News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 312     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 685     1 

Fate of the SRT

What do you believe should be done about the SRT?

• Total voters
Subway from Kennedy to Markham & Sheppard by STC.

LRT 100% on Eglinton from Kingston Rd to the airport with a branch to Sq One & Pickering Town Centre.

GO Stations at Lawrence and Elleismere for local all day service using TTC fare.

Building an LRT line the Scarborough RT corridor is a waste. I'd rather see it saved for future commuter/regional rail service and in the meantime the Bloor-Danforth subway should be extended instead.

Building an LRT line the Scarborough RT corridor is a waste. I'd rather see it saved for future commuter/regional rail service and in the meantime the Bloor-Danforth subway should be extended instead.

You know that there is commuter rail in that corridor right now, right?

Oh really???? OMG, wow, I never knew that. You shock me with your knowledge. What an idiot I am.

Well come on... You're saying save it for future commuter rail when commuter rail and the SRT have coexisted for years. You don't need to take anything out to put more rail in there.

I actually agree with you. As I said, I'd rather replace the SRT with subway. But if subway isn't an option, I'll take LRT. Why LRT? Because it'll probably be crowded from day one, and the TTC willl have wasted all that money on building it as LRT, and will realize how frakking stupid they were for wanting LRT on every single corridor that should have subway.

^CC,

When you're arguing with a streetcar evangelist, you cannot win with a capacity argument. Steve Munro has told me on his website that the King and Queen cars are below capacity, for example.

^CC,

When you're arguing with a streetcar evangelist, you cannot win with a capacity argument. Steve Munro has told me on his website that the King and Queen cars are below capacity, for example.

The same sorts of people like to mention how virtually unlimited the potential capacity of streetcar lines are...even though these theoretical limits are never, ever reached in practice.

Replacing the SRT with LRT may be an expensive mistake to make, but maybe we need to make that kind of mistake for the TTC to wake up and smell the coffee. But then again, if they didn't smell the coffee after the SRT was built, maybe they never will.

I hate to let the facts get in the way of a good argument, but why does anyone think LRT along the SRT corridor would be crowded?

Metrolinx 2031 numbers for the SRT corridor show peak point ridership at 6400 per hour, that is less than half the capacity of a grade separated LRT line, leaving plenty of room for unanticipated growth.

The only reason why the SRT is crowded today is because of a lack of vehicles,(not because it does not use everyones favorite transit vehicle, the subway). Both ICTS and LRT technology are more than capable of handling present and future demand.

I know the next pro subway argument is the dreaded transfer at Kennedy. Well in case no one has been paying attention, that entire facility is going to be redesigned regardless of what happens to the SRT.

With a subway extension most riders would still have to transfer at STC. Replacing the SRT with a LRT network means riders would transfer at Kennedy, either way their is still a transfer. And the LRT scenario would allow riders on the SRT corridor to have a continuos ride to the eglinton LRT line.

I am not some kind of LRT worshiper, I just happen to use facts and logic when forming my opinions. In this case I believe the subway option is not the best one, since it would cost about half a billion more and is not needed, that's money that could be put to good use elsewhere

I hate to let the facts get in the way of a good argument, but why does anyone think LRT along the SRT corridor would be crowded?

Metrolinx 2031 numbers for the SRT corridor show peak point ridership at 6400 per hour, that is less than half the capacity of a grade separated LRT line, leaving plenty of room for unanticipated growth.

The only reason why the SRT is crowded today is because of a lack of vehicles,(not because it does not use everyones favorite transit vehicle, the subway). Both ICTS and LRT technology are more than capable of handling present and future demand.

I know the next pro subway argument is the dreaded transfer at Kennedy. Well in case no one has been paying attention, that entire facility is going to be redesigned regardless of what happens to the SRT.

With a subway extension most riders would still have to transfer at STC. Replacing the SRT with a LRT network means riders would transfer at Kennedy, either way their is still a transfer. And the LRT scenario would allow riders on the SRT corridor to have a continuos ride to the eglinton LRT line.

I am not some kind of LRT worshiper, I just happen to use facts and logic when forming my opinions. In this case I believe the subway option is not the best one, since it would cost about half a billion more and is not needed, that's money that could be put to good use elsewhere

STC is a more logical place to end a subway. How does it make sense to end the subway at Kennedy? The Sheppard Subway was always planned to link NYC and STC. Until it does that, it'll never live up to its potential. Similarly, the corridor between Kennedy and STC will suffer until the city puts its money where its mouth is in regard to public transit and just builds the damn thing. First the TTC got screwed by the province with the SRT. Now the TTC is screwing itself with LRT in inappropriate places. The ONLY true option for serving STC is with subway from Sheppard and Danforth Lines. Period.

And there you have it: God's revealed truth. Silly to try to inject facts into the argument.

You mean facts like the meaningless 2031 ridership figures that Metrolinx simulated somehow and didn't even bother to provide any technical context for? Even if everything was done scientifically and presented properly, it would still only serve as a rough guide, not holy writ.

You mean facts like the meaningless 2031 ridership figures that Metrolinx simulated somehow and didn't even bother to provide any technical context for? Even if everything was done scientifically and presented properly, it would still only serve as a rough guide, not holy writ.

Perhaps a careful review of the modelling data backgrounder will reveal the technical context of the data, its sources and its capabilities. It's far from meaningless, and while the model cannot predict everything, it reflects a much more recent study of conditions.

Back