News   Jul 25, 2024
 721     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 653     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 500     0 

Eglinton-Crosstown Corridor Debate

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
There is absolutely no conceivable way that a line that stops at red lights will shave ten minutes off a trip compared with the subway.

Oh?

I am at Kennedy station (for whatever reason) and I want to get to Bathurst & Eglinton.

If I take Eglinton LRT, I will get there in 32 minutes.

If I take Danforth Subway, transfer to Yonge Subway, it will take me 38 minutes to get to Eglinton Station. Then I will take whatever kind of to be running on Eglinton. Lets say between 5 (underground LRT) and 15 minutes (bus).

38 + 5 = 43 minutes.

I would have saved 11 minutes by not taking the subways. More if there weren't an underground on Eglinton.

And if I opted to use the Spadina subway to Eglinton West station instead, I would have lost a couple more minutes in travel.

Is it still "inconceivable"?

Oh?

I am at Kennedy station (for whatever reason) and I want to get to Bathurst & Eglinton.

If I take Danforth Subway, transfer to Yonge Subway, it will take me 38 minutes to get to Eglinton Station. Then I will take whatever kind of to be running on Eglinton. Lets say between 5 (underground LRT) and 15 minutes (bus).

38 + 5 = 43 minutes.

I would have saved 11 minutes by not taking the subways. More if there weren't an underground on Eglinton.

And if I opted to use the Spadina subway to Eglinton West station instead, I would have lost a couple more minutes in travel.

THis is shoking!

You took the Eglinton LRT already??? :D

Oh?

38 + 5 = 43 minutes.

I sure don't believe the TTC's estimates on travel time. Also, I agree that even if the LRT is slightly faster, people will probably end up choosing B/D and Yonge instead of Eglinton.

Even if it shaves 10 minutes off their total trip? You really don't have much faith in the intelligence of a commuter, do you?

I have no faith in yours when we're talking about a combined RT-Eglinton line and not point to point along Eglinton (and if there are so many people going point to point along Eglinton, you should be harping on about a continuous Eglinton line east of Kennedy).

Another reality is that plenty of people will take the subway even if taking random surface routes would be a few minutes quicker. A lot will depend on where buses terminate - whether or not they continue running to subway stations or if their riders will be thrown to the wolves and left at Transfer City lines instead.

I have no faith in yours when we're talking about a combined RT-Eglinton line and not point to point along Eglinton (and if there are so many people going point to point along Eglinton, you should be harping on about a continuous Eglinton line east of Kennedy).

:confused:

Not once did I advocate that Eglinton should terminate at Kennedy, nor that it should be interlined with SRT.

I sure don't believe the TTC's estimates on travel time.

Then what do you think the travel time will be?

I used quite a low speed in my calculation, considering much of this LRT travel will be underground.

Also, I agree that even if the LRT is slightly faster, people will probably end up choosing B/D and Yonge instead of Eglinton.

That's their choice, if they want to waste 20 extra minutes every day, not to mention making 2 additional transfers. Somehow, I think most people wouldn't.

To be honest, I couldn't make a lick of sense out of your sentence, so please explain to me what the hell "I have no faith in yours when we're talking about a combined RT-Eglinton line" means??

Try reading the posts, including your own...I merely repeated your phrase.

"I have no faith in your [intelligence] when we're talking about a combined RT-Eglinton line and not point to point along Eglinton"

So intelligence was the subject. I still don't understand your sentence. Am I not intelligent when you are talking about a combined line? I thought we agreed on that one, and that was already acknowledged earlier.

My response was to your "everybody will use Bloor Danforth instead, despite the lost time and additional transfers" bullshit. (yeah, reading your own quotes would help you, too).

Which will not be the case because, believe it or not, most people won't waste 20 minutes a day and add more transfers just to avoid the possibility of maybe stopping at a red light.

"I have no faith in your [intelligence] when we're talking about a combined RT-Eglinton line and not point to point along Eglinton"

So intelligence was the subject. I still don't understand your sentence. Am I not intelligent when you are talking about a combined line? I thought we agreed on that one, and that was already acknowledged earlier.

My response was to your "everybody will use Bloor Danforth instead, despite the lost time and additional transfers" bullshit. (yeah, reading your own quotes would help you, too).

Which will not be the case because, believe it or not, most people won't waste 20 minutes a day and add more transfers just to avoid the possibility of maybe stopping at a red light.

It's gone from 10 minutes to 20 minutes in the last page...will it be 30 minutes in your next post?

Don't assume I read posts not addressed to me. Your "total trip" before was 10 minutes and now it's "20 minutes a day." Trip = 1, total trip = more than 1.

edit - of course, your theoretical point to point trip along Eglinton has nothing to do with the combined Eglinton-RT corridor that I was talking about the whole time. Start your theoretical trip at McCowan & Ellesmere or Markham & Ellesmere (all travelling to the very popular trip generators at Bathurst & Eglinton) and we'll see what happens then.

Or Markham & Eglinton to Yonge & Lawrence...a combined Eglinton-RT corridor does nothing for that. How bout Malvern Town Centre to Don Mills & Eglinton? It'd be one seat on the combined line...or one seat on the Midtown GO line, which would be two or three times as fast. You have to get creative to think of trips that would see a clear benefit from a combined Eglinton-RT corridor, and are any of these theoretical trips taken by actual people in numbers large enough to justify combining them at the direct expense, at Kennedy station, of a Danforth-RT connection or an Eglinton-Eglinton connection? If yes, prove it before spending $5-6 billion dollars.

Last edited:

Back