News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 696     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

I'm quite surprised that there's no mention of a future streetcar line...

Aside from the 1997 report, which recommended against streetcar service on the southern half of Dufferin, I am missing something?

What good would a streetcar do on the traffic heavy Dufferin St.?
I'm all for streetcars on Dufferin, it's the city's busiest bus route. However, there isn't enough room for a ROW so with Dufferin's nearly full day traffic lineups south of Bloor, a bus seems to fit in better because it can get around them.

The 1997 report has definitely been superceded, though, since a lot of the Transit City routes wouldn't have met its requirements for streetcar service.

Remember that Dufferin is only the busiest bus route because it is one of the few which go both north and south of Bloor.

The 1997 report has definitely been superceded, though, since a lot of the Transit City routes wouldn't have met its requirements for streetcar service.

Remember that Dufferin is only the busiest bus route because it is one of the few which go both north and south of Bloor.

Dufferin deserves great service, for it is a great street. I would like to see at minimum articulated buses, especially during the afternoon rush hour.

If we can find a way to wedge a ROW in there, I'm all for it, but I don't think it will happen unless oil hits $500 a barrel. Then I'm sure we won't mind having only one lane for cars.

i agree... Dufferin has a lot of volume, but I don't see streetcar service on there either... artics are on their way, and that will help a lot. I don't see why the TTC shouldn't put a spare at Bloor though to allow all door boarding on buses to help the backlog there, though yes, as MetroMan says, the buses provide the flexibility there to get around the jam.

Dufferin's way too narrow for a streetcar and there's very little room for a terminus at Bloor. Streetcars could however wye down Dufferin between Queen and the CNE. There were plans once to separate Dufferin into north and south routes either at St Clair or at Eglinton which would alleviate the bcaklogging of buses (long waits for a vehicle, then several arrive).

Dufferin has bunching (which isn't surprising given the high level of service it gets) and some problems with service gaps, but really, compared to some of the really long east-west routes, it isn't that bad. While it does go north and south of Bloor, unlike Bathurst or Keele, it stops early on at Wilson, which actually helps.

The Dufferin width is the same as Bathurst isn't it? Streetcar service works well there.

Yes it does, but the city's unofficial policy (it may be official) is that no new streetcar routes will run in mixed traffic.

So what do they plan to do on Jane?

I've been (and alot of other people have been) advocating for it to use the Weston sub once it gets there.

South of Eglinton you'll have difficulty widening roads, and south of St. Clair is where it starts to look like Dufferin.

Yes it does, but the city's unofficial policy (it may be official) is that no new streetcar routes will run in mixed traffic.
Plans change ... the problem here, is that the Dufferin bus is starting to approach the point, where it just can't carry more people, and they need larger vehicles. No one is suggesting that streetcars on Bathurst be converted to bus, or that a separated right-of-way be built. And I don't really here a lot of complaints about the service on Bathurst (though I admit I'm not on that part of town). So I don't know why streetcar tracks wouldn't be considered - far cheaper than putting them in a subway.

So what do they plan to do on Jane?
Not 100% decided, but not mixed traffic, an not in a separate on-street ROW south of St. Clair. The original suggestion was to put it in a subway south of St. Clair.

The Dufferin bus is very busy. I dated a guy who lived at Dufferin & College and I used to take the 29 from Dufferin station to College. It usually wasn't too long a wait, but bunching is definitely an issue. Still better than any MT route though. If the TTC had balls it would build a Dufferin subway lol.

The most recent TTC documents appear to admit that they'll need to tunnel from at least St. Clair (like Pape on the East side) down or find another route (i.e. the Weston rail corridor).

Back