News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 391     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

Remember the Gas Plant Scandal? Multiply that by 5+x
There's no reason why this would be an as big scandal, let alone "multiplied by 5". Electricity costs was an ongoing overblown issue, people were already ready to get fully upset.

On the other hand, the public is not nearly as engaged regarding LRTs and the cancellation can easily be sold as cost cutting to 905 or rural Ontario in a "you won't have to pay for Toronto projects" kind of way... Heck, even most of Toronto itself doesn't care that much about Finch West.

^But Wynne's not around anymore. I kid. Or do I? @raptor's right. FDS is too real around these parts.

The doom and gloom on this thread is depressing. Can we hold off speculation until we hear something official?

With today’s announcement of a $15B deficit, that’s telegraphing that the PC’s will cut, cut, cut and cut some more. We should be very nervous about what’s to come.

How can we allow the government to manipulate their financial status just for their political convenience?! Are the books not being audited annually?

How can we allow the government to manipulate their financial status just for their political convenience?! Are the books not being audited annually?

They are audited by the Auditor General who is indepdent of the government, but she has been politicized. Now outside auditors are routinely brought in and we must always be skeptical if their bias and they are also routinely politicized.

It’s pretty clear that by announcing a larger than expected deficit, and accepting the Auditor General’s numbers, the DoFo is setting the stage for deep cuts ahead.

They are audited by the Auditor General who is indepdent of the government, but she has been politicized. Now outside auditors are routinely brought in and we must always be skeptical if their bias and they are also routinely politicized.

It’s pretty clear that by announcing a larger than expected deficit, and accepting the Auditor General’s numbers, the DoFo is setting the stage for deep cuts ahead.
This is something I don't get. Publicly traded companies are required to have their books audited by accounting firms and publish their financial statements every year, so are the municipal governments. How come the provincial government is off the hook?!

This is something I don't get. Publicly traded companies are required to have their books audited by accounting firms and publish their financial statements every year, so are the municipal governments. How come the provincial government is off the hook?!
It seems the Liberals lied that the deficit was $6B.
The Liberals showed the books to the Auditor General and the Financial Accountability Officer, and they both got the deficit at about $11.8B.
The PC's now showed the entire books to the AG, and she confirms the deficit at $15B.

The thing is, the public knew the Liberals had a terrible record on debt, yet continued to vote for them. I think this difference with the AG had existed for a few years, but the media and public just ignored it. That's the problem with democracy - it assumes some degree of engagement and intelligence from the electorate - and that has been absent for a long time.

What was your “Hurontario meeting”? What does that even mean?
I site on a committee for it to make sure there are no issues before construction starts and informing the locals and business of the coming of the line.

Get various update on other Lines at high level, since we have no say in them in the first place.

I site on a committee for it to make sure there are no issues before construction starts and informing the locals and business of the coming of the line.

Get various update on other Lines at high level, since we have no say in them in the first place.

Thank you for your answer.

Back