News   Mar 28, 2024
 184     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 300     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 668     0 

Eve (Mississauga, Amacon, 32s) COMPLETE

given its location being in Mississauga, I don't think there is a huge Oriental population market for this to attract from.... if this was in Scarborough/Markham that may be a different story

Mississauga doesn't approach Markham in that regard as the South Asian population is larger here but there seems to be significant numbers around city centre. There isn't much of a downside to it so I suppose they did it to hit a target market.

Mississauga isn't usually regarded as having tons of Asians from China, Japan, Korea, etc. But there is quite a lot in fact. We have the Chinese centre on Dundas. There's also a Chinese plaza on The Chase near Erin Mills and Eglinton. There's a Chinese plaza near Creditview & Burnhamthorpe. There's the T&T Supermarket. I wouldn't underestimate the Chinese market in Mississauga!

Edit: I'm avoiding using the term "Oriental" because Oxford told me to avoid using the term to describe people and only use it to describe rugs.

'Chinese' is in fact the preferred term for those coming from China, and you do not need to apologize for it. If you are looking for a term to replace 'Oriental' when referring to people from many countries in that area, use 'Asian'.

'Chinese' is in fact the preferred term for those coming from China, and you do not need to apologize for it. If you are looking for a term to replace 'Oriental' when referring to people from many countries in that area, use 'Asian'.

Except when one says "Asian" it can include people from anywhere in Asia (which is home to many different peoples) but saying 'Chinese' to refer to Japanese, Koreans and Vietnamese isn't an ideal solution. I suppose East Asian is the politically correct term nowadays? And South Asians are Indians? So what's Southeast Asian?

On the upside, the trend of being more specific is helping kids improve their geography skills.

Except when one says "Asian" it can include people from anywhere in Asia (which is home to many different peoples)...

Good point. People forget that a good part of Russia is in Asia as well. Europe is less a continent and more like a peninsula of Asia.

In my experience, the word "Asian" to used refer to people from East and Southeast Asia. Of course it is not truly correct, but this is not an essay so it should not be a big deal. Technically, you could say that Afghans are Asian as well, but that is not how the word is used in casual situations.

wow this is really turning into some Geography lesson haha ... MODs you may wanna put a stop to this before we get too carried away ~ ;)

LOL my point was we have lots of people from China/Hong Kong in Mississauga and if that's who Amacon is marketing toward, they should have no problem. When people think Chinatown, they think of downtown and then of Markham, but Mississauga is probably in third place.

Looks like Eve dropped some scaffolding or metal bars onto the parking lot of the small apartment building next door during the high winds the other day. One of the metal bars went right through a car's hood. Pretty scary, and lucky that no one was hurt!
------------

Scaffolding Pipes Fall On Parking Lot, Smashing Cars
Sunday November 16, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

While many GTA families made their way to the Santa Claus parade Sunday morning, others were waking up to find their cars destroyed.

High winds may be the reason scaffolding pipes from a Mississauga construction site fell onto a neighbouring parking lot overnight, smashing more than half a dozen cars and vans.

Residents were shaken up and expressed concern that it might happen again.

"I fear for my safety, especially after what happened today. It's very hazardous," remarked car owner Rodel Juliano.

Neighbour Ariel Fortuno agreed. "I'm glad my family was not there because I have a baby."

Inquiries made to the builder did not reveal any further information.

"We're looking, and as of now we have no idea. We can't comment until the investigation is done," noted site superintendant Claudio Boccia

The Ministry of Labour has been called in to look into the incident.

Source with video

Neighbour Ariel Fortuno agreed. "I'm glad my family was not there because I have a baby."

What does that mean? Why do people say things like that? I understand that babies are completely dependent, but still, had Ariel not had a baby would she have said "Too bad we weren't there to be impaled by falling scaffolding as I don't have a baby." No she wouldn't. Or wait a minute, maybe she would, because it's pretty equally stupid.

What does that mean? Why do people say things like that? I understand that babies are completely dependent, but still, had Ariel not had a baby would she have said "Too bad we weren't there to be impaled by falling scaffolding as I don't have a baby." No she wouldn't. Or wait a minute, maybe she would, because it's pretty equally stupid.

In general, people are idiots.

Back