Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

Does anyone know what kind of studs were used in the framing of the walls in the units? (wood, aluminum?)

I want to know if I can mount a flat panel LCD TV onto the wall that divides the bedroom and the living room area, but I won't be able to do that if the walls aren't framed with wooden studs behind/ between the drywall. I didn't have a stud finder with me when I checked yesterday, all that I had with me was a powerful magnet which didn't seem to stick to anything except the drywall screws, so it seems that steel studs should be ruled out, but they could still be aluminum (non magnetic), which would be no good for mounting a TV or anything with any weight to it, really.

I was just hoping I could get direct word on this question from someone who already knows for sure before I check again with a stud finder and attempt to drill into the wall.

Also, I noticed some discussion about window coverings a few pages back, and that's another thing I'm worried about with the two windows being as tall as they are (bedroom window at ~10'10" tall x 51.75" wide and the living room window being ~10'10" tall x 7' 4.5" wide). Seems like the easiest thing would be to go with a curtain rod and curtains for each window, but the problem with doing that is that a curtain rod can only really be run under the ceiling height and the windows are almost 2 feet taller than the 9 ft ceilings which means that light would come in through the little window well/ empty space areas above the ceiling. It would be possible to hang a curtain rod right inside the window frame area (like you would with blinds), but I can't think of a way that that wouldn't look silly by having streaks of light come through the thin gaps on each side of the window due to the curtains not being able to overlap the wall/ window frame edges like they would be able to if hanging a curtain rod under the ceiling height/ outside of the window frame.

Does anyone have any suggestions on who to ask about the window coverings issue and/ or possibly where to look for examples of how this issue has already been successfully tackled by other unit owners?

Hi Yoshi,
I attempted to install curtain, but you have to know that most curtain available out there are not that tall. Our windows are really tall. Mine is more than 100". It means you need to get custom made curtains which equal to $$$$.
I solved my issue by going with vertical blinds. Hope it helps.
Other suggestion is go to home depot and request for in home free estimate. Done.

Garbage and elevator

If any of you guys park in visitor parking, you should already noticed people always leave garbages and boxes in the area close to the door to the elevator lobby in the parking room (to be exact in front of "oil storage" room). Security already put a notice up to warn people to not leave garbage and boxes in the area, but people still do that. Why would people make their home ugly and smell like trash? I don't get this part. We already had flooding and elevator issue which is everyday, and now people leave trash whatever they want. Don't people think that all of this can bring the value of their home down? Next thing you know we will have pest problem due to trash everywhere.

In related note, is there anything we can do collectively with the elevator issue? Elevator breaks everyday and they are brand new. We need more information on why they break everyday. Something is wrong here.

Sorry about my rant, but it valids.

If any of you guys park in visitor parking, you should already noticed people always leave garbages and boxes in the area close to the door to the elevator lobby in the parking room (to be exact in front of "oil storage" room). Security already put a notice up to warn people to not leave garbage and boxes in the area, but people still do that. Why would people make their home ugly and smell like trash? I don't get this part. We already had flooding and elevator issue which is everyday, and now people leave trash whatever they want. Don't people think that all of this can bring the value of their home down? Next thing you know we will have pest problem due to trash everywhere.

In related note, is there anything we can do collectively with the elevator issue? Elevator breaks everyday and they are brand new. We need more information on why they break everyday. Something is wrong here.

Hi Newbuyer,

we stopped in to see the building this weekend, and wanted to take the elevator up from the lowest lobby to the upper lobby, so that we could see what the inside of the elevator looked like. We must have waited at least 5-10 minutes, and no elevator.

Now I read what you've said about the elevator being broken a lot... this is not good! What do you mean by broken? Are all of the out of service a lot, or just some? We're high up on the 31st floor, so you can imagine that broken elevators would not be good!

As for registration in June, I really hope it's earlier than that! It would mean a lot of phantom mortgage paid for those that moved in earlier. Plus, you can't do much to your unit until the title is in your name.

How much Blinds to Go charge for a regular vertical blinds?

I finally installed vertical blinds due to the length of the windows. Regular curtains in stores don't have anything close to 100". They are all maximum 85". I checked home depot, home outfitters, walmart, canadian tire, and etc. It cost me under $600 (tax included) material and labour to install vertical blinds for all three big windows. Good deal? What you guys think?

That sounds like a great deal...considering you have 3 large windows. I asked one of the asian folks from the business cards they left at the door just to get an idea and I received a similar quote but I only have 2 large windows plus a smaller bedroom...but it's still 9ft tall. Not sure about their quality.
Do you mind telling me where you went? You can PM me if you prefer.

Hi Yoshi,
I attempted to install curtain, but you have to know that most curtain available out there are not that tall. Our windows are really tall. Mine is more than 100". It means you need to get custom made curtains which equal to $$$$.
I solved my issue by going with vertical blinds. Hope it helps.
Other suggestion is go to home depot and request for in home free estimate. Done.

Thanks.

Yeah, by saying "easiest" would be going with curtains, I was more just referring to the hanging process after I'd already dealt with the big pain in the a** that comes with finding/ buying custom sized curtains. I know blinds that size will cost quite a bit, as well, of course, so I guess I was just hoping that there would be some cheaper alternative, but that may not be the case given the unconventional sizes of these windows.

I agreed with your comments trying to make more of a conscious effort to keep the place/area clean. Having said that, is there a place to dump large boxes? Is it somewhere behind the elevators?

I'm concerned about the elevators or more importantly the pace the construction is moving along. I haven't used the service elevators to officially move in yet but it would pisses me off if I did like some of you who may be already living there. I get the sense things are moving slow...how long have the elevators been broken? I just hope this is not a reflection of what's about to come long term with our condo management.

