News   Jun 17, 2024
 215     0 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Heya Davidackerman,

The very tall building in the distance above the man's head is the O'Keefe brewery on Gould.

The building about an inch to the right of his head is the Brown Derby, corner of Dundas and Yonge.

The multiple story building in the far far distance, just 'under' the 'spaghetti' sign is the Simpson-Sears warehouse.

The location of this picture is Dundas street between Bay and Yonge looking E towards Yonge

The chain link fence is roughly where the curtain wall of Ryerson's Ted Rogers School of Business is now.

Last edited:
That's awesome. thanks. My dad was a very serious amateur photographer and he shot a ton around the city. I have a bunch of films I will post too. I don't who the man is.

it always amazes me how shack-like much of the downtown housing was, even into the 1960's. there's still a bit of this stuff left, here and there, on streets like Huron. not as Dickensian as this, of course...

Screenshot2013-03-24at84306PM_zps33e376fd.png:original

Heya Davidackerman,

The very tall building in the distance above the man's head is the O'Keefe brewery on Gould.

The building about an inch to the right of his head is the Brown Derby, corner of Dundas and Yonge.

The multiple story building in the far far distance, just 'under' the 'spaghetti' sign is the Simpson-Sears warehouse.

The location of this picture is Dundas street between Bay and Yonge looking E towards Yonge

The chain link fence is roughly where the curtain wall of Ryerson's Ted Rogers School of Business is now.

It's the turret that's still throwing me off (doesn't match pics of the brewery)....

f2ace6fe-efa6-41e6-b77c-4bc1d67e7477.jpg

gould.jpg

Attachments

• gould.jpg
    gould.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
"The location of this picture is Dundas street between Bay and Yonge looking E towards Yonge "
QUOTE: Mustapha.

BELL TELEPHONE CO of CANADA
TORONTO, 1944:

WELLS AUTO BODY CO
36 Dundas Street W.
WA verley 1745.
Nights, Sundays & Holidays JU nction 8233.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
"The location of this picture is Dundas street between Bay and Yonge looking E towards Yonge "
QUOTE: Mustapha.

BELL TELEPHONE CO of CANADA
TORONTO, 1944:

WELLS AUTO BODY CO
36 Dundas Street W.
WA verley 1745.
Nights, Sundays & Holidays JU nction 8233.

Regards,
J T

I concede! By the 1940's, O'Keefe's turret had obviously been modified.

Since it's passover- Old film of seder Mccaul and Dundas - house is now part of AGO

[video=youtube;3Gaets0DUOw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gaets0DUOw[/video]

Back