Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

Hello everyone,

This thread is getting really interesting as we are all closer or have already occupied their unit. I have been following this thread for many years but never had the chance to participate. I have already had my PDI and will be getting my keys next week. I'm very excited as I have been waiting close to 5 years.... Anyway, I hope that some of my observations/questions below will be helpful.

1) I didn't realize that the 4th installment of the 5% was due upon "interim closing". I thought it was upon final closing. So make sure you have the money :)
2) When I called in to get insurance, they did not have the M2J 0A9 postal code in their system because Canada Post doesn't have it registered yet. How did everyone else get their Insurance Letter without the right postal code?
3) As per Natalie, the estimated final closing date is in June.
4) Some of you may have the promotional rebate of $15,000. I was told that this will be given back to you upon "Final Closing". It didn't say on the "Adjustment Statement" that I received, so I followed up with my lawyer.
5) Did everyone get their One Year TTC Passes yet? I don't think I read that anywhere on this thread, but I could be wrong.

Hello everyone,

This thread is getting really interesting as we are all closer or have already occupied their unit. I have been following this thread for many years but never had the chance to participate. I have already had my PDI and will be getting my keys next week. I'm very excited as I have been waiting close to 5 years.... Anyway, I hope that some of my observations/questions below will be helpful.

1) I didn't realize that the 4th installment of the 5% was due upon "interim closing". I thought it was upon final closing. So make sure you have the money :)
2) When I called in to get insurance, they did not have the M2J 0A9 postal code in their system because Canada Post doesn't have it registered yet. How did everyone else get their Insurance Letter without the right postal code?
3) As per Natalie, the estimated final closing date is in June.
4) Some of you may have the promotional rebate of $15,000. I was told that this will be given back to you upon "Final Closing". It didn't say on the "Adjustment Statement" that I received, so I followed up with my lawyer.
5) Did everyone get their One Year TTC Passes yet? I don't think I read that anywhere on this thread, but I could be wrong.

My insurance use M2J0A8 as the postal code, and I still need to call them back to follow up with the insurance. They said they need to add the postal code on their system.

I did not see the $15,000 credit on the adjustment as well and Natalie said I should be getting it on the final closing.

One year TTC will be given on the final closing.

Hi Animatrix,
When is your firm occupancy date? As far as you know is it still the same or has it been changed to a later date?
I'm on 35th and my firm occupancy is Feb 11 2014...

Hey BodyImage,

I just got my keys this past fri. It was scheduled on time but close because my lawyers had to get all the papers/documents on time and due to my fault I was not fully prepared for all the documents/info. Anyway I got everything over in time.

I think for you it should be ok as long you and your lawyer do your part on time.

What do you guys know about the pipes down in the garage? I noticed water is coming out on couple of the pipes and heard about the recent flooding in Dec. My parking spot has couple of pipes beside it...should I be worried?

What do you guys know about the pipes down in the garage? I noticed water is coming out on couple of the pipes and heard about the recent flooding in Dec. My parking spot has couple of pipes beside it...should I be worried?

I think your best bet would be to discuss it with the property managers in order to understand the purpose of those pipes and if water coming from them is a cause for concern. On another note, driving on the 401 today, it appeared as though the crane was coming down at tower 3. Its looking good!!!!

Water coming from anywhere other than the tap is generally a cause for concern. Take a picture and report it -- especially in the early days of a building there are a lot of issues, and they need to be documented. Once the building is registered and the performance audit process begins, any information you have documented will be very valuable in terms of addressing deficiencies and problems.

Wondering where are you guys going for your blinds? Looking for vertical types but more importantly not too expensive.

I have a friend who has used " Blinds to Go" in a couple of condos and he has been pleased with them thus far. I used them once a few years ago for verticles in a room and was pleased. They might be worth a try...

Does anyone know how the elevator reservation process works? I've had to book several slots since the delivery companies aren't very flexible and give you such a wide timeframe. Is property management strict with going over your limit? For example if I booked it from 11-2pm, and the delivery guy for my sofa arrives at 3pm, what happens?
Do you get a key so that you have complete access over the elevator? Thanks...

Does anyone know how the elevator reservation process works? I've had to book several slots since the delivery companies aren't very flexible and give you such a wide timeframe. Is property management strict with going over your limit? For example if I booked it from 11-2pm, and the delivery guy for my sofa arrives at 3pm, what happens?

I'm also curious about this.

Also, does anyone have an update about when the building may be registered? Last we heard it was sometime in the spring or early summer at the latest. Has anyone heard of better estimates?

Does anyone know what kind of studs were used in the framing of the walls in the units? (wood, aluminum?)

I want to know if I can mount a flat panel LCD TV onto the wall that divides the bedroom and the living room area, but I won't be able to do that if the walls aren't framed with wooden studs behind/ between the drywall. I didn't have a stud finder with me when I checked yesterday, all that I had with me was a powerful magnet which didn't seem to stick to anything except the drywall screws, so it seems that steel studs should be ruled out, but they could still be aluminum (non magnetic), which would be no good for mounting a TV or anything with any weight to it, really.

I was just hoping I could get direct word on this question from someone who already knows for sure before I check again with a stud finder and attempt to drill into the wall.

Also, I noticed some discussion about window coverings a few pages back, and that's another thing I'm worried about with the two windows being as tall as they are (bedroom window at ~10'10" tall x 51.75" wide and the living room window being ~10'10" tall x 7' 4.5" wide). Seems like the easiest thing would be to go with a curtain rod and curtains for each window, but the problem with doing that is that a curtain rod can only really be run under the ceiling height and the windows are almost 2 feet taller than the 9 ft ceilings which means that light would come in through the little window well/ empty space areas above the ceiling. It would be possible to hang a curtain rod right inside the window frame area (like you would with blinds), but I can't think of a way that that wouldn't look silly by having streaks of light come through the thin gaps on each side of the window due to the curtains not being able to overlap the wall/ window frame edges like they would be able to if hanging a curtain rod under the ceiling height/ outside of the window frame.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who to ask about the window coverings issue and/ or possibly where to look for examples of how this issue has already been successfully tackled by other unit owners?

Last edited:

Make sure you have the proper insurance. Document the issue and submit formal report to the property management and Natalie from Emerald.

Wondering where are you guys going for your blinds? Looking for vertical types but more importantly not too expensive.

How much Blinds to Go charge for a regular vertical blinds?

I finally installed vertical blinds due to the length of the windows. Regular curtains in stores don't have anything close to 100". They are all maximum 85". I checked home depot, home outfitters, walmart, canadian tire, and etc. It cost me under $600 (tax included) material and labour to install vertical blinds for all three big windows. Good deal? What you guys think?

Contact the property management directly. Jessica at the property management office handles elevator booking. They are pretty flexible. Just be straight forward with your situation. Are you ordering from the Brick? I know that the Brick can only confirm the date of delivery in advance, but not the time of the delivery. They confirm the time of the delivery on the morning of the delivery which is dumb, IMO.

I'm also curious about this.

Also, does anyone have an update about when the building may be registered? Last we heard it was sometime in the spring or early summer at the latest. Has anyone heard of better estimates?

I heard it will be sometime in June.

Back