News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 836     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Durham Region Transit / Pulse

Turns out, this was a serious incident and the operator/attendant was rushed to a trauma facility with serious injuries. He is in critical condition.

Probably time to shut the shuttle down until we can work the errors out ...

Any news on why it occured? I just saw that it crashed into a tree, which would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious. Darned paywall.

Probably time to shut the shuttle down until we can work the errors out ...

Any news on why it occured? I just saw that it crashed into a tree, which would be hilarious if it wasn't so serious. Darned paywall.

At least it did not get stuck on a railway crossing while full of passengers?

At least it did not get stuck on a railway crossing while full of passengers?
Which incident is this?

If you're responding to the comment that we should suspend the service, I want to see if it was human error or automation error that caused the crash.

The incidents per km of this AV shuttle seem to be higher than buses and trains in general, which move millions of people across the country, just fine. Edit: Might just be that the sample size of AVs isn't large enough, but it's hardly an auspicious start to the program.

Last edited:
Update on the Autonomous bus crash:

From poster David H. over at cptdb.ca

1641661000201.png

A live link to the police statement is here:

EA is out for the DSBRT: Here are some highlights (Note that these are technically proof of concept, and don't represent what will actually be built)

Bus lanes temporarily end near UTSC before continuing again - requiring busses to quickly cross 2 lanes of traffic
unknown.png
unknown.png

Bus platforms shorten to 20m for whatever reason between UTSC and Sheppard/Kingston
unknown.png

Lanes briefly end at the Toronto/Pickering border, where there is a curbside platform, and eastbound busses have to immediately swap to the median:
unknown.png

Westbound busses from this point continue in curbside for a few hundred meters, before rapidly shifting to the median:
unknown.png

unknown.png

Eastbound only bus lanes in downtown Whitby:
unknown.png

Random 33m platform:
unknown.png

Downtown Oshawa segment splits into 2 segments, King Street and Bond Street, curbside lanes that match in quality with RapidTO:
unknown.png

Eastbound lane ends crashing face first into a 20m long platform. This is how this BRT ends.
unknown.png

I really hope that they make a lot of improvements before construction starts, with weirdly inconsistent platform lengths, to bus lanes that just randomly change the side of the road they're on, there's a lot of seemingly shoddy design that should definitely be fixed.

Bus lanes temporarily end near UTSC before continuing again - requiring busses to quickly cross 2 lanes of traffic
unknown.png
unknown.png
I think they are saving this portion for when the UTSC secondary plan gets implemented further, the realignment of Military Trail, and whatever they are doing with the Eglinton East LRT.

I am a bit confused, however, as to why the Durham shelters have walls on the ROW side while the Scarborough ones don’t. I’m guessing it has to do with the different models of buses the TTC operates, but that could be an issue in Durham too.

I am a bit confused, however, as to why the Durham shelters have walls on the ROW side while the Scarborough ones don’t. I’m guessing it has to do with the different models of buses the TTC operates, but that could be an issue in Durham too.

That would seem to require very precise stopping by buses.

I like the look of these overall, but the 2-wall system, with the full opening the way it is........makes me curious about the wind profile.

This is an E-W road, and prevailing winds in Toronto tend to be from the west......

Not my field of expertise. Just a curiosity.

Back