Hi Newbuyer,

we stopped in to see the building this weekend, and wanted to take the elevator up from the lowest lobby to the upper lobby, so that we could see what the inside of the elevator looked like. We must have waited at least 5-10 minutes, and no elevator.

Now I read what you've said about the elevator being broken a lot... this is not good! What do you mean by broken? Are all of the out of service a lot, or just some? We're high up on the 31st floor, so you can imagine that broken elevators would not be good!

As for registration in June, I really hope it's earlier than that! It would mean a lot of phantom mortgage paid for those that moved in earlier. Plus, you can't do much to your unit until the title is in your name.

About the elevator, two have been out of service right now and waiting for spare parts. During weekdays, only two elevators are working for contractors, trades, residents, and delivery. You do the math how busy they are during weekdays. Over this past weekend another one was out of service, and then people got stuck in it. There was a point where the other was also out of service. David the security guard acted very fast and called Thyssen elevator. I had to walked up and down with my 3 years old. My suggestion is you have to be prepared to walk down and up the stairs anytime. They said it will be getting better.
I still don't understand why 4 brand new elevators keep malfunctioning. Did they get used elevators (just like used cars) to save cost? Is there any such thing as used elevators LOL?

That sounds like a great deal...considering you have 3 large windows. I asked one of the asian folks from the business cards they left at the door just to get an idea and I received a similar quote but I only have 2 large windows plus a smaller bedroom...but it's still 9ft tall. Not sure about their quality.
Do you mind telling me where you went? You can PM me if you prefer.

Correction...the window in my bedroom is smaller than the ones in living room but it has the same height. I will try to find his info.

Hey guys -- the building I live in uses Thyssen Krupp -- we have had problems with our elevators since Day One (we're about 3 years old now). Even with a regular monthly maintenance contract there are issues. Our PM tells me it doesn't matter which company you use, elevators are a big problem right now -- so many buildings, too few companies (read: monopolies). And if you get on the board, get your PM to check really closely. Not all of our scheduled maintenance was being done (which likely explains the ongoing issues). Also, when your performance audit gets started, you're going to want the engineers to take a good look at the elevators. They really are a major concern in many new buildings.

About the elevator, two have been out of service right now and waiting for spare parts. During weekdays, only two elevators are working for contractors, trades, residents, and delivery. You do the math how busy they are during weekdays. Over this past weekend another one was out of service, and then people got stuck in it. There was a point where the other was also out of service. David the security guard acted very fast and called Thyssen elevator. I had to walked up and down with my 3 years old. My suggestion is you have to be prepared to walk down and up the stairs anytime. They said it will be getting better.
I still don't understand why 4 brand new elevators keep malfunctioning. Did they get used elevators (just like used cars) to save cost? Is there any such thing as used elevators LOL?

I seem to recall reading in an earlier post that during a recent flood ( pipe breaking ) water was coming out of the elevators as well. If this is in fact the case perhaps it has something to do with it. Water and sensitive electronics usually don't mix very well. Just speculation on my part.

I agreed with your comments trying to make more of a conscious effort to keep the place/area clean. Having said that, is there a place to dump large boxes? Is it somewhere behind the elevators?

I'm concerned about the elevators or more importantly the pace the construction is moving along. I haven't used the service elevators to officially move in yet but it would pisses me off if I did like some of you who may be already living there. I get the sense things are moving slow...how long have the elevators been broken? I just hope this is not a reflection of what's about to come long term with our condo management.

There is a place to dump large boxes and recycle items behind the service elevator. People can ask the concierge easily available 24/7 instead of dumping trash where ever they like.

The elevator issue is ongoing problem. There is always something happens almost everyday. I have been living there since last year. I will address this issue to the management and all of you should do the same. The more voice the better. Brand new elevators should not break this often. I feel sorry for people who live up high and people who have small kids and elderly.

That's really not ok. I'm prepared to walk down 31 stories... but walking up?! We still have about 4 weeks until move in, maybe I should start practicing at my gym's stairmaster!

Honestly, I'm so disappointed with how this building is coming along. It seems like it's not just ONE issue, it's issues on top of issues, and all of them are serious stuff. Extreme delays, multiple floodings, elevator issues, a pretty late registration...

Imagine how much the maintenance costs will skyrocket from year to year if this keeps up! I shudder at the thought.

I seem to recall reading in an earlier post that during a recent flood ( pipe breaking ) water was coming out of the elevators as well. If this is in fact the case perhaps it has something to do with it. Water and sensitive electronics usually don't mix very well. Just speculation on my part.

Right. It could be. However, the elevator issue started before the leak issues, and has been ongoing problem.

I am getting on the board and make sure the engineers inspect down to the last screw.

I have recently moved into my unit, and some lady (I assume a cleaning lady) just walked in, do workers or any other employees have access to our units? Also my unit has a lot of damage and nothing has been fixed since my PDI. For a brand new place I am completely disappointed and angry with how poor some of the work was done. If workers eventually come to complete certain defects/deficiencies do they have to let you know when they are going to be showing up? I would like to be there.

I have recently moved into my unit, and some lady (I assume a cleaning lady) just walked in, do workers or any other employees have access to our units? Also my unit has a lot of damage and nothing has been fixed since my PDI. For a brand new place I am completely disappointed and angry with how poor some of the work was done. If workers eventually come to complete certain defects/deficiencies do they have to let you know when they are going to be showing up? I would like to be there.

Hello Beej,

from what I remember in the contract, they do have to let you know ahead of time if someone will be in your unit. This is exactly so that you can be there during that time, should you want to.

The only exception was in case of an emergency (say, a pipe burst in your unit and you're not home... they obv have to come in to try fixing the problem quickly.

Back