830     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

Prince of Wales at CNE 1919 TPL
Prince of Wales at CNE 1919 TPL.jpg

Attachments

• Prince of Wales at CNE 1919 TPL.jpg
    Prince of Wales at CNE 1919 TPL.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 693
The hydro lines are still there, but buried. For an expressway, they bury it, for an amusement park, they put them on towers.

At one time (1914) hydro transmission towers were in the lake at Sunnyside.
Sunnyside - bathing houses 1914 CTA.jpg

Attachments

• Sunnyside - bathing houses 1914 CTA.jpg
    Sunnyside - bathing houses 1914 CTA.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 597
At one time (1914) hydro transmission towers were in the lake at Sunnyside.
Echoes of Burlington Beach! And of course, the various rail and trolley lines that paralleled them.

I was just searching to find background on
The hydro lines are still there, but buried.
Had a better map, but this will do for the purpose of confirming Lis' point:

upload_2018-5-9_19-17-25.png

https://www.torontohydro.com/sites/...cuments/IRRP Narrative_August 25_HIGHRESr.pdf

That's a 115kV trunk xmssn ostensibly buried between Swansea and Strachan, still researching this.

But while researching, here's the pylons in the lake point writ large and current as per above:

Making Burlington beach strip hydro towers disappear a tall order
NEWS Jun 11, 2013 by Matthew Van Dongen The Hamilton Spectator

TOWERS___Gallery.jpg

Ridding Burlington's beach strip of skyline-dominating hydro towers would cost local taxpayers up to $36 million, according to early talks between utility and city officials.

And that estimate doesn't include the price tag of powering down Hamilton's side of the ship canal, either — a cost previously pegged at more than $70 million.

Burlington officials recently met with Hydro One for an "informal analysis" of the cost to move, bury or beautify the wall of 60-metre-tall transmission towers between downtown and the ship canal, said Councillor Rick Craven.

Options range from $8 million to swap out some "oil derrick-type" towers with less obtrusive poles, to $36 million to bury the 230,000-volt transmission lines, said Craven, calling those numbers "ballpark" figures.

"They repeatedly pointed out the city would be paying the costs, if this were ever to go ahead," said Craven, who expects council to request a formal Hydro One report. "Everyone wants to see them removed but the question is how, and how much."
[...]
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/...ch-strip-hydro-towers-disappear-a-tall-order/

The take-away from that, albeit these are 230kV towers (twice that of what Toronto's waterfront hosted) is that it's a good thing that Toronto did it when it could. It may also have been a prerequisite for the Island Airport modern certification.

On the City Dairy stable off of College Street: I was at the Archives Monday, had a false lead on something else I was researching, but have some leads that yet might produce 'dirt'...but did have time to research the City Dairy...nothing, save the suggestion that pics might well exist at the TPL.

I'm digging still!

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-9_19-17-25.png
    upload_2018-5-9_19-17-25.png
    428.6 KB · Views: 590
On the City Dairy stable off of College Street: I was at the Archives Monday, had a false lead on something else I was researching, but have some leads that yet might produce 'dirt'...but did have time to research the City Dairy...nothing, save the suggestion that pics might well exist at the TPL.

I'm digging still!

Here are two aerial photos of that "stables" block (College-Spadina) 1947 and 1953.
The 1953 photo is sharper than the other.
The City Dairy stables may be in one or both photos, eh?

College-Spadina 1947 aerial photo.jpg

College-Spadina 1953 aerial photo.jpg

Attachments

• College-Spadina 1947 aerial photo.jpg
    College-Spadina 1947 aerial photo.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 611
  • College-Spadina 1953 aerial photo.jpg
    College-Spadina 1953 aerial photo.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 580
Here are two aerial photos of that "stables" block (College-Spadina) 1947 and 1953.
The 1953 photo is sharper than the other.
The City Dairy stables may be in one or both photos, eh?

I found many print references, and maps showing it, another one besides what was posted here, but no pic of the angled entrance to actually post. I certainly hope to find one, and post it here. I have the pic in my mind, I must find hard-copy to prove it to myself.

And once found and posted, pints of milk all around bartender! (Hopefully whole milk, I suspect 1 and 2% butterfat milk is a modern creation, and a way to sell us the butter, and charge more for the cost of skimming it off in the first place.) Milked again...

Last edited:
Man carrying a keg of beer (on Albert St?) during prohibition....... 1916 .....LAC
An Eaton's factory building in the background
Man carrying a keg of beer -in The Ward-during prohibition. 1916 LAC.jpg

Attachments

• Man carrying a keg of beer -in The Ward-during prohibition. 1916 LAC.jpg
    Man carrying a keg of beer -in The Ward-during prohibition. 1916 LAC.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 559
awesome to see that - anyone recognize where the residential neighbourhoods shown are?

Always interesting to see the cars of the era - how even in 1920 lakeshore road was a busy vehicle thoroughfare and there were big, busy parking lots at the ex.

Back