News   Jul 22, 2024
 459     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 594     0 

DRL: Pitching DRL to the Mayor. Seriously.

Re: What does DRL mean anyway?

Downtown Relief Line.

AoD

Nada. Zip. Zilch. I never heard back from anyone who got it.

Bit frustrating, really. Guess we'd all better start loving streetcars.

^It's the timing. Even five years ago before this York U madness blew up, there might've been a slight chance. As important as downtown is the fact the DRL wings off to lower density areas along Weston SUB and Pape/Don Mills, in effect cutting off the eastern and western limits of the core, it's undesirable/ineffective to multiple node/trippers and maybe that's contributing to the delay.

The fact will always remian the brunt of development in Toronto is way north of the rail corridor, so if ideas don't start reflecting that and soon, YUS loop+BD is the best the downtown will ever see!

Speak of the devil-- today I received the following:

Dear Matthew:

Thank you for your email concerning rapid transit expansion in Toronto. The mayor appreciates the time you have taken to study solutions for Toronto's transit issues and has asked me to respond.

Certain parts of your idea are being considered by the TTC but, in general, we plan to build new lines on city streets as close to people as possible. Since the city is built to turn its back on railways they are often difficult to reach for pedestrians and offer a less attractive alternative to cars. Light rail also does not require full grade separation from pedestrians so some of the benefits of rail corridors are lost. However, the TTC will be presenting its expansion plans in the near future, and they are considering using rail corridors for light rail lines where they provide express service and intersect built-up main streets.

You should know that the RTES no longer guides our planning process since we are not looking at subway projects. Instead, you should look at the Building A Transit City report and the Ridership Growth Strategy (both available at www.toronto.ca/ttc/schedu...ereports). You will find that rail and hydro corridors are identified as possible locations for higher order transit, a position supported by the Official Plan. Also, the TTC already runs some rapid transit in rail corridors in Etobicoke and Scarborough, and GO offers long haul rail service.

Thank you for writing and sharing your concerns. Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Yours truly,
Brendan Agnew-Iler
Policy Advisor
Office of Mayor David Miller
Toronto City Hall
100 Queen Street West
Toronto ON M5H 2N2
p: (416) 397-2489

Contains some interesting tidbits, no?

the TTC will be presenting its expansion plans in the near future, and they are considering using rail corridors for light rail lines where they provide express service and intersect built-up main streets.
That sounds great... but when?

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Thank God, the City hasn't gone mad afterall! Not knocking your efforts Matt but localized rapid transit through the rail corridor has transwank disaster written all over it.

we plan to build new lines on city streets as close to people as possible.

Scarberian you owe a serious apology for all the months of torture and slander now. See, REAL Torontonians want subways/RT along REAL Toronto street corridors not something yet again butt-kissing suburbanites and etilist condo dreck. I won't dig through this entire forum for all the times you've stated how bad a Queen Street subway would be for the city, overglorifying people walking a km down to an underdeveloped open trench to ride transit when the core itself has zippo. But you know now what I knew all along, it's a ****ing... retarded... notion :evil .

Since the city is built to turn its back on railways they are often difficult to reach for pedestrians and offer a less attractive alternative to cars.

Amen brother, pass the I-told-you-so if you don't mind. We go decades neglecting the rail corridors and suddenly it's supposed to be our saviour :lol ?

the benefits of rail corridors are lost.

YES!

You should know that the RTES no longer guides our planning process since we are not looking at subway projects. Instead, you should look at the Building A Transit City report and the Ridership Growth Strategy

Yes, again! Whose's waiting around for 20-year subway projects built in the wrong parts of the city, we'll take a series of new LRT routes in the right parts now :D !

That sounds great... but when?

Long before I ever have to hear the word DRL again I hope! Good riddens to gross exaggeration of demand.

Brendan Agnew-Iler clearly only read the first paragraph of the letter, which was focused on rail corridors as opposed to the entire relief component of the plan, both relief to the Yonge and Bloor lines and relief to all the busy neighbourhoods it passes through.

edit - "in general, we plan to build new lines on city streets as close to people as possible."

Like Steeles West?

"I won't dig through this entire forum for all the times you've stated how bad a Queen Street subway would be for the city"

Go ahead and find one time that I said it would be "bad." On the contrary, it's a wonderful fantasy, only I know that its merits are wildly exaggerated and that, given current circumstances, our money is better spent elsewhere.

First let me say I'm sorry allabootmatt that you got the bums-rush from the mayors office for what is a great plan.

What is this mayors facination with Lrt's in Rows on city streets............I personally love our streetcars, and in their on ROWs they're even better, but it's just not a long term solution to the city's future transit needs...........is it not projected that Toronto will add another 1 million people in the next 10-20 years??.........LRT's on suburban roads that are wide enough like we have in Scarb./Etob./NY are great but to simply rely on LRT tech as the back-bone of an already damaged system is not the way to go...................Toronto the richest city in Canada which is one of the richest countries in the world, absolutely no excuse to be crying poor when it comes to future and current vital infrastructure needs......and don't respond that we give away more in taxes then we receive in return; we're not unique in that regard, and to hear "His Boldness" spew that answer each and every time the question is posed; is NOT leadership...............what we need are real solutions and a sustainable source of funding to go with a long term plan (20-30years), not just planning for the four years or so of civic political term.................Come on people we're f-in Toronto..... lets start thinking as big as we actually are.

sorry for the rant..........just anything coming from miller or his crony's makes my blood boil.........but then again you get what you my fellow Torontonians voted for.........well done fellow citizens, way to go?!!??

And how would you proposing coming up with a plan of building subways, and how would that translate in the mayor's actions, knowing that he has no control over the purse-strings of the senior levels of governments?

AoD

This not about what i'm proposing, my post is about how this mayor dismisses anything that is not in his even slightly different to his agenda(and yes he definately has one......as do all polititions).......:rolleyes

Here's an idea.............ask the mayor about Public/Private Partnerships for transit or infrastructure funding......his answer will be as always that that is not an option for Toronto.................yet loads of cities around the world have great sucess with such arrangements.........but "oh no, not here"................what is needed in this city is some actual vision and the Balls to do something......................anything.

Maybe if more people ranted like mikeTDOT, someone higher up would...*gasp!*...start listening. We have the means to build as many new transit lines as we want, we just choose not to.

mikeTDOT:

re: P3 - do you know what kind of riderships those cities can garner, compared to Toronto, for example? Or where the additional funding for subways comes from? It's easy to say other cities have great successes with such arrangements without knowing the context at which it occurs.

AoD

Back