News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9K     2 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

City of Toronto, paddle steamer, at wharf in Toronto or Niagara 1880 TPL

City of Toronto, paddle steamer, at wharf in Toronto or Niagara  1880  TPL.jpg

Panorama of Bay Street at waterfront, TPL
...undated and probably photographed from the roof of the Toronto Harbour Commission Building which was built in 1917.

Toronto Bay Street at waterfront.jpg

Panorama of Bay Street at waterfront, TPL
...undated and probably photographed from the roof of the Toronto Harbour Commission Building which was built in 1917.

View attachment 266195
Hi Goldie - great pic. I think it is probably not the Harbour Commission Building roof though - too far north and too early. I think between 1905-1913 - the Traders Building is up but not the CPR building just north of it. Is that Bluebell or Trillium at the ferry dock?

Margaret Eaton School of Literature and Expression, North St. (now Bay St.), W. side, S. of Bloor St. W. 1921 TPL
Margaret Eaton School of Literature and Expression, North St. (now Bay St.), W. side, S. of Bl...jpg

Miss this place for sure.

Its one of the buildings in the City I honestly think we should rebuild and protect.

Yes, there's a condo occupying part of the site now, but its relatively small.

Such rebuilds are hard to justify when one considers more acute needs around homelessness, poverty, climate change etc.

But I think they can be considered as part of culture spend and development of tourism.

Toronto was never and never will have been an 'old City'.

But it should preserve and should have preserved those landmarks of distinction it did have.

I would support rebuilding:

The University theatre
The Board of Trade Building at Yonge/Front
The University Avenue Armoury

Among others.

If they can be done and meet other social-good goals at the same time (affordable housing, or childcare etc.) so much the better.

Back