Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I watched as people were unable to squeeze on to a northbound train at St. Clair station today around 5:30pm or so. People are being left behind on the platform at rush hour for train after train at every station between King and Eglinton. It's scary to think what Transit City and the Yonge extension will do to crowding on this line. Something needs to be done!

I heard a rumour that the TTC is closing doors very quickly now...

I have seen it.

I can understand closing the doors before people have a chance to get on and off... but it should be predictable (i.e. at 10s ring the warning chime which runs 2-3s then close the door slowly). Some people make no effort to get close to the doors before arriving at the station. At some stations there is a constant flow of people arriving at the platform so waiting for everyone on the platform to board would mean waiting until rush hour is over.

I heard a rumour that the TTC is closing doors very quickly now...

I have seen it.

and that is a good thing. it'll start instilling on people at rush hour not to try to cram on an overloaded train.. and maybe for people not getting off in the next few stops to stand in the way of people trying to get off. it continues to annoy me that during overloaded situations, people at the doors don't step off and stand to the side to clear the doorway for alighting passengers. now that the streetcars have "please move back" and "please exit by rear doors" announcements, i think subway trains should have the same for "please do not block the doorways".

the majority of riders don't realize that by blocking doors and trying to stuff into a train causes more delays that leads to even more crowding. this is when 99% of the time, you can see the next train behind stopped at the previous signal waiting for the first train to clear the station.

299 you're right. There are a ton of delays caused by passengers doing stupidness. The problem is that the TTC doesn't do a very good job telling passengers that they are doing stupidness.

Remember the posters that went up last year?

Every point was a good point, but people still freaked out.

Heaven forbid you point blame in the right direction...

The Highway 7 extension tack-on to the York U extension to Steeles took everybody by surprise, though it convienently is located in the middle of the guy's riding.

The Yonge extension actually goes somewhere, and would make the most sense, if perhaps not for the overburdened Yonge line south of Finch.

To be completely fair, if the to-Vaughan portion wasn't proposed, Toronto would have abandoned the to-York U portion, then it wouldn't receive York Region/provincial/federal assistance, and *nothing* would get built other than the busway. Which wouldn't be the end of the world, of course, as there's higher priority places to spend on.

The Yonge extension would add more riders, true, but only a certain amount more...10%? 15%? Not the end of the world, either. The Spadina extension will actually take some riders off Yonge (Finch West, some Finch station park'n'riders, etc.). I'd rather build it and have our transit system be a victim of its own success than not build it and be a victim of disinvestment and neglect.

same stuff at dundas. i now go south to union and transfer there so i can just get in without having to wait for the 6th train to come in before i can be pushed in by the people behind me.

Occasionally I have to attend business meetings at the corner of Steeles and Keele. Traffic is incredibly bad at times. Offhand, I can't think of a more difficult place, not near the subway, in the City of Toronto to get to. There is value to that subway line ... and the Region of York wants to pay to extend it further north? All the power to them.

Absolutely nfitz, I couldn't agree more. It's an absolute nightmare to get up there, and it's a disgrace for one of the biggest university campuses on the continent. Scarberian's right on, too. If it weren't for York Region's advocacy, based on the Vaughan extension, none of it would be getting built. Since the extra 2km isn't costing the TTC so much as a dime (and they'll get the revenue from any increased ridership it brings), I can't see how they can lose.

Dentrobate, aside from the absurdity of trying to celebrate and bump up your own post (as ridiculous as applauding for yourself), suggesting that the DRL doesn't "go anywhere" when it directly serves all of the central Toronto's major development districts makes absolutely no sense. Do you not understand that most of the major growth in the core over the next 25 years will be taking place in the Liberty Village, Fort York, Cityplace, Railway Lands, East Bayfront, West Don Lands, and Portlands areas, all of which are directly served by the DRL?

Absolutely nfitz, I couldn't agree more. It's an absolute nightmare to get up there, and it's a disgrace for one of the biggest university campuses on the continent. Scarberian's right on, too. If it weren't for York Region's advocacy, based on the Vaughan extension, none of it would be getting built. Since the extra 2km isn't costing the TTC so much as a dime (and they'll get the revenue from any increased ridership it brings), I can't see how they can lose.

Dentrobate, aside from the absurdity of trying to celebrate and bump up your own post (as ridiculous as applauding for yourself), suggesting that the DRL doesn't "go anywhere" when it directly serves all of the central Toronto's major development districts makes absolutely no sense. Do you not understand that most of the major growth in the core over the next 25 years will be taking place in the Liberty Village, Fort York, Cityplace, Railway Lands, East Bayfront, West Don Lands, and Portlands areas, all of which are directly served by the DRL?

