News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Rail car built in 1860 for the Prince of Wales.jpg

The City Dairy, 1910 TPL
City Dairy (postcard) 1910 TPL.jpg

The Dentonia Park Farm was located in East York, east of Dawes Rd., just N. of Danforth. In 1900, Dentonia Park farm became the home of the City Dairy Company, which produced the first pasteurised milk in Canada. The City Dairy eventually centralised production on Spadina Crescent, between Russell and Bancroft avenues. At the time, this was the most technically advanced milk production facility in North America. By 1910, it had expanded to include an ice cream factory, a stables and a carriage works for delivery wagon maintenance.

Spadina Crescent ........Now a U. of T. building.
Spadina Crescent, Toronto 2020.jpg

Last edited:
The sign on the 2nd floor of the building was my orthodontist. We lived nowhere near there and don't know how we ended up with a referral so far from home. Classmate or WWII colleague of our dentist? Few orthodontists back then? It was quite a pain (no pun) when I was too young to drive to appointments.

I wonder if many are aware of the tremendous amount of smoke and soot damage that was suffered by downtown buildings during the 20th century. This 1949 photo clearly shows the blackened Royal York Hotel (centre-foreground) only 20 years after its construction. Similar results appears on the Bank of Commerce tower (at right) and the Toronto Star building (centre).
It's odd that the damage is always on the lower levels of those buildings…much less at the very top. I expect that may be explained by stronger winds at higher altitudes which would spread the soot further north.
The damaging soot, smoke and fumes would have come from surrounding factory chimneys, autmobile exhausts and the many locomotives in the rail yards south of Union Station.
soot-stained buildings in Toronto 1949.jpg

Quite a different appearance during construction in 1928.
Royal York Hotel 1928.jpg

I wonder if many are aware of the tremendous amount of smoke and soot damage that was suffered by downtown buildings during the 20th century. This 1949 photo clearly shows the blackened Royal York Hotel (centre-foreground) only 20 years after its construction. Similar results appears on the Bank of Commerce tower (at right) and the Toronto Star building (centre).
It's odd that the damage is always on the lower levels of those buildings…much less at the very top. I expect that may be explained by stronger winds at higher altitudes which would spread the soot further north.
The damaging soot, smoke and fumes would have come from surrounding factory chimneys, autmobile exhausts and the many locomotives in the rail yards south of Union Station.
View attachment 256975

Quite a different appearance during construction in 1928.
View attachment 256976
Coal for heating too. I remember the Ontario Legislature getting cleaned.

Photography is an amazing "time machine." We can travel back and see beautiful people who surely led interesting lives…. but now, we're saddened to realize, they're all gone!

Roden Public School, Ashdale Ave. W side, N of Gerrard St. E. c.1900 TPL
Roden Public School, Ashdale Ave. W side, N of Gerrard St. E.   c.1900   TPL.jpg

The City Dairy, 1910 TPL
View attachment 253690

The Dentonia Park Farm was located in East York, east of Dawes Rd., just N. of Danforth. In 1900, Dentonia Park farm became the home of the City Dairy Company, which produced the first pasteurised milk in Canada. The City Dairy eventually centralised production on Spadina Crescent, between Russell and Bancroft avenues. At the time, this was the most technically advanced milk production facility in North America. By 1910, it had expanded to include an ice cream factory, a stables and a carriage works for delivery wagon maintenance.

Spadina Crescent ........Now a U. of T. building.
View attachment 253691
Wow I love this building, the red brick is so pronounced!

Staff residence, Sick Children's Hospital 1920 TPL
View attachment 257472

1920? The "Spanish" Flu of 1918 – 1920 hit children and young adults of the time. This "staff" building would be where the nurses and doctors stayed. Doesn't look big enough for what happened during those years.

Councillor Josh Matlow posted this photo to his Twitter the other day.

Its from 1935 and shows the site of the current Loblaws, just east of Bathurst.

1594911662534.png

Note that the site was a garbage dump.

Note the prescence of housing right up to the dump edge.

Also, that trickle of water? Castlefrank Brook! (poor thing, been abused for so long).

That Brook is what is buried under the Cedarvale and Nordheimer Ravines, and what once flowed through the now Ramsden Park and then the Rosedale Valley.

Back