News   Jul 25, 2024
 637     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 628     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 486     0 

Eglinton-Crosstown Corridor Debate

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
Unless the Metrolinx/TTC planners live in a cocoon, I'm pretty sure they know about how elevateds could look like. Whether they'd admit it, however, is another matter :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm very confused as to why Metrolinx is pushing for ICTS. Don't they realize that it's an orphan technology in Toronto?

Whatever they decide however, I really hope that Metrolinx overrules the TTC on Eglinton crosstown and make it either ICTS or Subway (hopefully subway). It really won't do a very good job of being the backbone of all the TC lines when it runs at the exact same capacity as them! Bloor will die under the strain :(

Actually, I'm very confused as to why Metrolinx is pushing for ICTS. Don't they realize that it's an orphan technology in Toronto?

It's only an orphan until you build the next line. The subway and even the buses were an orphans in the face of all the streetcars once...

Justifying the construction of more ICTS in this city on the basis of removing the RT's 'orphan' moniker is equivalent to breeding white elephants on purpose so that a single animal can be part of a herd, but it's still a herd of white elephants. Extinction's not so bad...it at least gets you featured in more coffee table books.

I'm generally not a big fan of ICTS (induction=dumb) but if we did build a full scale line, along Eglinton in this case, it might not be such a bad idea. Any line ~30km would have to get its own yard facility regardless, so would there be noticeably larger logistics footprint? There are no serious plans to connect the operations of a Crosstown route, so thats a non issue. Preferable to LRT in my books.

I would ultimately like to have a similar rolling stock to ICTS just equipped with vanilla motors and automated operations.

There is always monorail :)
B3-BT_AUTOMATEDMONORAILS-00-20080229-02-K7AB.JPG

Last edited:
^^ I'd be scared sh*tless to ride that hanging car thingy. :eek:

what happens in a breakdown or extended power outage? ladder ropes down to the surface :eek:

How many times have you "evacuated" a subway car when it was not in a station?

it would be rare but say that hanging train got stuck and had to be evacuated for whatever reason, it would be quite a process.

Back