News   Apr 24, 2024
 939     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 615     0 

East Danforth

According to the Toronto Buildings website, permits have been applied for to renovate 1417 Danforth Ave to accommodate a Starbucks. That's on the SW corner of Danforth and Monarch Park, recently occupied by Top Notch Pizza.

The new Starbucks is plugging along. They applied for a sign permit yesterday.

Starbucks.jpg

Attachments

• Starbucks.jpg
    Starbucks.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,200
Slightly different nabe, but apparently the Starbucks at Gerrard/Jones will be closing at the end of October.

That's surprising. That stretch has been gentrifying, in part due to the Starbucks. Maybe a dispute with the landlord rather than low sales? Homeowners in the vicinity will no doubt be disappointed (in a land value sense, even if not in a coffee sense).

Except that teen spending is actually shifting to places like Starbucks from clothing retailers, which is giving the retailers heartburn. Starbucks is, surprisingly, teens' top choice for food and drink spending.

I'm not sure that spot has any less walk or drive-by traffic than many other Starbucks locations. But I haven't paid much attention to walking patterns at the intersection, so maybe I am wrong on that.

Robertson Parkette, just west of Coxwell on the south side of the Danforth is in need of some serious love. It feels completely underutilized.

Ah, I mistook this for Dentonia Park United Church/Hope United Church (hence, why I posted here)? The one at the northwest corner of Danforth & Main. Mods, could you please move this to the Riverdale thread? Thanks.

This is Dentonia. Twins.

Henry Langley designed Trinity-St. Paul's Methodist/United at Bloor and Spadina which predates both of these. I wonder if the other congregations didn't use the drawings to save money?

There's a lot of old Ontario Methodist Gothic type churches shown here, and many resemble each other.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 3.19.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 3.19.11 PM.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 427
2388 Danforth Ave. (between Main and Gledhill), currently occupied by a decrepit and vacant auto repair joint, is being redeveloped with a car wash (according to the City's Buildings Department site). A car wash is not a great improvement, for a stretch of Danforth that can really use some decent redevelopment, but I suppose it's better than what is there now and we can look at it as an interim use. This is almost across the street from the On The Danforth condo, so it is possible this site will also see redevelopment as the Danforth condo market matures.

EastDanforth.jpg

Attachments

• EastDanforth.jpg
    EastDanforth.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 778
Last edited:

Back