News   May 21, 2024
 93     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 

Downtown Yonge

I used the report link but I doubt they will do any thing.
They are normally very quick to act. I've seen changes made within hours.

I have reported several problems to Google Maps but they are non responsive.
Really? Recently? They had problems a couple of years ago when they were using a third-party vendor for the mapping. But since then?

Google's horrible these days. They can't even fix the LRT stop icons for Brampton's 200-series school special routes, and I reported it two years ago now. I reported the mislabelling of the Ainslie Street bus terminal in Galt, Cambridge as "GO Transit Cambridge" as it is misinformation - the only GO stop in Cambridge is all the way in DumbCentres by the 401. Nothing's been done, and the feature is "locked for editing". Business listings are problematic - "H" hospital logos are now used for any medical service. "Verified businesses" are uneditable in Map Maker, and more things are locked for editing even though they contain wrong information.

Last edited:
Two problems that I reported over a year ago and nothing was done about are...

My parents street in Durham England when you try to scroll along it google jumps into the back lane way.
You don't get to see the fronts of the houses only the back lane way.

A second problem is they show my sister's house as being in the wrong municipality for some reason they have the border between municipalities in the wrong location.

Google's horrible these days. They can't even fix the LRT stop icons for Brampton's 200-series school special routes, and I reported it two years ago now. I reported the mislabelling of the Ainslie Street bus terminal in Galt, Cambridge as "GO Transit Cambridge" as it is misinformation - the only GO stop in Cambridge is all the way in DumbCentres by the 401. Nothing's been done, and the feature is "locked for editing". Business listings are problematic - "H" hospital logos are now used for any medical service. "Verified businesses" are uneditable in Map Maker, and more things are locked for editing even though they contain wrong information.
Might be worth repeating the original complaint if it's been 2 years. That might pre-date the current system.

For the Cambridge terminal - is the ticket still open? Something odd on that one ... I filed a report.

As for the UK ... not sure how it works there. I've reported a couple of missing pathways there, and they've been added.

Is the city already removing one car lane on Yonge?
I notice that the yellow line has been redrawn between Dundas and Queen, and a few new diagonal parking spots have been created in front a store.
Yonge between Dundas and Queen is a two lane street now. Not sure about north of Dundas.

I heard on the news that they’ve already started restricting the lanes on Yonge between Queen and Gerard. Should be an interesting experiment and may make for added excitement during the red carpet arrivals at the Elgin/Winter Garden during TIFF. It’s a shame the Celebrate Yonge website still isn’t fully functioning yet--how are people supposed to know what's going on?

As area councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam describes it, Celebrate Yonge is an experiment in the tradition of Banting and Best, not Jekyll and Hyde.

“This is just the beginning of a whole new Yonge St.,” she said Monday.

While the four-lane stretch from Queen to Gerrard has a reputation for congestion, Wong-Tam says traffic studies have shown that it carries only 500 vehicles per hour. That many lanes can support 1,500 vehicles per hour.

Along the same strip, data show that people outnumber cars 200 to one, Wong-Tam says.

“We want to be honest about who is actually using Yonge St.,” she says. “It is literally the most pedestrianized street in all of Canada, and yet the conditions for sidewalks are very poor.”

Whole portions of Yonge St. were closed to cars during pedestrian malls in the 1970s. But merchant support waned as shop owners began complaining about shoplifting and vagrancy.

In 2009, New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg temporarily converted five blocks of Broadway to a pedestrian-only mall. The changes were made permanent in 2010.

Celebrate Yonge is being hosted by the Downtown Yonge Business Improvement Area, whose communications manager, Abigail Gamble, says the fair is a one-time event. Permanently reduced traffic lanes would be a hard sell with Mayor Rob Ford, who campaigned on ending “the war on the car.”

Great news!

It's just so unfortunate that this didn't stretch from Queen to Bloor.

In my opinion (valid or not, who knows, I live in the area), Yonge St should not have any cars, just bikes and pedestrians (a nice Amsterdam style road maybe). I would never drive down Yonge when there is Jarvis, Bay, or University, too many pedestrians.

Last edited:
I just got back from Montreal and was SO impressed by the number of roads that have been pedestrianized. Glad to see this trial happening, and I hope shops along Yonge see record profits, that way businesses can push for a permanent solution.

Great news!

It's just so unfortunate that this didn't stretch from Queen to Bloor.

In my opinion (valid or not, who knows, I live in the area), Yonge St should not have any cars, just bikes and pedestrians (a nice Amsterdam style road maybe). I would never drive down Yonge when there is Jarvis, Bay, or University, too many pedestrians.

so true.
Unfortunately it is only a 1 month experiment, after which everything will go back to normal I guess
I fail to understand why anyone would need or want to drive on Yonge st. There is Bay st and University ave on the west and Church and Jarvis on the east, all are faster without all the pedestrians everywhere. The entire Yonge st should be carless, and so should Queen West between University and Bathurst.

Last night I noticed there were truckloads of sand, big logs and boulders around Yonge/Shuter. Some sort-of roadside display, I gather. Maybe with Muskoka chairs? Again, if the Celebrate Yonge website was working they could tell us what their attractions will be.

Toronto Star photo gallery of the Yonge Street Mall in the 1970's: http://www.thestar.com/photoplayer/1241320

Last edited:
People are tweeting pics of the Celebrate Yonge set up. It starts tomorrow, August 17 to September 16.

Chairs at Yonge/Dundas:
A0b1sCXCYAAT6q-.jpg

Sand and logs at Yonge/Shuter:
A0W3Bp5CMAA4KOG.jpg

An information kiosk will be set up at Yonge and Dundas, beside Yonge Street outside H&M. There will also be brochures/maps showing the different attractions/entertainment/patios/public spaces created as part of the event.

Sand on Yonge Street? Almost tempting enough not to go to the family cottage... not.

For the rest of us, it would make the street a bit better. If cigarette butts don't end up there. May need to be raked every morning, noon, and evening.

The Pickle Barrel tweeted a pic of their Yonge St. patio space... on Yonge St. itself (for those who like exhaust fumes with their meal).

A0ckcUCCEAErNF0.jpg

Back