News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

Fantasy Renderings

Rhino 3D is fantastic for producing cool modern SFH. eg: Bild Architecture's http://www10.aeccafe.com/blogs/arch...fornia-Dreaming_03_Unit-A-Front-Courtyard.jpg

During doors open I attended a lecture at DSAI and they stated all the young architects are using Rhino/Grasshopper almost exclusively and that AutoCAD, Revit etc are being consigned to the scrap heap...interesting times.

Remember the NimbyTect Neighbourhood? My fantasy for more intensification in the Queen and Spadina area--so far I've sketched out about 30 proposals in the area. Now here comes the NimbyTect Neighbourhood 2.0: coming to the Junction of my dreams....:)

1) The Junction Flatiron

2) Pacific & Dundas - NE corner
6HjGph0.png

(Initial quick sketch--revisions, better setbacks, details later ... maybe;))

Last edited:
Welcome to the NimbyTect Neighbourhood 2.0: my fantasy vision for the Dundas Street West corridor from about Weston Road to Runnymede Rd.

1) The Junction Flatiron at St Johns Rd & Dundas -6 storeys:
YPi4h9D.png

ZNWIEWw.png

2) Pacific & Dundas - North East corner - asking for a nimby prayer meeting to reduce the tears to 8 storeys:
X897cHI.png

3) The Pacific - North West corner at Dundas - revisions to RAW Design's modest apartment building proposal - 7 storeys:
Nt47htz.png

ofxqNNP.png

Dundas and Pacific today:
U2NTRSu.png

Pretty sad looking, eh?

Thus it's time to start dreaming ... NimbyTect's design charrette for the intersection (to be continued ...)
mINPd3v.png

lEGD8fT.png

Anyone care to guess where building 4 is going?

Last edited:
I'll stop interrupting, but to address the above, AutoCAD is not going anywhere, and REVIT is just getting bigger and bigger (many firms still haven't even fully tapped into REVIT's many applications), whether people like it or not. Either you misinterpreted what the speaker from DSAI told you, or they were speaking their own distorted version of the truth.

Perhaps; however, the fact DSAI is using Rhino 3D + Grasshopper is good news: more organic modeling and less "boxes" in the pipeline? (Not that I'm against "boxes"--99% of the world lives in boxes duh.)

Re: The NimbyTect Neighbourhood 2.0:

I've identified 100 sites between Weston Rd and Jane Street, Dundas to the CNR tracks that need intensification. All without destroying heritage buildings! The majority sites will be midrises averaging 100 units per building. The question for the Junction nimbies: could the Junction grow by 10,000-15,000 residents over the next 30 years?

(Think of it this way--my neighbourhood is High Park Village and houses over 10,000 residents in a much smaller footprint. True it may have more green space but my vision also calls for increased parks around the Junction. And yes it may be on the subway line. However by 2040 doesn't it make sense to rebuild the Junction streetcar route?)

Some of you Shark Tank fans may have heard of the Wall Doctor, but I consider myself the "streetwall doctor." :) Holes in streetwall bug me even more than paying $3 for a single organic cookie at a trendy farmer's market....

Which is why building 4 in the NimbyTect Neighbourhood 2.0 is so vital--this "hole" must be filled in ASAP!
sr1vngm.png

Maybe with the Junction Market Lofts?
y7Cs8KD.png

A modest 6 storey loft building on Dundas Street West near Pacific:
AbYLtzP.png

5yhSM3I.png

Junction nimbies: it's time to grow up or else your million dollar SUV-filled driveways may be overun by 905 sprawl....
Qmi56qh.png

Delete
FRClKpM.png

Insert NimbyTect Neighbourhood 2.0 building 5: Junction Flats
s8SVzIW.png

Inspired by "historic" buildings found throughout the Junction--walkup apartments and commercial buildings--yet with no cheesy precast details you see on crappy fauxhistoric buildings around town:
u1sB9bp.png

Six storeys, twenty units above 2 CRU.
jaK1981.png

Decoration is good--if it's understated bling ...

3QcsQgA.png

It doesn't have to be clad in brick
dZnceym.png

5,4,3,2,1 yes NimbyTect is waiting to be knocked off!

Last edited:
The Streetwall Doctor found another hole to fill:
jwRWP6M.png

Plugged in with NimbyTect's 39 Camden Street infill concept:
LALn1fQ.png

A3urvCs.png

Not a drop of grey blood in sight! 'tis time for some more brown, nimbies!
LpAM83p.png

fwWpQP9.png

L6MBjzP.png

Gotta keep it simple and quick--not getting paid as much as the Wall Doctor...yet.;)

Well when you dial the wrong number you get a big headache that's for sure. I've had a big one lately...

Here's another quick concept for NimbyTect Neigbhourhood 1.0: Building #30 I believe. I'm calling it King Brant I and it's going on the NW corner of King & Brant:
gmHtwoO.png

It's a conservative proposal that moves away from the current Toronto obsession with window wall and grey spandrel.
YuLq0lH.png

Brick and precast perhaps?
ls5OPCE.png

RmsCg8d.png

More to come if I find the time/enery/passion.

That massive perimeter wall looks to withstand a zombie apocalypse.
I thought that was seriously a design for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back