News   Jul 08, 2024
 385     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 631     0 

DRL routing. Where would you put it?

Where would you route the DRL between University and Yonge?

• North of Queen

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Queen Street

Votes: 64 37.6%
  • Richmond/Adelaide

Votes: 31 18.2%
  • King Street

Votes: 34 20.0%
  • Wellington Street

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Front Street

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Rail Corridor

Votes: 14 8.2%
  • South of the Rail Corridor

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters
Before building the DRL I think the first priority should be to continue the Yonge Line underground to Barrie. Perhaps not the best use of funds but it has a far better chance of being built.
How do you propose Toronto build a DRL? There is no chance in hell that Ottawa will contribute a dime when Toronto is not willing to and Queen's Park is broke. This is a city that refuses to even consider a PPP, elevation is heresy and not part of Miller's dream of "great city building", hell even using existing rail ROW is even considered only under extreme duress. Even if Toronto was willing to actually consider using it's current Georgetown rail corridor that option is no longer available as it is now being used as for the slow, smelly, polluting Pearson Air Link.
I don't think Gondola could work as a DRL as I don't think it has the capacity but I'm not against it on ideological reasons. I think it could work well along the Hamilton rail corridor to Miminco via Rogers, CityPlace, Liberty Village, The X, ect..
I will give the proponent of the Gondola and it's supporters one thing........they are willing to think outside the box and entertain alternative transportation options. Toronto has always, and continue to, refuse to even entertain alternative options and by artificially limiting it's cost effective options it finds itself in the predicament it is in today.
Under those current constraints the DRL will NEVER, EVER get built. A sad reality but reality none the less.

Under those current constraints the DRL will NEVER, EVER get built. A sad reality but reality none the less.

I think they will realize the importance of the DRL once it gets so congested that people won't be able to get on it without waiting 30-60 min to get on it. Or people will get pushed onto the tracks due to lack of space. At that time, the DRL will gain attention and people will question why it wasn't built earlier. Whether the DRL ever reaches past bloor is another issue. But the most important aspect is to relieve the Yonge and Bloor congestion. It's practically impossible to get on the train without waiting 15 min during rush hour. But as soon as it hits Yonge and Bloor, 2/3 of the people get off and it's mostly empty. Then the people at Yonge and Bloor station move in I guess and fills it back up a bit.

Last edited:
Yonge & Bloor has been a bottleneck for decades but it hasn't meant squat. Even if capacity all of a sudden doubled at the interchange that changes nothing.
Queen's Park is completely broke and they are already handing over $8.4 billion.............that won't ever happen again. Ottawa won't give a dime if Toronto doesn't and Toronto refuses to acknowledge it's responsibility to shoulder any of it's infrastructure costs.
The reality is that there is no money at all and there probably won't be for decades. Even if they get some money in the 2020s, there will be a real battle as many will insist that the first priority will be to get the Eglinton Line west to Pearson. Also you will NEVER get another Premier like McGuinty who is willing to hand over money without Toronto also ponying up a good chunk of change which Toronto considers heresy.
The only way Toronto will get the massive funds it needs to build any kind of DRL is if it sells it's 2 biggest assests........the Gardiner and the DVP. If they could sell them to the highest bidder and then let the new owners to charrge whatever they wanted is the only way they could ever get the money needed and even that won't be enough as Toronto will still determine the entire line has to be tunneled at Toronto's escalated prices.
The DRl is not dead but that's only because it never had any life in it to begin with. The DRL will remain what it currently is, a fantasy line that looks pretty on future maps but unless Toronto faces up to fiscal realitties and pursues alternative funding sources, technologies, and alighnments it will remain precisely that.

And the priority will be to extend the Sheppard subway further east to Warden and have the University Line extend to Canada's Wonderland where the train will become part of a roller coaster. And then have an extension to Seneca College's King Campus where the campus would be inside the station itself.

Well, personally, I think we need two DRL's.

funone.jpg

The red queen line would be my DRL. It would probably function well as either a subway or a buried LRT. It would run east-west between Roncesvalles and Victoria Park and head northward at each of these streets to Bloor, initially - though it could be extended northward. It would have GO connections at Dundas West, Dufferin and Queen and on Victoria Park.

