News   Apr 25, 2024
 363     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Dwt Toronto has lost its position as retail mecca to 905

I live in Markham/Unionville, and yes the retail scene here is pretty intense, the strip on hwy 7 is all commercial and retail

Sq One doesn't has a high per sq ft sales as other mall, but has the highest visitors rate at 16 million/year.

Two things: one, there were more Zellers in the suburbs, and since Target largely started in Canada through the acquisition of Zellers leases, that will in large part dictate its first locations; two, Target is a US retailer more comfortable with suburban environment. There's only one Target in all of Manhattan (Harlem). However, there are new Targets being built in Toronto, such as Stockyards and I believe One York.

I live in Markham/Unionville, and yes the retail scene here is pretty intense, the strip on hwy 7 is all commercial and retail

Which makes it all the more frustrating that the condos under construction in the city centre area have no retail facing Highway 7. And the commercial development anchored by Whole Foods is a glorified single use power centre. They're trying to create a high density, walkable, mixed use city centre and they're screwing it up.

Brampton alone has more Targets per capita than Toronto.

Brampton has three Targets. All former Zellers. Target still refused the Kennedy Road/Vodden store. The closest Zellers to downtown Toronto was Galleria Mall and Gerrard Square and Target didn't want them.

Brampton has three Targets. All former Zellers. Target still refused the Kennedy Road/Vodden store. The closest Zellers to downtown Toronto was Galleria Mall and Gerrard Square and Target didn't want them.

There was one on Roncey too. Is that empty still?

Good question about that old Dundas/Roncesvalles location. I don't know - I haven't been by there for a long while, but I do know Target didn't take that lease over.
Target would rather build a new one at St. Clair and Weston instead, essentially serving the same area, just slightly over two kilometres away.

Maybe I'm picturing the corner wrong, but did that not become a Loblaws a few years back?

Yes, the Loblaws is still there, on the east side of the....strip mall? The Zellers was to the north/west of the Loblaws, in a separate building, and beside the LCBO.

Last edited:

Back