News   Mar 28, 2024
 146     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Fairview Mall

I was wondering what they were going to dump there.

Personally speaking though, Fairview needs a huge overhaul but I guess it's going to be one wing at a time.

Rainbow didn't really do much, they splashed on some paint and that was about it. When i went there, it was eerily similar to the late 80's when i used to go to the Odeon there.

I was wondering what they were going to dump there.

Personally speaking though, Fairview needs a huge overhaul but I guess it's going to be one wing at a time.

Rainbow didn't really do much, they splashed on some paint and that was about it. When i went there, it was eerily similar to the late 80's when i used to go to the Odeon there.

True, but they were pretty good late-era Odeon theatres.
When they were built, the two big theatres (#1 and #6) were THX-certified.

Fairview is in the midst of a huge overhaul. I don't know the last time you were there but even in the last six months the difference is pretty remarkable - particularly the new food court. It's obvious the mall is trying to go upscale, more towards Yorkdale.

It will be interesting to see how/where the Silver City fits in...

Well, any renovations can be interpreted as an upscalar effort, but unless the stores change, it won't *be* more upscale.

Well, any renovations can be interpreted as an upscalar effort, but unless the stores change, it won't *be* more upscale.

They booted out a large number of stores already (including my beloved Furama - purveyor of dirt cheap, greasy Chinese food). They're also replacing that dingy LCBO with a big, new one, ditto for the Shoppers Drug Mart.

Time will tell - and I doubt they will eclipse Yorkdale - but I think it's already more upscale than it was a year ago (for better or worse).

True, but they were pretty good late-era Odeon theatres.
When they were built, the two big theatres (#1 and #6) were THX-certified.

Fairview is in the midst of a huge overhaul. I don't know the last time you were there but even in the last six months the difference is pretty remarkable - particularly the new food court. It's obvious the mall is trying to go upscale, more towards Yorkdale.

It will be interesting to see how/where the Silver City fits in...

I didn't go to Fairview for a period spanning from 2004 to mid 2007. I went back in mid 2007 because I now drop by there to get to Seneca every Tuesday night for classes. It's faster driving West on Shepperd then North on Don Mills rather than West on Finch. I drop by to eat before hitting classes.

I won't say it looks much more upscale though. the food court is nicer but other than that, everything is only slightly bit brighter/newer.

Contrast that to Yorkdale which I had not gone to for surprisingly, the exact period of time and it looks so much nicer.

Replacing small, obsolete stores with larger, modern versions of the same thing is *not* an upscale move. If it was, power centres would be the most upscale shopping sites in the city.

They booted out a large number of stores already (including my beloved Furama - purveyor of dirt cheap, greasy Chinese food).

Sucks to hear that. The lunch combo was responsible for me gaining about 30 pounds over 1 year. haha. I wonder if they planned on adding some better stores along that stretch towards the Bay and near the TD Bank.

Well, Fairview was always an Avis to Yorkdale's Hertz. At least, unlike Sherway (which is inclining in a similar upmarket direction), it's got a subway connection. And at least, unlike Scarborough Town Centre, it's not got that stigma of "the hood"...

Perhaps a trouble with Fairview's potential for upmarketing is that Bayview Village has basically preempted it...

Fairview has definitely improved over the last 5-10 years. The renovations also help a bit more. The tenants are the real reason for a mall to become "upscale", which Fairview doesn't have. They have got some better stores than what used to be there, but in order to achieve a higher status the renovations help to potentially attract them. The food court imo is now better than Yorkdale's.

But Fairview's simply not going upmarket. STC has gone downmarket...

I used to always choose STC over Fairview, but no more. For a combination of STC going downwards and Fairview going up. Fairview is also more convenient for me since I use the stubway from end-to-end everyday.

Perhaps a trouble with Fairview's potential for upmarketing is that Bayview Village has basically preempted it...
And did so a while ago...

2008_01_29bv_01.jpg

2008_01_29bv_02.jpg

Fairview has definitely improved over the last 5-10 years. The renovations also help a bit more. The tenants are the real reason for a mall to become "upscale", which Fairview doesn't have. They have got some better stores than what used to be there, but in order to achieve a higher status the renovations help to potentially attract them. The food court imo is now better than Yorkdale's.

I used to always choose STC over Fairview, but no more. For a combination of STC going downwards and Fairview going up. Fairview is also more convenient for me since I use the stubway from end-to-end everyday.

Fairview isn't going up! It's been renovated, that's all. If it seems like it's going upscale, most of the effect is relative to the distinct and visible downscaling of STC. Staying contemporary and competitive (which Fairview is doing) does not equate with going upmarket.

Fairview isn't going up! It's been renovated, that's all. If it seems like it's going upscale, most of the effect is relative to the distinct and visible downscaling of STC. Staying contemporary and competitive (which Fairview is doing) does not equate with going upmarket.

Darkstar - give credit where it's due. I'm presuming you got the ad from Torontoist...?
http://torontoist.com/2008/01/vintage_toronto_51.php

Anyway, clearly Fairview is not going to be Bayview Village, and probably not even Yorkdale. But I think if you look at the businesses not coming back, and the businesses now coming in, you can see what the owners are hoping to achieve.

Silver City vs. Rainbow Cinemas
Spring Rolls vs. Furama

Their website used to have a list of the stores that closed and were not coming back (I'd say there were 30 or more). It's not in the Internet Archive - alas - but, like Don Mills Centre, it seems clear to me that the move is not just a renovation but a specific targeting of a more upscale clientele.

By comparison, The Promenade is doing some renovation and has brought in some impressive new tenants but nothing as wide-ranging as what Fairview is doing.

It's be easier to make my point if they booted out Sears to make room for Holt Renfrew, but that hasn't happened yet :)

Back