VCC for all its follies would probably shave a half-hour my commute (Brampton to subway via 77) so no complaints here. My beef with DRL is that with ever increasing cost projections it's realistic to presume only a handful of future subways will get built. A line stretching from Don Mills/Steeles through the central waterfront than up back to Woodbine/Pearson sounds ridiculously long (50+ kilometres) and expensive (subway closures, GO rail closures, expropiations, new tunnels, a complex reno at Union Stn/Pearson, etc.) Also how is forcing Regent Park residents, for instance, to take a bus up from the Queens Quay/Front any better than approaching south from the BD line?

Why shouldn't shorter lines and extensions be priortized higher and leave exuberantly long routes to LRT/BRT/S-Bahn/commuter rail? That's all I'm saying. The Lakeshore West LRT, new Queens Quay East streetcar and Kingston extension to Kennedy/Eglinton in effect create a continuous rapid network along the waterfront/southern edge of the city. I'm sure this will all cost less than the Vaughan extension will at 8 kms, comparative to around 43 kms of LRTs. More importantly those nodes you mentioned would see rapid transit alot sooner than holding out for another subway. The new waterfront communities are only for those who can afford living there and renegs the existing viability of King/Queen/Dundas/Gerrard to downtown's growth and sustenance.

If it we're made obvious to me how DRL (beyond a pick-up/drop-off transfer scenario at Dufferin-Union-Degrassi-Gerrard Sq) assists 'old' downtown residents/commercial districts/tourist attractions/instituitions I wouldn't feel the need to continually oppose it.

VCC for all its follies would probably shave a half-hour my commute (Brampton to subway via 77) so no complaints here. My beef with DRL is that with ever increasing cost projections it's realistic to presume only a handful of future subways will get built. A line stretching from Don Mills/Steeles through the central waterfront than up back to Woodbine/Pearson sounds ridiculously long (50+ kilometres) and expensive (subway closures, GO rail closures, expropiations, new tunnels, a complex reno at Union Stn/Pearson, etc.) Also how is forcing Regent Park residents, for instance, to take a bus up from the Queens Quay/Front any better than approaching south from the BD line?

It isn't, but how does an Eglinton line help people at York University? Not every line can serve every place. Moreover, they wouldn't be forced to do anything. All the existing transit routes would remain in place and would likely offer better service as some of their riders sift to the DRL.

I probably wouldn't ever build a DRL north of Bloor (an S-Bahn-style service would likely do the job just as well) and I would only build the downtown 'U' in the first phase. The section north of Danforth, however, is too good to pass up. It would intercept all the major bus routes from the east, providing them with a much faster route to the core and massively relieving the Yonge line which could then accommodate far more riders from northern extensions. It also passes through one of the city's most intensely developed corridors, with apartment clusters and office parks at almost every stop, and with a lot of room for growth. The DRL would be a catalyst for massive redevelopment in the downtown and waterfront areas, as well as in the Don Mills corridor. It would be a major contributor to restoring Downtown to being Toronto's pre-eminent employment neighbourhood.

The point is that these cost projections are crazy. Madrid, with comparable labour costs and levels of regulation, builds for less than half what it costs in Toronto. Montreal built its new subway for 50% less per kilometre, even with a river crossing. Vancouver is building the Canada Line for less than $2 billion cost to governments for over 18 kilometres of rapid transit, the majority underground. The TTC way overbuilds its routes, and it's obsessed with putting everything underground even when it's tunneling under vacant, government-owned land. The downtown 'U' of the DRL is over 50% on the surface in established corridors, many already government-owned (Toronto Terminals Railway, Front Street Extension ROW, GO's portion of the Galt Sub). It is one of the cheapest potential subways out there. There is absolutely no reason why it couldn't be built for well under $100 million per kilometre.

Why shouldn't shorter lines and extensions be priortized higher and leave exuberantly long routes to LRT/BRT/S-Bahn/commuter rail? That's all I'm saying. The Lakeshore West LRT, new Queens Quay East streetcar and Kingston extension to Kennedy/Eglinton in effect create a continuous rapid network along the waterfront/southern edge of the city. I'm sure this will all cost less than the Vaughan extension will at 8 kms, comparative to around 43 kms of LRTs. More importantly those nodes you mentioned would see rapid transit alot sooner than holding out for another subway. The new waterfront communities are only for those who can afford living there and renegs the existing viability of King/Queen/Dundas/Gerrard to downtown's growth and sustenance.

