News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 558     0 

DRL: Pitching DRL to the Mayor. Seriously.

Hmmm.... I can't say that his posts were my favourite.... but wow... such anger welling up here :b Actually, I think that is enough now -- since he cannot respond -- it would not be a fair forum.

Temporary ban and a warning. Not the first time he's said something that warrents banning. He's called people names in the past.

Was all that was really necessary (i.e. it was not one slip).

Temporary ban and a warning. Not the first time he's said something that warrents banning. He's called people names in the past.

And frankly he's turned me and many off from reading certain threads. Time for him to take a time out.

"Jew is an offensive term, China is not."

Well, unless China's short for Chinaman, or Chinatown is used derogatively to refer to any Asian place. One can make a good case that there's double standards involved here, but I don't feel like going into it. Let's just agree that Jewtown in this case was clearly meant to be interpreted a certain way, cf: "Asiancourt" on page 3 of the big subway expansion thread.

Especially since when it was first used (as I learned from old movies), Chinatown was were all the weird people with long fingernails and opium dens would be located. I am quite sure that the original usage was not a nice usage. But of course attitudes changed, and the chinese immigration became accepted and celebrated -- and chinatown's image changed.

Except it's not Little Israel...I bet at least half the Jewish people along Bathurst are from Russia and have never set foot in Israel.

Ironically, about half the Jewish people along Bathurst "from" Russia never set foot in Canada until they arrived via Israel. More broadly, you need to understand that the Jewish people is a diasporic one -- the link to Israel is not simply about individuals' experiences living in the historic area much of which is modern-day Israel, but about the longer attachment of the Jewish people to the area known as Israel which undergirds much of the culture and religion. (That attachment is, of course, a matter completely separate from political "debates" as to whether or not the Jewish people has rights under international law.)

Jewish quarters have long tended to be called "Little Jerusalem", though, not "Little Israel" (from quick Google: Sarcelles near Paris, France; Thessaloniki, Greece ["Madre de Israel" & "Second Jerusalem"]; Worms in what is today Germany; Camden Street and Portobello in Dublin, Ireland; Pitigliano in Tuscany, Italy; Vilnius, Lithuania [the "Jerusalem of Lithuania"]; Sefrou near Fez, Morocco; Oudtshoorn in South Africa). For that reason, I'd guess "Little Jerusalem" would be a bit more traditional alongside "Chinatown" and "Little Italy" and so on.

A thousand pardons for feeding the troll...what was amusing in the beginning is now, and ever shall be, rant without end.

I think we can all agree that "jew" is not an appropriate term. Jewish is the appropriate term and Little Israel would have been fine as well.

I find socialwoe purposely posts abrasive comments. Half the time he is putting in the >: and :evil faces in his comments showing he knows full well he is trying to provoke something.

there's really no reason why 'Jewtown' should be more offensive than 'Chinatown,' but it is, because it just is.

Jew is an offensive term, China is not. Jewishtown or Little Israel would be more comparable to Chinatown.

We've gone off topic here. Take this discussion to General Discussions and let's stick with talking about the DRL.

Well, it appears that the DRL in subway form is 'offtopic' now with the new LRT plans. I am actuall pretty anxious on to see the accompanying schedules/route maps that come out tommorrow. I also hope they learn from the spadina streetcar and make the improvements necessary to speed up trip times.

I doubt it will be planned, but I wish they would tunnel the right turn as the route enters the downtown core from the west to majorly improve speeds.

Not that I want to feed this, but let me get this straight. 'Jew' is a no no, but 'Jews' is kosher? What about Jewry?

He's history...

Not quite!

And frankly he's turned me and many off from reading certain threads. Time for him to take a time out.

:eek Time out? Is this kindergarden? Very mature to ban someone without proper cause or warning then ignoring their plea to return. For someone so concerned with not offending people's feelings, you sure didn't give a ---- about mine!

Actually, I think that is enough now -- since he cannot respond -- it would not be a fair forum.

Yes, the most ethically tolerant forum around is apparently comprised of hypocrites who bash minorities who can't defend themselves :rolleyes . And they called me insensitive, hah!

And I think we need a break too.

Sorry to burst your bubble but since when did someone who came here to discuss transit related issues, got trashed on to no end yet still valued your opinions enough to keep posting here deserve to be ousted the way I was. It was very harsh and condescending considering I never would have imagined saying something like 'Jewtown' in the ilk of Chinatown, Koreatown, etc. was by any means offensive. Was it antisemetic or something? I don't know, no one gave me the benefit of the doubt, they just threw me out like trash and have only angered me beyond previous levels of anger >: >: >: ! Oops, were those the emoticons that upset Enviro?
Must've angered him too.

Christ when did transit enthusiasm become character assissination. Everytime I post it's like I have to defend myself. Why couldn't you all just except my flaws but at least try to value my opinions, which by the looks of current events weren't that far off or transwank afterall. I hate that things had to end on this note when I thought my posts at least brought some humour and lightness to the forum which frankly lagged days on end sometimes without my input. Thank you all for being 100x more insensitive to me than I ever was to anyone of the Jewish faith, whom ironically I was advocating a new LRT line for through their community, whatever PC description you give it. Adieu :smokin :hat !

Back