News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 601     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 975     2 

Exhibition Place

I thought that the article said that Tanenbaum was going alone?
I didnt read the article you just posted (I should've taken a look, i was assuming it was a recent article from a couple weeks back taking about how Edward Rogers shut the bid down).

Well now this changes the game of things, it will be interesting to see how MLSE moves on this if Tannenbaum is successful since he would have to work with them to use Coca-Cola Coliseum.

And this could be interesting as we are in 2024 when high density and mixed use are all the rage! Stacked basketball courts with accommodations and amenity space above? Pickleball, anyone?

So many photo ops with the arch being lit every night now 😁

20240412_195117.jpg

FIFA likely want exclusivity to prevent issues. Two events at the same time could cause issues...
Just to update this situation, there should be no conflict with the IndyCar race if it's still happening in 2026. The last World Cup match at BMO Field will be on July 2nd, while the race could presumably happen as usual on a weekend later in the same month.
If anything, I think having some of the concrete barriers and fencing already set up around Exhibition Place for the race might actually help to establish a security perimeter around the soccer stadium, rather than get in the way.

So no need to waste time doodling potential track layouts for the Island Airport or Downsview.
Airport_tracks_800pxls.jpg

Edit: And I' sure those complaining about the traffic will be happy about the Lakeshore closure for the weekend.

Last edited:
Exhibition Place has a new tenant: Toronto's new WNBA team.

Their home area will be the Coca Cola Coliseum, with occasional games at Scotiabank Arena.

...just take the doors off each end and it can be an indoor/outdoor course!
- more about London's indoor/outdoor race track for electric cars that runs through and around a large exhibition hall
Having short oval racing on small indoor tracks has been done for a long time, including once at SkyDome.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Centre#Motorsports

Last edited:
They've been working on this area north of Centennial Park for a little while.

What we thought might be part of the Gardiner rehab or early works for streetcar extension is actually going to be a 20ft high mural (credit to @drum118 for the intel).

Z8P_2324.jpg
Z8P_2327.jpg

Last edited:
This is the safari most visitors have to face to get from the Exhibition streetcar loop (and future Ontario Line's Exhibition Station) to reach Ontario Place...
There should be a shady, tree-lined promenade, with flowers, shrubs, drinking fountains, and benches. Amusement ride entrances could still be placed between the trees.
The two north-south "primary axis" lines linking Ontario Place to the Exhibition GO/TTC transit stations could be useful if made to be more well-defined and permanent, as in still there and used during the CNE, Indy, and Caribbean Carnival. But that would require them to be at least temporarily separated with some kind of fences or barriers during those events. And to avoid splitting the event sites into three completely separate parts and IndyCars running into people, these would also require several pedestrian overpass/underpass areas, presumably where the 'promenades' would cross Princes' Blvd, Quebec St/Nova Scotia Ave, and likely Manitoba Dr.
Another pedestrian bridge going across Lake Shore Blvd would also be useful, at Strachan Ave, Newfoundland Rd, or both.
---------------

Edit: He (it?) was performing a daily show? I don't know how so many of us could have missed that.
Another edit: Apparently it was a big inflatable thing there in 2019, and started out in the water, then moved slightly inland.
2022 ...
26 - Godzilla (daily)
CNEMap.JPG

Last edited:
There is a planning solution for this increase in uses for the same space. What would they do in Tokyo/Copenhagen?!

Only Doug Ford would find a way to screw over 3 major venues/operations in one blow (Exhibition Place/The Ex, Ontario Science Centre, and Ontario Place). I wonder what the next chain link is going to be, maybe he'll find a way to involve the Queen's Park lands as well to justify his idiotic spa that nobody cares about or wants.

Why is it that we always get a Premier who decides to one up a previous Premier's stupid sell off? We thought the 407 selloff was bad with Mike Harris, then Kathleen Wynne comes and decides to one up him and sell off Hydro One, then Doug Ford comes in and decides to one up both of them.

Back