News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.7K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 665     0 

Feather Factory Lofts (Roncesvalles/Dundas, Plazacorp)

I did an extensive photo/bike tour of the area around FFL's the other day. I can confirm there is NO parking available for 60 cars, heck, even 10 cars. Unless you can bribe a local homeowner to rent a spot in their back alley garage, that is.

Shall I post photos here or in a separate "Feather Factory Lofts and environs" photo thread?"

what I really want to know, is how has one person (i.e. Sharky) singlehandedly ruin a complete development. Because of him, the building will most likely sit vacant and rid the community of 40+ more tax payers.

The residents could have rallied together to fight the city on approvals. Now the developer will have to do it on their own (which they should have done anyways) except that now, this jack-wad will be getting in the way, and the units will most likely cost much more if and when they go back on the market.

I really have no idea what's going to happen to this project. It's a big shame.

The long and short of the letter from FFL:

"Thank you for purchasing a loft from Feather Factory Lofts Inc. Many purchasers have been asking for
clarification about the zoning of the building and permitted uses of their lofts. In response we have drafted
this letter with the help of the City and we hope this is helpful to you.

The Property is zoned MCR. The City allows a wide range of commercial and residential uses for this
zoning. However, the building is currently classified as a commercial building which means that you must
currently use your loft exclusively for commercial purposes as described in The Disclosure Statement that
has been provided to you. It contains certain provisions regarding the permitted uses of your loft (see
Paragraphs 4.3, 6.1 and 21.1 of the Disclosure Statement). Paragraph 5.1 (a) of the Condominium’s
registered Declaration (which was also provided to you with the Condominium Documents) also makes
reference to this.

Should you want to use your loft for residential purposes, you must apply and obtain a building permit,
from the City of Toronto, for the proposed change of use prior to commencing such residential use. Your
application would involve payment of application fees, the obtaining of planning approval(s), an
application for a building permit for a change of use and the payment of a number of levies and charges,
including but not limited to Development Charges, Educational Development Charges and Park Levies.

Also, the City currently does not issue street permit parking for commercial buildings or lofts. These
permits are reserved for residential users."

I wonder if this letter was sent to all buyers or just the ones that enquired about the zoning...

Brahmos - are you saying you would rather have remained ignorant to these issues and dealt with them as the arose?

Urbandreamer: i would like to see the pictures in this thread.

what I really want to know, is how has one person (i.e. Sharky) singlehandedly ruin a complete development. Because of him, the building will most likely sit vacant and rid the community of 40+ more tax payers.

The residents could have rallied together to fight the city on approvals. Now the developer will have to do it on their own (which they should have done anyways) except that now, this jack-wad will be getting in the way, and the units will most likely cost much more if and when they go back on the market.

Yes, this is obviously all Sharky's fault, not the innocent, doe-eyed, soft as a baby's bum developers.

its funny that FFL is sending out this clarification letter now pointing out 'minor' details such as 'you can't use it for residential purposes' ... clearly the units wouldn't have sold the way they did if they came straight out with it up front with this info ... sleazy developer ethics here at FFL

ooo sorry I mean to say "...the innocent, doe-eyed, soft as a baby's bum developers" :rolleyes:

No, When Sharky first came on the forum he seemed like a rampage lunatic raving about garbage chutes. I think the developers should take full blame. TorontoLOFTS should take some as well, albite, they were only doing their job (even though they were misleading).

It's a shame that real estate business is conducted in this manner. But it's my understanding that authentic conversions are done this way (like the Tannery) unless the developer goes through the motions themselves, in which case, they would also add a couple floors, party room, gym, etc to cover the extra costs.

Actually Sharkey has no parking problem for his cars. He has an ENORMOUS front parking pad (legal????) in front of his house on Ritchie. I think he just hates people. He sounds like it.

How is it his fault that the developer didn't go through proper channels to get this converted to residential space? Fire regulations for residential buildings are different than for office buildings. I'm all for converting unused commercial space, but they have to play by the rules to do so!

Actually Sharkey has no parking problem for his cars. He has an ENORMOUS front parking pad (legal????) in front of his house. I think he just hates people. He sounds like it.

Maybe though he does have a problem if the pad isn't kosher and doesn't have a dropped curb along it's length, allowing people to park there and block in.

Regardless of his motive, i'm not sure it's appropriate to give his address on here.

And as others have mentioned, he's just highlighting the issues, he didn't commit the crime.

I don't think the developer will let their investment go to waste. I think it's far more likely they will suspend sales, regroup - do things right next time, and then re-market with all the proper permissions, zoning, assessments and regulations met.
Remember these are all in place to protect the consumer/resident and even if Sharkey's motives were something else entirely - he has raised awareness and potentially saved people a lot of grief and money. If he is looking for this building to stand vacant, I very much doubt he will get his way to be honest.

The building from today showing the sales signs removed

2882982747_edab224697_o.jpg

The cars from this project, if given permits, must park here

2883820190_e94891c8c8_o.jpg

Why do people need cars? The loft lifestyle is aimed at artists and organic green foodies types, correct?

So, why not say, in the sales literature, that "loft comes with bicycle and TTC monthly pass"?

That is how they SHOULD have sold this project, especially with the high concentration of transit lines. Along with adding a proper bike storage area, one that is protected from the elements and thieves.

That is how they SHOULD have sold this project, especially with the high concentration of transit lines. Along with adding a proper bike storage area, one that is protected from the elements and thieves.

Why would they take down the sales signs? The website says that the sales centre is open this weekend.

Parking and transportation is just a small part of what they SHOULD have considered with this project.

And i think its quite a generalization to say lofts are for artists and environmentalists. They are also for yuppies and we all know how much they like to drive. :)

Back