98     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 

Fantasy Renderings

a house I made: interiors to come!

house1.jpg

the render turned out quite crappy as the window frames were going red for some reason, so I just did an in sketchup photo as well.

house1-1.png

I'm working on a condo design that would be on the corner of Richmond St. E and Victoria St. but I have no idea how to upload it to Google Earth in a 3D setting like everyone else has been doing. :( I don't think Google Earth can even run on my computer even though I've downloaded the plug-in... It still won't run.

Does anyone know how I can at least take a snapshot of the design (like the photo above) and just post it here? I'm new to SketchUp.

Last edited:
You need both google sketchup and earth installed. When you first open sketchup go here first:

20121031232526.jpg

When you click on "add location" google maps will pop up and you enter the address of your project. Hit select then grab and it'll appear on your screen. Draw your project on the map. Then when you're heading to earth go to

20121031232243.jpg

And save a copy of whatever angle you like. I then go to paint where I add titles etc. There's a ton of excellent youtube tutorials on how to draw buildings in sketchup.

Some of you say I'm just a "fanboy" but hey, NimbyTect is about opening your eyes to other design solutions than just more of the same old lame old towers popping up around town. Yes I am working on developing more detailed models, but for now I'm just playing with simple shapes (Box Dev Corp is my humourous biz name which means I'm only working with boxes :p) recreating Yonge Street in my image. Another look at my first attempt at 460 Yonge:

nimbytect460yo29oct2012.png

Regarding my ST JacobsQuared proposal, many of you probably thought I'd gone mad. Colour mad, shape mad, dreaming mad? Recall:

nimbytectstjacobsquared.png

Insane? Or just a creative way to disguise a midrise?

Could those be cantilevered overhangs or not? Well they could be supported by structural steel "pencils" ala OCADU-style or as structural steel Mtl-style staircases. Or, maybe, they could be like this award-winning under construction condo building I found on Pinterest this morning by AQSQ Architecture:

http://www.architizer.com/en_us/projects/view/connecting-riads/39619/?sr=1#.UJH3d2f4JP9

Insane minds think alike? :D

Last edited:
NimbyTect rethinks Humbertown Centre. This time inspired by the '50s/'60s apartment buildings nearby. The old folks will like the scale, materials (recalls the "woodies" they drove in the 70s-80s, brick, etc) and modernist aesthetic they grew up with. Coming in phases one to four or five. First phase I'm working on tops out at 6s. Double height CRU on bottom floor. One building broken down into four facades.

nimbytecthumbrsquare1no.png

Buildup, in the Aura thread, wonders what College Park & Aura could've been. Hey I wonder too! So I pretended it was 2005, and I had 10 seconds to make a G+C presentation to the boss.

nimbytect1nov2012horras.png

(The black cladding with the--unintentional--swirls looks pretty cool, eh?)

Buildup or destroy it and start over, what do you nimbies think?

Last edited:
An idea for the parking lot at Armoury and Chestnut. Drew some inspiration from the recent Foster rumours. Idea here is that the tower would twist to it's thinnest towards NPS, reducing any "ruined" sightlines. Towards the west and east, such as Riverdale, the tower would have a little more oomph. It's tough to see how it'd look in today's context without Aura and the Yonge proposals there, but I think with those included it wouldn't stand out quite so sorely. Height is 310m.

8145734877_3cc0e5b987_z.jpg

8145765766_43e6d2f46a_z.jpg

From NPS
8145735111_607659bd39_z.jpg

From CN Tower
8145735209_da8e2b7fa5_z.jpg

From the West
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8468/8145765256_9b3c4fd992_z.jpg

Thanks for the help, urbandreamer. I've figured out the issue with Google Earth and it's working now, but I'm still unable to upload the design to it. Do you need a Google account or something? In any case, I'm still working on a few perliminary designs, all of which are pathetic compared to what I've seen on this thread. I need to step my game up!

Edit: Nevermind, I got it going!

Last edited:
It could be your system isn't powerful enough? Do you have less than 1GB memory? I need a new desktop as well--my laptop struggles with google earth as well.:(

I have a google act but I don't use it to upload, so that's not the issue.

I need to step up my game too--tons more things to play with in sketchup.

How do you rotate squares on SketchUp? When I add a location, the picture is always on an angle and not in line with the Axes. The only way I can put a "square" in the lot is if I draw with the pencil icon and it's not a true square. It kinda throws the design off. Anyone know what I'm trying to say?

Sorry, but yes, I am a noob.

do you not have angle locks? when you move your mouse around while drawing a line it should lock into a purple line, which can be at a 90 degree angle to what you just drew. thats how I do it. you can change the axis if you want to though too. go to view>toolbars>large tool set, then you should see a little icon on the new toolbar that looks like the axis lines. using that button allows you to change the axis.

I also suggest the "google" and "views" toolbars as well.

15 Wellesley Street East is currently a Green P parking lot, but it's getting two Quadrangle-designed condo towers sometime in the future--depending on market conditions I suppose.

The Nimbies don't like the heights of the 501 Yonge proposal around the corner, but maybe it's time to embrace the height and focus on quality architecture, contextualism, streetscape details etc?

I've started work on a 15 Wellesley St E vision:

nimbytect1nov2012getwel.png

do you not have angle locks? when you move your mouse around while drawing a line it should lock into a purple line, which can be at a 90 degree angle to what you just drew. thats how I do it. you can change the axis if you want to though too. go to view>toolbars>large tool set, then you should see a little icon on the new toolbar that looks like the axis lines. using that button allows you to change the axis.

I also suggest the "google" and "views" toolbars as well.

Thanks, man, I figured it out. It's lining up real nice now.

Gave a more realistic texture to the facade! Liking this more... Also I've decided to call it Armoury Tower.

8146663574_de9b00c38c_z.jpg

8146628639_74f36bf25c_z.jpg

8146663402_9092d8c9a9_z.jpg

Last edited:

Back