371     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 3.2K     0 

Fantasy Renderings

some townhomes I have been working on:

art6_.jpg

art6_2.jpg

art6_3.jpg

Quite elegant - almost austere. I like the window sizes and the minimalism. I also like the step-up entrances. Nicely done.

I spent 10 minutes walking around and staring at the 625 Yonge Street site yesterday and realized that once again, NimbyTect's solution is ideal. Pitched roof preserves views & sunlight, dormers play off the ones across Yonge Street nicely while providing a fantastic modern interpretion and strong design language. Tower & details still a WIP.

nimbytect625yung16dec20.png

Not quite as detailed as innsertnamehere's renderings--I'm still just concerned with playing with realistic massing studies, particularly on Yonge Street--which is where a huge amount of growth will occur over the next 15 years.

Today, I whipped up YOW!!! - A Yonge & Wellesley proposal. Red brick warehouse-style podium above double height CRU, setbacks from both Yonge & alley way sides via a pitched roof and higher up, terraces. 15 Wellesley will be going behind this site--twin towers on a parking podium on the current Green P lot. So what if a proposal popped up for the ugly 4s office building in front of 15 Wellesley, ie the LCBO site? Well here's a look at what I'd do:

nimbytect16december2012.png

Tower is not resolved here. Focusing on street level as that's what matters most imo.

YOW!!! YO(nge&)W(ellesley) Yep it's gonna hurt the nimbies. YOW!!!

YOW!!! is fine but you know what I'm thinking--you may have been too;)--it looks kinda lonely all by itself. So duh! Get a sexy nimby...err...a neighbour!!! to make out with. Is this the future of downtown Yonge Street--thoughtful infill retaining the historic facades where possible?

nimbytect18dec2012yowow.png

I've roughed in the twin towers on a parking podium coming to 15 Wellesley Street East/Green P site c.2013/2014....

If you follow me on twitter --thank you!--you'll know I've been talking about an upcoming Parkdale condo. According to my sources, Sorbara is launching a condo at that empty parking lot at Queen and Triller. Here, NimbyTect presents HipstaCRAM: A humble massing proposal for this site. Eight storeys--7s of condos above quality double height CRU--sloping back from Queen and the rear alley way alleviating nimby shadowing concerns. Not that there are that many nimbies here--after walking around the 'hood I've realized majority of homes closest to Queen are rentals and of course that eyesore rental apartment building just northeast of the site. Let's keep it simple--glass, brick, wood and perhaps metal screens with a central elevator shaft/hallway/entrance on Triller.

20121219171218.jpg

20121219172006.jpg

20121219172756.jpg

A closer look: HipstaCRAM -- cramming in more Parkdale hipsters per square foot ... guaranteed!
20121219174542.jpg

Last edited:
21 December 2012: The world ends today, right? Or at least this version of HipstaCRAM. I revised the rear elevation slightly to increase setbacks and terraces. I'm thinking 2 level penthouse lofts on the top 4 floors, at least at the alley side of the building. So the building would have around 42-50 units total.

A peek at the rear/north face of the building. Brick, wood, Fashion House-style ww/glazing. Parking stackers via 2-3 entrances, the 4th for bicycles off a widened rear alley. Don't you think a bicycle repair centre would be the ideal amenity space for a Parkdale hipster condo?

20121221130024.jpg

20121221130121.jpg

Last edited:
22 December 2012: Staying in Parkdale, I turn my attention to that other ugly parking lot/plaza one block east, at Queen and Callender. "The Woods of Canada" is a simple black brick and wood loft building in the vein of East Lofts--3s podium with 5s setback above. French balconies to keep the look clean and minimal, with rear terraces stepping down to podium level to minimize nimby concerns.

20121222221135.jpg

20121222220007.jpg

20121223022212.jpg

20121223022451.jpg

Last edited:
A final look at NimbyTect's "Woods of Canada" massing proposal for Queen Street West and Callender, Toronto:

20121224192744.jpg

20121224194508.jpg

An overhead view of my holiday card concept, which is the green p lot at Dundas & Ossington, rumoured to be another Abacus Lofts-style development.
20121225011321.jpg

My proposal: 6s on the Dundas facade & 5s on the alley side on a 3s podium including CRU & parking stackers at the rear. The concept breaks the mass into two with an inner courtyard mimicking the SFH setup to the east--ie larger mass (the house) facing the main street, the garden (3s podium+inner courtyard) and the garage (5s.) Rather than condos I see these as upscale urban townhomes & lofthouses stacked on a 3s podium containing CRU at base and 2s of lofts. A 3s "rowhouse" of townhomes face Dundas and a 2s row face the alley. Here I've got a shared elevator/stairwell enclosed in glass on the western edge facing the alley between Ossington buildings and the project. Perhaps a 3s concrete podium and elevator core with either wood or steel frame townhome structures above. More to come.

Last edited:
MOCCA Condos, eh? Mocca (new name coming) the art gallery is apparently moving to the Junction. Good news if you ask me, because West Queen West is finished as an artsy zone for the next few decades at any rate (barring some radical change in the demographics/rental prices.) 944-958 Queen Street West is going to be a 9s Urbancorp condo, likely by house favourite TACT.

Well I'm going to be tactless here :p and post my vision for the site. NimbyTect's "RIP ... WQW" proposes a 4s Queen Street West facade mimicking the historic retail to the immediate east and west of the site. That means narrow storefronts--or at least the option to maintain that feature--wood window frames and brick--here in trendy black.

20130102213321.jpg

20130103052541.jpg

Excited to see the rest of this obit? It's coming...!

Last edited:
I've been working on a conceptual plan for the Imperial Oil Lands in Mississauga, at Lake Shore and Mississauga Road.

View from the Northwest:
f9EDG.jpg

View from the LRT platform west at Lake Shore/Mississauga:
yFz9Z.jpg

View from lake going east:
nj0S2.jpg

Back