565     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

York Pioneers on way to Exhibition to erect Scadding cabin 1879 TPL
York Pioneers on way to Exhibition to erect Scadding cabin 1879 TPL.jpg

Attachments

• York Pioneers on way to Exhibition to erect Scadding cabin 1879 TPL.jpg
    York Pioneers on way to Exhibition to erect Scadding cabin 1879 TPL.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 611
So I asked about a totem pole at Ontario Place a couple months ago and I have an update of sorts. I've found a couple new photos that happen to include the totem. I don't know the old Ontario Place set up very well, however. Does anyone know where the totem would be based upon these photos? I think it was on the southern tip of the East Island near where Ontario Place Blvd. meets the new William G. Davis trail. The building in the right centre of the first photo is the barracks that are now part of the Hotel X property, right?

f1526_fl0097_it0003.jpg

f1526_fl0097_it0001.jpg

So I asked about a totem pole at Ontario Place a couple months ago and I have an update of sorts. I've found a couple new photos that happen to include the totem. I don't know the old Ontario Place set up very well, however. Does anyone know where the totem would be based upon these photos? I think it was on the southern tip of the East Island near where Ontario Place Blvd. meets the new William G. Davis trail. The building in the right centre of the first photo is the barracks that are now part of the Hotel X property, right?

Yes, Stanley Barracks.
----good find, wolfewood!
Too bad we don't have a higher resolution photo of the totem pole:
totem.jpg

Attachments

• totem.jpg
    totem.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 623
Humber Bay Regatta - looking north west to Lakeshore Blvd. bridge ......1922 .....TPL
Humber Bay Regatta - looking north west to Lakeshore Blvd. bridge 1922 TPL.jpg

Attachments

• Humber Bay Regatta - looking north west to Lakeshore Blvd. bridge 1922 TPL.jpg
    Humber Bay Regatta - looking north west to Lakeshore Blvd. bridge 1922 TPL.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 589
I actually posted (and will repost) a really great photo of the totem being painted by I think the carver, Daniel Maltipi. It was really well-made and received among the batch - the B.C. government held a small contest to judge the best totem carved and Maltipi's won third place. I think it being placed in Ontario was part of his prize, as the first place totem received a prominent place in Victoria and the second place was sent to Ottawa.

Ironically half of the totems that no longer stand placed in that competition. Victoria's has been removed since 2014 due to deterioration and it appears this totem in Ontario Place was removed as well. New Brunswick removed its totem a couple years ago for repairs and facilitate building a new convention centre and it sounds like Newfoundland's may have outright fallen over at one point and is now in a warehouse at the airport. Otherwise the remaining totems are still standing - most are visible from Google Streetview, if with a little searching.

Ontario Place Totem.jpg

Attachments

• Ontario Place Totem.jpg
    Ontario Place Totem.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 653
Lighthouse - Queen's Wharf (now on Fleet St.) ...1926 ...TPL
.........Maple Leaf Stadium in background
Lighthouse - Queen's Wharf - now on Fleet St. 1926 TPL.jpg

Attachments

• Lighthouse - Queen's Wharf - now on Fleet St. 1926 TPL.jpg
    Lighthouse - Queen's Wharf - now on Fleet St. 1926 TPL.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 844
Lighthouse - Queen's Wharf (now on Fleet St.) ...1926 ...TPL
.........Maple Leaf Stadium in background
Yes! The focal depth of field is virtually infinite, detail is superb, tones beautifully rendered without being too dark or saturated, as is too often the case, taking away gradated gray. And almost a century ago....

I want to climb into that pic to look around and reminisce, long before my time, and yet it's so....'familiar'....

A Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress bomber just one of 12 World War II aircraft at Toronto Island Airport ....1991 TPL
A Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress bomber at Island Airport 1991 TPL.jpg

Attachments

• A Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress bomber at Island Airport 1991 TPL.jpg
    A Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress bomber at Island Airport 1991 TPL.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 898
Mavety St., E. side, S. of Dundas St. W. ....1956 ......TPL
Theatre - Mavety St. e. side s. of Dundas St. W. 1956 TPL.jpg

Attachments

• Theatre - Mavety St. e. side s. of Dundas St. W. 1956 TPL.jpg
    Theatre - Mavety St. e. side s. of Dundas St. W. 1956 TPL.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 547

Back