News   Apr 19, 2024
 348     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 675     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 741     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Thanks for that aerial image, Northern Lights.
It brought back memories of my earliest movie-going experience.
aerial Danforth-Gough.jpg

Who knows that the building on the left (at Danforth & Gough Ave.) was also a cinema?
It opened in April 1913 as the New Onoka Theatre and later became the Iola, Ace and Regal.
I went there for the Sat. matinee when it was The Iola and had to pay 12 cents for 2 features, a newsreel, cartoon and the Captain Marvel serial.
After closing in the 1950s, the building became a savings bank, fruit/vegetable market, drug store, clothing shop, Canadian Tire outlet and more recently, a fitness centre.

Iola Cinema.jpg

^ I worked for Eaton's up until 1972. As I recall, the Annex had retail in the basement and perhaps ground floor and the rest was office space. Hayter Street was the downtown delivery depot (originally designed for horses). A lot of the space in the 'complex' was warehousing where staff would move product to Queen and College stores in ancient handcarts and freight elevators as well as space for things like tailoring, custom drapery - which took up a lot of floor space - and other ancillary customer services. Back then, Eaton's ran their own credit system and services like that, cash office, etc. were almost completely manual and took up a lot of floor space. I don't recall any actual manufacturing space.

Giant heating plant under construction (1928) for the huge ovens and boilers that will supply the Union Station; new Royal York hotel; and the Canadian National express building with heat and electric power. TPL
Giant heating plant under construction for the huge ovens and boilers that will supply the Uni...jpg

Toronto waterfront c.1974  x TPL.jpg

Back