News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.7K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.8K     13 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 667     0 

Dwell City Towns (427 & Rathburn, Menkes, ?s, ?) (was Sell-Off Condos)

I'm confused by your statement regarding the West Mall's past though. It's lined with ugly 60's tower-in-park slabs and low-rise industrial (south of Dundas). When has this street ever even remotely approached any form of luxury and exclusivity?

Well, I can see where he's coming from, if you use a little Graeme Stewart perspectivizing: back in the 60s and 70s, a lot of these so-called ugly towers-in-the-park *did* denote a certain ultra-modern luxury and exclusivity. And it didn't hurt that Etobicoke Civic Centre was in the middle of it all.

Though the proximity of 427 (esp. after its express-collector widening) didn't help matters--and maybe toss in rent control, the dawn of the condominium, etc. Maybe if you want a hint of what "luxury and exclusivity" once meant, ponder the apartment towers further west along Mill Road, where glam old Etobidowagers still lurk...

Admittedly I don't stretch back to the 60's or 70's, but those slabs on either side of the 427 have always had a horrible reputation in my lifetime. Even in grade school, kids who lived there used to get made fun of.

You may have a point there--and incidentally, the glam reputation of a lot of those pioneering slabs often had a "swinging singles" thing about it. When it came to being budget housing for families, though...

Maybe if you want a hint of what "luxury and exclusivity" once meant, ponder the apartment towers further west along Mill Road, where glam old Etobidowagers still lurk...

^^ You are kidding me right? Mill Road is almost identical in set up and is in fact right at the Etob/'ssauga border. I'd rather be closer to Toronto (even if by only a few Km's), not sharing two cities with a "hop" across a single intersection...

You can't tell me that you find the building right on the corner of Mill Rd. and Burnhamthorpe attractive? Talking about a street that looks like it belongs in the slums... LOL

Oh well, 'tis your opinions. Keep on bashing adma and you other haters if that's all you can occupy your day with...

Thanks 42 for at least being civil. :D It was nice chatting with you!!

Peace out boyz.

ponder the apartment towers further west along Mill Road, where glam old Etobidowagers still lurk...

actually, HooHaa, adma is correct about this....although you have to go way back to the 70's, these were considered ultra-luxury buildings....there is one there, built on a zigzag shape, I think it is called the Masters, that was considered very chi-chi in 1976 - I think it won several design awards...today, it and the other buildings around the intersection, have a population whose average age is about 75 years...and this is no slum land - directly south of here is the Markland Woods subdivision, with very expensive homes....

and peace out to you too.....

actually, HooHaa, adma is correct about this....although you have to go way back to the 70's, these were considered ultra-luxury buildings....there is one there, built on a zigzag shape, I think it is called the Masters, that was considered very chi-chi in 1976 - I think it won several design awards...today, it and the other buildings around the intersection, have a population whose average age is about 75 years...and this is no slum land - directly south of here is the Markland Woods subdivision, with very expensive homes....

and peace out to you too.....

That's my point, too; a demographic thing even more than a stylistic/urbanistic thing--and not just the Masters, either, but also the more conventional high-rises across and nearby. Here, you can still get a pretty close approximation of the desirable-living idealism that such suburban high-rises once signified.

You can't tell me that you find the building right on the corner of Mill Rd. and Burnhamthorpe attractive? Talking about a street that looks like it belongs in the slums... LOL

And a lot of those Masters-dwellers would likely view HooHaa as a vulgarian from the so-called slums.

... these were considered ultra-luxury buildings....there is one there, built on a zigzag shape, I think it is called the Masters, that was considered very chi-chi in 1976 - I think it won several design awards...

Are you talking about the one on the West Mall? (475)

no, it's right on the SW corner of Burnhamthorpe and Mill Rd....it faces directly onto the Etobicoke Creek (dividing line between Etobicoke & Mississauga)

Yeah, it's a bit strange looking, borderline brutalist even? In any case, it's not my cup of tea at all but I can't bring myself to hate it either. It is one of the more interesting examples of its time, for better or worse, and should be respected as part of our built history.

It's up there w/Habitat in the "luxury avant-garde Brutalism" category. And unlike Trellick Tower in London, it never had a down time. It just happens to be in the fringe of Doug Holyday country, so nobody's ever paid attention...

"It" is actually two buildings - two zigzags - and yup, when the Masters went up in the 70s they were the latest, coolest, etc. Most units in the buildings go through, and therefore have both eastern and western exposures via a split-level arrangement and halls on every second floor. West facing windows take in the Markland Wood Golf and Country Club, hence the golfing name of the complex.

Oh yes - and that's Markland Wood, not Woods. And yes as well to the Etobidowager situation of many residents in the building: my Grandmother lived there for years, while we were a few blocks south.

I am suddenly feeling nostalgic and wondering if there are any other Marklanders - former like me, or presently living there - on the forum?

"It" is actually two buildings - two zigzags - and yup, when the Masters went up in the 70s they were the latest, coolest, etc.

Pics anybody?

272398_1_sm.jpeg

Back