News   Mar 28, 2024
 554     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 846     0 

Enwave Deep Lake Water Cooling

Andrew3D

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looked for a thread and couldn't find one on here and I needed to post a few pictures from today. This is one massive hole located at where Hayter Street meets LePlant Avenue (west of College Park).

1975679069_438e1ed9ea_b.jpg

1975655257_9ace862cab_b.jpg

1976490892_16a1bd465a_b.jpg

Wow, that is wild! I remember being on top of that parking garage when they were still digging the hole - looks like its got some concrete reinforcement now.

Are they boaring a tunnel to the lake or somethin'? It's big enough to lower TBM segments into.

ProjectEnd:

That stuff is really, really old - it was from the initial phase of the project that's already well in operation. The borehole at Hayden might be the northern extension for the Government of Ontario and MaRS buildings (though that has been announced for over 2 years - one would think construction for that would have been completed by now).

AoD

what will that hole be used for specifically? what's the volume? how deep?

A hole of that diameter has no practical use for conveying water - the tunnel that supplies most of New York City's drinking is "only" about 24 feet in diameter. This tunnel has either been dug for the purpose of lowering a huge piece of machinery underground, or for the purpose of storing of cold water.

Obviously this is a "Hell Mouth". I thought there might be one around the city ( a lot of evil been goin down of late) but this is the first photo I've seen. I've forwarded it to "The National Enquirer /Midnight Star" and I've put in a call to Buffy. She will save us!:D

ProjectEnd:

That stuff is really, really old - it was from the initial phase of the project that's already well in operation. The borehole at Hayden might be the northern extension for the Government of Ontario and MaRS buildings (though that has been announced for over 2 years - one would think construction for that would have been completed by now).

AoD

Thanks for the update...I had no idea that information was so dated.

I read somewhere that the practical northern limit of the deepwater cooling pipes was Wellesley Street (i.e., happily, just reaching Queen's Park). The capacity is limited by the water treatment plant on Toronto Island. If the city were to increase its capacity, Enwave could service a larger area. Now imagine if every major office building and condo from Bloor to the waterfront, Sherbourne to Spadina were hooked up, that would be *SOME* district cooling system!

If the city were to increase its capacity, Enwave could service a larger area. Now imagine if every major office building and condo from Bloor to the waterfront, Sherbourne to Spadina were hooked up, that would be *SOME* district cooling system!

I think that was a vision by an engineer back in the 60s or 70s (it was in an issue of Azure years ago). That said, given the success of Enwave (which has been signing up quite a few subscribers in the core for Deep Lake Cooling) and the increasing concern over climate change, I can see future expansions coming. Not to mention, the Portlands developments might also be included...

AoD

Obviously this is a "Hell Mouth". I thought there might be one around the city ( a lot of evil been goin down of late) but this is the first photo I've seen. I've forwarded it to "The National Enquirer /Midnight Star" and I've put in a call to Buffy. She will save us!:D

When I first saw the photo, it hit me like this was some new, more direct route to Vaughan.

The Hayter Street "Hell Mouth", if you will, is right outside my window and has been ruining my view and causing me to wake up at 6am for the past three years.

Today it looked like they were dropping a series of tubes into the pit. My only guess is that Toronto might finally be getting connected to this famous "internet" we've been hearing US Senator Ted Stevens talk about. And it's about time, too. I'm getting tired of dumping all my e-mails on a big truck and driving them to their destination. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ir_mKso_qc)

Does anyone have any idea when this project is supposed to be finished? Not the internet - the deep water cooling system.

Back