News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Finch West Line 6 LRT

I site on a committee for it to make sure there are no issues before construction starts and informing the locals and business of the coming of the line.

Get various update on other Lines at high level, since we have no say in them in the first place.

Who is "we"?

Ouch, was that supposed to be a diss?
Not at all. Merely an observation. Another observation is that when the libs actually funded this round of GO expansion, the con snowflakes on this forum were all "won't somebody please think of the gas-plants?!! Lock that witch up!" But now that Doug Ford is (virtue) signalling his upcoming cuts, it's all "Give that man a safe space! He's doing the best he can!"

Who is "we"?
Metrolinx, Metrolinx Project Manager for the line, Mississauga & Brampton City staff, Region of Peel and the list goes on.

Is the 3rd one in question, Hamilton?
Yes and Metrolinx thinks it will fly regardless what taking place in Hamilton and the amount of money invested so far. Then one one had to look at the Eglinton mess under Mike and the amount already spent on that tine when it got cancel.

Metrolinx, Metrolinx Project Manager for the line, Mississauga & Brampton City staff, Region of Peel and the list goes on.

Oh. You said "Get various update on other Lines at high level, since we have no say in them in the first place." Not sure why Metrolinx wouldn't have a say in their own project.

Two words : Gas Plants.

There is a binding contract with a consortium, and it doubtless has penalties. Time is ticking onwards, meaning the contractor is continuing to mobilise, and costs are being incurred. If someone intended to cancel this contract, it should have happened sooner rather than later.

The only scenario I can see for cancelling is if the new 25 City Councillors form a consensus and ask for the money to be redirected. Let the City take the heat for the penalties. Unilateral cancellation by the PCs won’t buy them many votes.

- Paul

It seems the Liberals lied that the deficit was $6B.
The Liberals showed the books to the Auditor General and the Financial Accountability Officer, and they both got the deficit at about $11.8B.
The PC's now showed the entire books to the AG, and she confirms the deficit at $15B.
No one lied about the deficit until the recent PC claims. The 6B disagreement on accounting methods has been public knowledge for 2 years. Not only were the PC and NDP fully aware of the disagreement, they sided with the Liberals, using the same methodology as the Liberals.

The PCs now flip-flopping on this, and pretending that it was some kind of secret, only demonstrates how foolish they are!

I'm not sure why anyone things that Finch West is safe. Doug Ford is an incompetent, barely literate, oaf, who has already shown that he is willing to flush vast sums of taxpayer money down the toilet.s

Notable for this thread, but the latest polls show that Mammo may very well lose his council spot come October.

Which means there won't be anyone in public office around to suggest cancelling the Finch LRT.

My bet is that Thug allows this one to slide through.

I've never understood the logic of the Finch LRT.

I certainly understand the need for improved transit along the corridor but why exactly LRT? What would the LRT have over a BRT? Same stations, same platforms, same ROW, same speed with hybrid buses, same or increased frequency with single or double articulated, but the only thing that wouldn't be the same would be the cost and that difference is huge. The amount saved would be well over $500 million and the line would be far less disruptive to build. BRT is also more reliable as an accident along any of the LRT route or a power outage brings the entire system to a screeching halt whereas bus can just negotiate around any incidents.

The money saved could easily extend the system further south to a potential Woodbine RER station and build the station so people getting downtown or to the airport would get there much faster. The savings would also be enough to probably extend the system further east to Finch station on the Yonge line as well.

Yes, LRT is more comfortable but the money saved would make the line far more effective and get Woodbine a RER station which is very important because people from Woodbine area going to downtown/subways will find this LRT small improvement in speed than what they have now. This LRT is improved transit but by no definition is it rapid.

I've never understood the logic of the Finch LRT.

I certainly understand the need for improved transit along the corridor but why exactly LRT? What would the LRT have over a BRT? Same stations, same platforms, same ROW, same speed with hybrid buses, same or increased frequency with single or double articulated, but the only thing that wouldn't be the same would be the cost and that difference is huge. The amount saved would be well over $500 million and the line would be far less disruptive to build. BRT is also more reliable as an accident along any of the LRT route or a power outage brings the entire system to a screeching halt whereas bus can just negotiate around any incidents.

The money saved could easily extend the system further south to a potential Woodbine RER station and build the station so people getting downtown or to the airport would get there much faster. The savings would also be enough to probably extend the system further east to Finch station on the Yonge line as well.

Yes, LRT is more comfortable but the money saved would make the line far more effective and get Woodbine a RER station which is very important because people from Woodbine area going to downtown/subways will find this LRT small improvement in speed than what they have now. This LRT is improved transit but by no definition is it rapid.

Finch LRT was on nobody's radar till David Miller made it a "priority" then all of a sudden the Left's began tripping over themselves claiming how bad and uncomfortable riding the 36 bus in from Rexdale is, even though vast improvements have been made to the route since the Miller era (new artics, new subway station, splitting the service) to the point there doesn't really need to be higher order transit in the corridor. Blowing $1.2 billion in this corridor while in the same breath desiring to postpone Sheppard subway expansion till the 2050s at the earliest shows just how much their priorities are out to lunch.

Finch LRT was on nobody's radar till David Miller made it a "priority" then all of a sudden the Left's began tripping over themselves claiming how bad and uncomfortable riding the 36 bus in from Rexdale is, even though vast improvements have been made to the route since the Miller era (new artics, new subway station, splitting the service) to the point there doesn't really need to be higher order transit in the corridor. Blowing $1.2 billion in this corridor while in the same breath desiring to postpone Sheppard subway expansion till the 2050s at the earliest shows just how much their priorities are out to lunch.
Honest question for you: Are you even a frequent user of public transit? And by frequent user I mean:

1) Commute on a regular basis more than once a day
2) Traveling for distances of at least 3km one way with public transit and
3) Commute during both peak and off-peak hours

Honest question for you: Are you even a frequent user of public transit? And by frequent user I mean:

1) Commute on a regular basis more than once a day
2) Traveling for distances of at least 3km one way with public transit and
3) Commute during both peak and off-peak hours

I use transit 5-7 days a week, at least twice daily.

The better question to ask: is the Finch LRT project above criticism? Why was Viva-style BRT never even considered, which could have cost as low as $200 million and have been operational years ago. 2800 pphpd by 2031 falls far below the TTC/Metrolinx's own standards and threshold for LRT. Why are we pushing for this monstrosity then complain about Scarborough subways funding and no DRL? C'mon!

Back