News   Apr 26, 2024
 175     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 369     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 532     0 

Exhibition Place

City's 40,000 affordable homes target across - we have to ensure we don't create poor ghettos - should allow for various income households.
Ontario Line by 2094 - how about never:
Why not build BRT Ontario Line for $50million vs Toronto's $11billion Ontario Line that will never be built Discussion
You got immediately pwned in your own Reddit thread. Best not to quit now? (Besides, this is not the thread to discuss transport modes, this thread is about Exhibition Place.)

Shifting Lake Shore and removing some of the Gardiner ramps is an absolute must in repairing that urban space, but I think it's more of an 'it ain't that broken' situation.

Since no one really lives there nor is the space frequented (as an effect of the urban desolation), city funds are prioritized elsewhere.

Considering the way these buildings are depicted (which is not the way architects like Le Corbusier would have depicted their utopias), more of a cautionary vision!
The artist does actually have Plan Voisin visualizations on his site. They're stunning!

Defiant, Ultra owners to build esports arena in Toronto

July 14, 2020

OverActive Media will build a 7,000- to 10,000-seat esports arena at Exhibition Place in Toronto, according to a memo sent to Canadian government officials by company CEO Chris Overholt and obtained by ESPN.

The new arena will be adjacent to BMO Field and Hotel X Toronto and will serve as home to the Toronto Defiant and Toronto Ultra, the Overwatch League and Call of Duty League franchises owned by OverActive Media. OverActive Media also owns MAD Lions, the Spanish esports franchise.

OverActive Media has hired former Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment vice president Bob Hunter to coordinate with government officials on the venue. Hunter has been involved in the development and expansion of several other Canadian sports venues, including B.C. Place Stadium, Rogers Centre, Scotiabank Arena and BMO Field. The new esports arena deal was negotiated between the Kimel family -- the majority owners of OverActive and a well-known Canadian real estate and hospitality industry family -- and Library Hotel Collection owner Henry Kallan, who owns Hotel X Toronto.

Defiant, Ultra owners to build esports arena in Toronto

July 14, 2020

OverActive Media will build a 7,000- to 10,000-seat esports arena at Exhibition Place in Toronto, according to a memo sent to Canadian government officials by company CEO Chris Overholt and obtained by ESPN.

The new arena will be adjacent to BMO Field and Hotel X Toronto and will serve as home to the Toronto Defiant and Toronto Ultra, the Overwatch League and Call of Duty League franchises owned by OverActive Media. OverActive Media also owns MAD Lions, the Spanish esports franchise.

OverActive Media has hired former Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment vice president Bob Hunter to coordinate with government officials on the venue. Hunter has been involved in the development and expansion of several other Canadian sports venues, including B.C. Place Stadium, Rogers Centre, Scotiabank Arena and BMO Field. The new esports arena deal was negotiated between the Kimel family -- the majority owners of OverActive and a well-known Canadian real estate and hospitality industry family -- and Library Hotel Collection owner Henry Kallan, who owns Hotel X Toronto.

This is bloody stupid. Who in their right mind would actually spend money to go here?

Remember this?

😆

On a more serious note - I thought OP might be a better thematic fit.

AoD

Last edited:
At this point I dont know what the city is even trying to accomplish with Exhibition Place anymore, nor do I think the city themselves knows either. Can we just sell it off to a city which actually knows how to properly plan things and allow them to collect operating revenues?

This city would probably idiotic enough to sell if the price was right anyways.

If the city allows this to go through, I would honestly be left speechless.

Remember this?

😆

On a more serious note - I thought OP might be a better thematic fit.

AoD

I do and this is what I thought when I read it.

Honestly they would be utterly stupid to build this thing. They are smoking something if they think this will be a big draw for people. I give it a month before they realise it is not going to make any money and sell it off for other uses.

Wait... so we're in the middle of a pandemic that has decimated the live entertainment industry.. in the midst of this pandemic a group of entrepreneurs propose to build an massive new live entertainment complex to venue an emerging cultural form (one which would be highly symbolic to Toronto's status as the fastest growing tech centre in North America) in a central, but underutilized area of the city surrounded by a sea of surface parking lots. And people are upset by this ? Upset before seeing even the barest of plans for the site?

Y'all are living in the 20th century.. Go watch Tron again!

Wait... so we're in the middle of a pandemic that has decimated the live entertainment industry.. in the midst of this pandemic a group of entrepreneurs propose to build an massive new live entertainment complex to venue an emerging cultural form (one which would be highly symbolic to Toronto's status as the fastest growing tech centre in North America) in a central, but underutilized area of the city surrounded by a sea of surface parking lots. And people are upset by this ? Upset before seeing even the barest of plans for the site?

Yes but the e-sports industry is not exactly high end.

I have no dog in this fight, but e-sports events do seem capable of drawing big crowds.

Most-watched-esports-events-2019.jpg

Blockchain-future-esports-blockchainLand-e1571328984494-1170x522.jpg

I don't know how big these crowds would be on a consistent basis, though.

I have no dog in this fight, but e-sports events do seem capable of drawing big crowds.

Most-watched-esports-events-2019.jpg

Blockchain-future-esports-blockchainLand-e1571328984494-1170x522.jpg

I don't know how big these crowds would be on a consistent basis, though.

It is like UFC. If you have a big ticket event they will come otherwise it sits empty.

Yes but the e-sports industry is not exactly high end.

It's a nascent industry, but already massive:

It'll take a bit of a hit this year from COVID like everything else, but expect sustained growth (driven in large part by the many of the same regions fuelling immigration to the GTA) and maturation.

Plus, Toronto's late to the game. Here's from ages ago: https://www.forbes.com/sites/dbloom...diums-are-popping-up-everywhere/#3d82d5532521

It is like UFC. If you have a big ticket event they will come otherwise it sits empty.

Isn't that how arenas work? People watch the games and go home? I can't say that I've ever stayed to watch the peanut shells get swept up at Rogers Centre.

Last edited:

Not really upset by this - I just want it to be a new build that add to Ex/OP, instead of yet another haphazard build that seem to take more away from the precinct than it gives.

AoD

Y'all are being silly.

I don't really understand jack about e-Sports but I do know there is a lot of money in it and that there is a dearth of suitable venues for e-sports competitions. Most of their venues are makeshift concert and theater spaces that are not well suited for e-sports. So much so that the few suitable venues (such as the Spodek Arena in Katowice, Poland) have become the host of the largest global e-sports competitions, regularly bringing in international tourists and huge $$$ for that city.

Building a dedicated arena in Toronto, near exhibition place, in our downtown core, has potential to make Toronto a regional capital of an emerging entertainment industry. This is jobs, hotel rooms, and indirect spending in local economy.

The main question we should be concerned with is implementation and how this should work along with the rest of Exhibition Place.

Back