News   Apr 19, 2024
 2K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 913     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

I love the feel of typical Toronto houses existing cheek-by-jowl against such monumental buildings as the old Armouries, Osgoode Hall and (Old) City Hall. The disparity in scale is reminiscent of traditional European cities and makes the monuments seem even more monumental.

The setting of Registry Office would have been different had the plans to have a 'grand boulevard' of Cambrai Ave from Union Station to St. Julien Place been realized.

http://books.google.com/books?id=6h...FS_WjA5TIzAS0i-z0DQ&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false
Figures 3-3, 10-4, 11-2

Attachments

• cambrai.jpg
    cambrai.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 747
I don't understand why our city planners felt the need to destroy so many landmark buildings. There was plenty of vacant land for new construction. Why was it necessary to demolish the armoury? There are plenty of forgettable structures from the 60s and 70s I wish we would demolish, however.

Why? Because in 1963, it was deemed old and obsolete and, I suppose, too ugly and unfashionable to be a landmark. Times and tastes change.

And as goes "forgettable structures from the 60s", I suppose the facility which took over the function--Moss Park Armoury--would be a top candidate...

The Armouries were also the setting of the annual Horse Show in pre-WWI Toronto and one of the highlights of the social season. The following pictures show the "red carpet" of fashion at the time, evocative of Edwardian Toronto in its splendour:

f1244_it0420.jpg

f1244_it0419.jpg

f1244_it0416.jpg

f1244_it0422.jpg

f1244_it1818.jpg

f1244_it1827.jpg

f1244_it1871.jpg

f1244_it1872.jpg

f1244_it0665.jpg

f1244_it1916.jpg

f1244_it0066a.jpg

A few years later, the fashionable crowd would be replaced by citizens mobilizing for war

f1244_it0766b.jpg

f1244_it0766a.jpg

Armouries

That's an amazing high-angle on the University Armoury,
I'd never before been aware of its massive size.
In the background one can see the Jewish Synagogue which faced University Ave. --- also soon to be demolished.

Attachments

• University Ave. Armoury featuring Synagogue.jpg
    University Ave. Armoury featuring Synagogue.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 756
The smell of manure with a hint of coal smoke would probably predominate. Perhaps an odd smell or two drifting up from the factories around and south of King, not to mention the gas works.

A further thought. It's interesting (to me) that we can see what Toronto looked like through photos and remaining buildings. There are clothes preserved from that era, so we can have an idea of what the people looked like. We can easily experience, or imagine, the relative cold or warmth of houses, offices, factories; the comfort or lack thereof provided by furniture. We can easily imagine the sense of scale provided when walking or horse was how you travelled around the city. But one thing we can never really gauge, is what Toronto smelt like. The combinations of odours long gone (coal smoke, for example) or very rare in the city these days (massive quantities of dung) are nearly impossible to recreate or imagine. How much more evocative would smelling old Toronto be?

I brought up the smell o' the city in a thread a while back but no one wanted to discuss it further. *pout*

The gist of my point was the smell of the citizens because, as far as I know, bathing everyday wasn't an option for some and laundering a suit or dress was something that didn't happen as often as one might think.

Note how they decided to not take down Osgoode Hall in this plan yet the Armoury and Registry were later swept away. A different era or lawyers have clout?

Well, *from* a different era. Osgoode was pre-Confederation, after all--it was already acknowledged as a "historic landmark"...

The following photograph I find quite moving, titled "Man and Woman in a Garden", taken in Toronto in 1859. The potential literary references are legion: Michael Redhill's Consolation; A.S. Byatt's Possession; John Fowles' French Lieutenant's Woman; even George Eliot, Dickens or Tennyson ("Come into the garden, Maud..."). And it's in Toronto (perhaps the Grange?)

manandwomaningarden1859.jpg

That is a really great photograph—I hadn’t seen it before. A very early one as well—probably no more than 15 years after the first shots of Toronto were taken. I don’t know what is officially considered the ‘first photograph taken of the city', but I’d be surprised if it is before 1845.

And you’re right about the way it conjures up grand historical fiction. Of course this is often deliberate, as early photographers frequently relied on literary and art references to give their work an aesthetic patina. Most people--and certainly most artists--didn’t believe that photography was an art form, more in the line of a mechanical novelty, so early photogs would often employ compositional and narrative devices borrowed from art and literature: still life, courtship scenes, tableau vivant etc, in order to make the image more ‘artful’.

rejlander_lg.jpg

The smell of manure with a hint of coal smoke would probably predominate. Perhaps an odd smell or two drifting up from the factories around and south of King, not to mention the gas works.

A further thought. It's interesting (to me) that we can see what Toronto looked like through photos and remaining buildings. There are clothes preserved from that era, so we can have an idea of what the people looked like. We can easily experience, or imagine, the relative cold or warmth of houses, offices, factories; the comfort or lack thereof provided by furniture. We can easily imagine the sense of scale provided when walking or horse was how you travelled around the city. But one thing we can never really gauge, is what Toronto smelt like. The combinations of odours long gone (coal smoke, for example) or very rare in the city these days (massive quantities of dung) are nearly impossible to recreate or imagine. How much more evocative would smelling old Toronto be?

You’re right—the sense of smell, like the sense of hearing, is difficult to retrospectively comprehend. Of course, if photographs had never been invented we wouldn’t really know what things used to look like either. While there have always been paintings of city scenes etc, they are for obvious reasons not very reliable guides.

In any case, you’re correct in pointing out that the world was a far different place at the olfactory level. I would say that it was quite a bit simpler than the present time, as their were no synthetic fragrances or smells. Every smell had a very specific origin—easily traced. You’ve rightly pointed out coal smoke and manure; some other common smells that come to mind would be beer, tobacco, sex, wood smoke, urine, sewage, dander, mulch, and cooking smells such as baking, cooking meat, or the smell of cabbage.

there would also be the general ambience of 'smells of nature' that charioteer has pointed out would predominate once one moved out of 'downtown'. these would obviously be far sweeter than the smell of swelling urban masses.

People themselves no doubt smelled different, a combination of diet and hygienic practices. Not everyone had running water, there were no commercial deodorants, toothpastes, or shampoo. Although there were perfumes and musks, I don’t know who wore them. (I don’t know if men wore fragrance).

The concept of ‘being clean’ didn’t really exist--cleanliness and health were not related in the public mind until the “Pasteurian revolution" of the late nineteenth century.

French scholar Alain Corbin wrote an amazing book some years back about the odours of nineteenth-century France called “The Foul and The Fragrantâ€, which takes up that very thing.

“According to Madame de Maintenon, who was in a good position to know, Louis XIV stank like a ‘carcass’, and in his day the staircases of Versailles smelt of urine because even th courtiers relieved themselves there.â€

my point is i don't find it to be a particularly "humorous observation", and i don't find smart assed remarks the slightest bit interesting.

In the future, if you wouldn't mind, I'll be sure to run my comments past Your Honour, for your approval.

I really, honestly don't care what you think. And please keep your hands off my text.

In the future, if you wouldn't mind, I'll be sure to run my comments past Your Honour, for your approval.

I really, honestly don't care what you think. And please keep your hands off my text.

i'm sure you don't care what i think. if you cared you'd actually try to respond seriously to the content of the thread.

and since you don't care, please refrain from posting juvenile remarks on my threads.

Back