Like I said, I agree with you. You'd never build a DRL from Steeles/Woodbine to Union to Steeles in one go, and the western portion north of Bloor would be so far down on any priority list that it would likely never get built. An S Bahn-style service could do the job just as well. I'm afraid I don't understand your last sentence.

If it we're made obvious to me how DRL (beyond a pick-up/drop-off transfer scenario at Dufferin-Union-Degrassi-Gerrard Sq) assists 'old' downtown residents/commercial districts/tourist attractions/instituitions I wouldn't feel the need to continually oppose it.

I don't see why "old" residents, etc. are somehow more deserving of "assistance" than new development. Leaving that aside, the main benefit for people living in low-density residential neighbourhood right around the core would be relief for the surface routes that they use to get around. By definition, a stable low-density residential neighbourhood isn't the kind of place you'd pick for a subway. You want to put it through areas undergoing significant, high-density redevelopment. People in Parkdale/West Queen West and Riverdale/Leslieville could get downtown much quicker and would also benefit from surface route relief. The benefits for downtown businesses and institutions are far more obvious: capacity to bring tens of thousands more people an hour into the downtown core for employment and for leisure.

My beef with DRL is that with ever increasing cost projections it's realistic to presume only a handful of future subways will get built. A line stretching from Don Mills/Steeles through the central waterfront than up back to Woodbine/Pearson sounds ridiculously long (50+ kilometres) and expensive (subway closures, GO rail closures, expropiations, new tunnels, a complex reno at Union Stn/Pearson, etc.) .

Very few new tunnels. You could run a huge portion on the surface, including literally the entire Western half. As for Union, why the need for a complex reno? It's a train station, on a very wide existing corridor. Run the subway on that corridor, and into the train station, and build some stairs (and an elevator)! Sounds pretty easy to me.

The fact that the DRL appears to have died is, to put it mildly, insane. Here's the thing: the simplest solutions are almost always the best ones. Try explaining Transit City to your average Torontonian (so, uh, we're going to put some streetcars in new medians on a more-or-less random series of roads, totally ignore downtown, and then jam whatever new ridership is generated onto the existing subways). Then try explaining the DRL, especially one run on existing rail corridors that intersect every subway line, pass by about half of the important employment and residential nodes in the city and then run within a kilometre of the !*&%£&*£% airport!

Then, tell your friend that the DRL would cost about half what Transit City will.

The really insidious thing is that DRL wouldn't even need to use subway technology--nothing wrong with coupled LRVs.

A DRL combined with an Eglinton subway or underground LRT would utterly transform Toronto's rail network. Those two projects alone would take us from a skeleton to a network--all for less than Transit City is going to cost.

In other words, WHAT THE !^&%£%^!?!?!?

Exactly, allabootmatt!

You're absolutely right about being able to use coupled LRVs, and unfortunately the passion for that technology is so great right now that it's probably the only way it'd ever get built. I think we'd regret it in the long- (or even medium-) term, though, since the DRL, especially downtown, has the potential to attract ridershipway exceeding the capacity of LRT.

I do think one thing that's critical if you're going to build it is to have a station that's well integrated with the existing YUS line. The study examined a route that remained along the rail corridor through downtown, and considered it to be the worst of all the options (possibly even worse than Queen) as it provided no good interchange with other subway routes and it was quite distant from existing employment. There was a design for Union included in the report that had two extra platforms and tracks squeezed into the existing Union moat. I'd design it, if possible, to have cross-platform connections with the Yonge and University lines (westbound with University, eastbound with Yonge).

The people currently running the TTC have decided that all transit routes should run down the middle of streets and stop as frequently as possible. That, if no other reason, is why the DRL is not very likely to get built. There are obvious advantages to running right on a street in general, but they're much less prominent on the DRL's route.

The reason for the abandonment of the idea in the first place was two-fold. The Metro Plan and other plans indicated that growth was not to be encouraged in the downtown core, and so it explicitly says that no new transit infrastructure should be built downtown. That was obviously a problem with the DRL. They also decided that they could increase capacity (although by much less) for about the same cost if they looped the YUS up north through the Finch hydro corridor. It was a worse project by any measure, but it provided service (albeit rather useless service: how many people ride from Finch and Yonge to Sheppard and the Allen?) to the suburbs instead of downtown.

Back