News   Jul 05, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 539     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

The ship is the HMCS Haida. It was first docked at the foot of York Street after it was acquired by a private preservation group from the Navy in the 1960s. When the preservation group ran into financial difficulties, the province acquired the ship and moved it to Ontario Place. It was recently restored and moved to Hamilton.
I thought it was the Haida at first too, but the numbers on the side are different.

G63 was the Haida's number during WWII. It was changed to 215 in 1952, but then changed back to G63 by the preservation group.

Interesting, thanks!

Re: naval history at Toronto's waterfront
It's amazing to realize that more than 40 minesweepers were built and launched at the foot of Spadina during WWII.
This one is HMS Jaseur (1944).
The shipyard is now the site of The Music Garden at Harbourfront.

H.M.S. Jaseur launch, Toronto 1944.jpg

Attachments

• H.M.S. Jaseur launch, Toronto 1944.jpg
    H.M.S. Jaseur launch, Toronto 1944.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,361
Re: naval history at Toronto's waterfront
It's amazing to realize that more than 40 minesweepers were built and launched at the foot of Spadina during WWII.
This one is HMS Jaseur (1944).
The shipyard is now the site of The Music Garden at Harbourfront.

View attachment 52455
Minesweepers and Corvettes were built all over the place. If a location built ships before the war they built them for the war effort. Smaller locations built the minesweepers and corvettes. Collingwood was one location.

"If a location built ships before the war they built them for the war effort."
donoreo.

An example of which was Sachau Marine Construction, 1928 until the mid 1950's.
This property also included and became known as The Dutch Sisters Inn.

Ships built for WWII were known as "Fairmiles".

Regards,
J T

World War One munitions dump at Ashbridges Bay, Toronto:

TorontoWWIAshbridgeBayMunitions.jpg

Attachments

• TorontoWWIAshbridgeBayMunitions.jpg
    TorontoWWIAshbridgeBayMunitions.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 1,098
image.jpg
Lord Halifax watching female war workers at John Inglis Company, January 24, 1944. City of Toronto Archives

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,010
"Lord Halifax watching female war workers at John Inglis Company, January 24, 1944."
Thecharioteer.

The man to Lord Halifax's left is J E Hahn, DSO, OBE, MC, President of the John Inglis Company,
the man at the extreme left, within the picture, is reminiscent of he being Fred G (later known as Big Daddy) Gardiner.

Regards,
J T

JT: You never cease to astound me with your knowledge!

What can you tell us about General Kiang?

f1257_s1057_it2186.jpg

Chinese General P. Kiang and June Pattison, "Miss Inglis," posing with Bren gun outside plant at 100,000th Bren gun ceremony, John Inglis Co., Ltd.

August 20, 1943

Attachments

• f1257_s1057_it2186.jpg
    f1257_s1057_it2186.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,325
"What can you tell us about General P Kiang?"
Thecharioteer.

Of the General, not much, other than he was a member of The Chinese Delegation to view/inspect/pre Delivery the Inglis made Bren Automatic Rifle,

this and other pictures having been taken at the N/E corner of Building 20, aka The Colt Building.

The Colt Building, later to be known as 9 Hanna Avenue, was built for the manufacture of The Colt Automatic Rifle and

The Browning Hi-Power Pistol, 9mm Semi-auto. (Both test ranges within the western basement.)

Both The Bren Building (Building No 10) and The Colt Building (No 20) were of identical construction, they being slab-on-grade; steel construction;

un-insulated sheet steel curtain wall above a 4.5' brick base; oak flooring; tar and gravel roof with angular skylights. The square footage of Building No 10 is unknown

to me, however, as being the Building Operator of 9 Hanna during the nineties, with it's s/f of 500,000, No 10 was much smaller.

As (another) aside and as it is known, I am a collector of "Dead Wood", aka books. When Inglis was being demolished, I was accorded the privilege

by the contractor, to rummage for like parts/items that could be of use to it's "twin", 9 Hanna; little was found, after which we repaired to the Plant's

Maintenance Shop where an entire Mechanical Library (three tiers; twenty-five feet) presented itself! One hundred Dollars - tomorrow!

Come The Dawn, then The dawning; each and every mechanical suppy company's binder was ready for The Pick!

Each and every binder was EMPTY!

My only jewel was/is that of The Boiler Room Log Book for the plant's operation, January 1/83 - January 2/84.

Enough!

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Ah, 9 Hanna. Back in its studio-space 80s/90s twilight, I would have voted it as my favourite building in Toronto--I mean, next to that, 48 Abell was kid stuff...

Thanks for all the background, JT! Here's another pic from the same day, August 20, 1943, celebrating the manufacturing of the 100,000th Bren gun.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 1,319
"Ah, 9 Hanna. Back in its studio-space 80s/90s twilight, I would have voted it as my favourite building in Toronto--I mean, next to that, 48 Abell was kid stuff... "
adma.

DND, aka The Department of National Defence, eventually sold the building, Inglis being a lessee , to Addison Industries Limited, it's President being

William John Plaxton ADDISON, (Harry Addison of City Buick, then later of Addison Cadillac, being his younger of the three brothers.)

with the Addison Radio being one? of their products and their logo slowly re-emerged as the later owners repaint (The Loblaw Co) peeled off during the 90's.

I don't know exactly when The Weston Company (Wittington Investments - Loblaws) bought the property, but it was after the death of Mr Addison. (1958?)

The building was resold at some time during '69. Yes, the plant, cum warehouse, cum mixed industrial/artist's studios, was quite a handful, especially after Billy had departed;

the first replacement Engineer, (1st Class, Marine) never, ever, blew down not only the boiler's mains, but the colums as well; good Bye!! (The new engineer had to repipe

the colums and an acid wash on all three, got fed-up and left!)

The The Ministry arrived mid September and RED TAGGED ALL of THE BOILERS!

Yes, 48 Abell would have been Kid's Stuff; a walk-in-the-park.

Regards,
J T

Back