If another zillion dollars popped up, I'd like to see the white line as well - a downtown-waterfront express. Semi-buried DRL or subway, whichever works. It would run east-west between Dufferin and Pape, and turn northward up each of these streets to Eglinton at least - if not further. It would have GO connections at Queen and Dufferin, Bathurst and Front, Cherry Street and Gerrard at Pape.
This line would be notable for taking passengers directly into the heart of the financial district (King and Bay) while also giving direct access to the Dufferin Gates, Ontario Place, the Princes' Gates, the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood, and the Distillery District. The Pan Am lands - GO station at Cherry street would be in a good position to facilitate access to the Portlands.

Last edited:
Before building the DRL I think the first priority should be to continue the Yonge Line underground to Barrie. Perhaps not the best use of funds but it has a far better chance of being built.
H.

I hope you are kidding

Well, personally, I think we need two DRL's.

funone.jpg

. It would run east-west between Dufferin and Pape, and turn northward up each of these streets to Eglinton at least - if not further. It would have GO connections at Queen and Dufferin, Bathurst and Front, Cherry Street and Gerrard at Pape.
This line would be notable for taking passengers directly into the heart of the financial district (King and Bay) while also giving direct access to the Dufferin Gates, Ontario Place, the Princes' Gates, the St. Lawrence Neighbourhood, and the Distillery District. The Pan Am lands - GO station at Cherry street would be in a good position to facilitate access to the Portlands.
I hear Adam Vaughan say about 2 weeks ago before the Spadina line was proposed to run north of Bloor they were proposing a subway that was to run along the waterfront and then the western part anyway was to go up Dufferin. But then others councillor decided for whatever reason to build it along Spadina (well I don;t think the Spadina line is really along Spadina) but along the Allen. No forethought even then - for sure political reasons even then

I hear Adam Vaughan say about 2 weeks ago before the Spadina line was proposed to run north of Bloor they were proposing a subway that was to run along the waterfront and then the western part anyway was to go up Dufferin. But then others councillor decided for whatever reason to build it along Spadina (well I don;t think the Spadina line is really along Spadina) but along the Allen. No forethought even then - for sure political reasons even then

I've read through all the old transit plans and nothing quite like that was ever planned. There were vague ideas about a north-south line in that corridor that could have been anywhere from Bathurst to Dufferin. The Spadina subway plan was always part of a comprehensive Spadina corridor plan that included both an expressway and a rapid transit line. When the expressway was cancelled, the rapid transit line remained. The Spadina line isn't perfect but it's well-used and it does a pretty good job of serving the western part of the city.

I've read through all the old transit plans and nothing quite like that was ever planned. There were vague ideas about a north-south line in that corridor that could have been anywhere from Bathurst to Dufferin. The Spadina subway plan was always part of a comprehensive Spadina corridor plan that included both an expressway and a rapid transit line. When the expressway was cancelled, the rapid transit line remained. The Spadina line isn't perfect but it's well-used and it does a pretty good job of serving the western part of the city.
Look, I am just stating what Adam Vaughan said. And the the fact that bathurst was ever considered made no sense as it is too close to Yonge st and the subway. And the debate probably between bathuirst and dufferin is probably why it was choosen to go in the middle although its really closer to Dufferin St. (political for sure. You think politics just entered transit today?) And how you think the Spadina line serves the western part of the city - look at the subway map - does that look like the western part of the city? But I guess if Yonge is the dividing line then spadina is west of there though i consider it to be the central part. The waterfront from Dufferin to Yonge st is considered the central waterfront. So that would mean transit between Dufferin and Yonge is transit that serves the central part of the city.

Last edited:
Then there was that old plan to have the B/D dip south at Christie and make it's way down to Queen, and then go back up again in the east. Could have even included a Chinatown stop.

Then there was that old plan to have the B/D dip south at Christie and make it's way down to Queen, and then go back up again in the east. Could have even included a Chinatown stop.

Yup -- "the Flying U".
It would've also made it easy for the current Bloor-Danforth line to be constructed if needed. Toronto could've killed two birds with one stone had it all come together like that.

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/images/subway-5104-18.gif

Back