are already hitching plans, especially if you live near the station and its the middle of Winter. Unfortunately the surface shelters we're using are beyond awful, so the average person wouldn't want to wait on the platform any longer than they have to.

That's not my experience, as a regular transit user (before Covid). I expect any departure will be off schedule by a few minutes, and that's usually the case. So, I just walk to the stop and wait for the next vehicle.

I only walk to the schedule when I have to, and that's when the service interval is greater than 15 min.

That's not my experience, as a regular transit user (before Covid). I expect any departure will be off schedule by a few minutes, and that's usually the case. So, I just walk to the stop and wait for the next vehicle.

I only walk to the schedule when I have to, and that's when the service interval is greater than 15 min.
Well I can speak for the opposite when it comes to my personal experience. When I lived in Ottawa I would always keep track for when the next arrived if I needed to head somewhere, and this is 12 minute headways we're talking.

Again that's assuming that it will have a skip stop pattern, which while according to @smallspy is what the TTC wants to do, from what I've seen Metrolinx say so far, it seems the plan at least at launch is to not skip stops at all. If you want to keep to a consistent headway, allowing LRVs to skip stop is the easiest way to absolutely kill that and to introduce bunching into the system as we see with Viva in York Region or the Toronto Streetcars (In York Region, while Viva Blue did operate every 7.5 minutes off peak, you would quite often see a situation where busses start to bunch up and you have a bus 4-5 minutes after the last, and the next bus 10 minutes after that. This persisted even after the new rapidway opened). Also, if the LRTs does skip stops, remind me exactly what the difference between Line 6 and the 510 is again, and why are they branded differently?
So how do you explain bunching on the subway, where every single train stops at every single station?

The fact of the matter is that so long as humans are involved, there will be some variation to the way the equipment is operated and utilized. Bunching will happen - but its up to good supervision to deal with it.

Dan

38 minutes is still faster than the hour or so it currently takes to travel on the 36.

Also when I took the 36 regularly, we’d hit a lot of traffic. An express bus would be in the same traffic. I’m not sure how much faster it would actually be.
The LRVs benefit from an exclusive ROW, all door boarding via 5 doors and wider stop spacing. I bet a kidney (someone else’s kidney) that the FWLRT will be substantially faster than the existing bus

But you could just paint lanes for an express bus, this is the problem - better than nothing is a low bar to clear, especially when spending billions.

Metrolinx has said a lot of things.

The line will be operated by the TTC however, and their impression is that they will be operating the line on the surface section with stops on-demand.

All underground stops will be operated as a subway, with each train stopping and opening all doors.

Dan
TTC has stated this on multiple occasions too, people have Tweeted at Stuart Green etc.

But you could just paint lanes for an express bus, this is the problem - better than nothing is a low bar to clear, especially when spending billions.
Would that be sufficient to handle passenger demands though?

Anecdotally, my previous experience with the Finch West route is that passengers have to wait for several busses before having enough space to accommodate them.

Would that be sufficient to handle passenger demands though?

Anecdotally, my previous experience with the Finch West route is that passengers have to wait for several busses before having enough space to accommodate them.
I like to remind people that the 99 in Vancouver moves like 50k plus per day, a lot more than Finch. So yes.

Back