News   Apr 16, 2024
 51     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.2K     5 

"Downtown" elites?

by the way my family grew up in scarborough and we were always left leaning so it isn't just downtown that was left leaning. Also I would guess that most of my friends growing up were as well.

I would also argue that their simplistic, headline approach to news reporting is in and of itself right leaning, at least in today’s incarnation of right leaning. Who wants indepth, thought-provoking information when you can just rant and rave at a headline? Just like the Sun, they know their audience, i.e., Ford supporters.

Personally I think CP24 is basically like the Sun.

AoD

CP24, for the most part, avoids 'overt' slant.

Though, anyone they give editorial latitude to, such as Mr. LeDrew formerly, and other since, tend to show a rightward slant.

But @PinkLucy is really on point in the above post in noting that bias can be and is embedded by format.

If the format precludes, detailed interviews, or context etc. that is a form of bias.

Broadly, its a bias in favour of the status quo, whatever that may be, by declining to seriously question it.

Its a mistake to oversell bias in a partisan sense, when pandering to the status quo (not party but broad societal ) is itself a clear bias.

In a very consumerist society, one is which is by global standards, a right-centre society (in developed world terms), deferring to the status quo is typically a bias to the right.

One must be careful to say there can be exceptions, but CP24 is not one.

May I add here, I think CBC news has stepped backwards in recent years.

They added weather to 'The National' which I find absurd, as most people don't really care or need to know about the weather 3,000km away.

Weather is a local matter, and often time-sensitive too, better addressed through Weather Network, online, than a national broadcast.

They've also upped their 'talk' factor far more than I care for, too many panels, not enough reporting/documentary.

They have far fewer international reporters than they used to; and their legendary documentary unit was obliterated. Sad, really.

I haven't watched CBC news since they went to the new format, although I used to really enjoy Ian Hanomansing's reporting. Sounds like I'm not missing much. I generally prefer my news in print format -- today's TV anchors (particularly those on CP24) grate on my nerves. I also find print news more indepth and comprehensive than the sound bites that make up so much of TV news.

May I add here, I think CBC news has stepped backwards in recent years.

They added weather to 'The National' which I find absurd, as most people don't really care or need to know about the weather 3,000km away.

Weather is a local matter, and often time-sensitive too, better addressed through Weather Network, online, than a national broadcast.

They've also upped their 'talk' factor far more than I care for, too many panels, not enough reporting/documentary.

They have far fewer international reporters than they used to; and their legendary documentary unit was obliterated. Sad, really.

I suspect that the funding cuts under Harper contributed to this.

CP24 is not outright biased in any one direction. They are just simple.

They report on "outrageous event of the day" in a quick digestible tidbit, without ever going indepth on the story or explaining contexts or deciphering ridiculousness of the story. Then when there is a follow-up days later to a story, it does not make the CP24 news cycle.

I don't think CP24 is intentionally biased. It's format just means that an outrageous character like anything the Ford Brothers get up to, get broadcast.

I haven't watched CBC news since they went to the new format, although I used to really enjoy Ian Hanomansing's reporting. Sounds like I'm not missing much. I generally prefer my news in print format -- today's TV anchors (particularly those on CP24) grate on my nerves. I also find print news more indepth and comprehensive than the sound bites that make up so much of TV news.
Even in the print media, actual hard writing is rare. Videos and juxtaposed Tweets fill the void. 'Infotainment' for the iMemyself generation who only regard events real if they can take a 'selfie' with it. Nothing else matters.

Farcebook joins the world...

It's format just means that an outrageous character like anything the Ford Brothers get up to, get broadcast.

Well, I still think it helps that CP24's demographic consequentially happens to be suburban people who would vote for him anyway. But that doesn't mean it's all part of Bell Media or CP24's executives conspiracy to get people to vote PC

If there's any media outlet that's guilty of trying to sway public political opinion, it's the one that relies heavily on government funding, and you know who that is...

If there's any media outlet that's guilty of trying to sway public political opinion, it's the one that relies heavily on government funding, and you know who that is...

This makes me wonder: what's the difference, in terms of independence, between being reliant on government funding as opposed to being reliant on funding from corporations through advertising?

CBC definitely leans left and has done through many different governments. They are reliant on government funding.

Steve, you bastard. ...are you trying to ruin my morning with this? ;)
If you don't conform to the message, you'll be sent for 're-education'. I'm reporting you to the Ford Truth Squad for monitoring. All Rights and Freedoms are no longer available. C'uz Doug says so. Majority Rule...

Back