News   Jul 12, 2024
 952     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 834     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 338     0 

"Downtown Core Line" - Possible Alignments?

What is your prefere alignment for a new E/W subway through Downtown

• Total voters
Assuming smaller stop spacing in the downtown core portion of the DRL, I would choose King. In addition to relieving YUS, why not build something that also completely eliminates the need for this overloaded streetcar route?

I agree with this. Much like choosing the rail alignment, going with express-style stop service on the line through downtown is, as another poster put it, false economy.

I was envisioning something like a line that ran under Queen until it gets to the Don (or maybe one stop west) and have it turn to King and run under King through Parkdale with a terminal at Queen/King/Roncesvalles.

Actually, I don't know about that - there is plenty of pedestrian traffic flow up the PATH from Union Station to destinations that can be served by both King and Queen station, so clearly walking distance isn't that big an issue. In fact (not to say I prefer Queen as an alignment) it might even be more effective in some ways since it will basically drop people off at the northern edge of the financial core, which is not served by any subways.
Well except... you know, the YUS. :p
I've stated many times now that I'd love a Queen LRT with an underground portion through downtown. It'd open up a large number of trips while keeping local service strongly in mind, and I think is the best solution for the Queen corridor. And all that'd be needed is like 2 or 3 kilometers of underground, maybe Parliment to Spadina, and some "LRT" building the TTC seems so fond of doing.

When you think about it, E-W TC would actually work quite well as a feeder system for radial subway lines from the core (say DRL up Don Mills instead of LRT north of Eglinton, maybe equivalent up Jane?)
I am in complete support of extending the DRL up to Don Mills. That'd get a lot of trips from the whole area of eastern North York/western Scarborough off the Yonge line. It's also got a lot of natural density that could easily be expanded on, and has Seneca College as a perfect terminus, as well as being the largest college in Canada.

As for Jane, I've decided I re-support a LRT there, but I'm not so sure about a subway. If I could get my way, I'd have the Eglinton subway go to Jane (or underground portion of the Eglinton LRT if you want to be like that,) and let the LRT terminate there. That'd avoid the less dense and lower ridership area south of Eglinton, and would mean the TTC doesn't need to spend upwards of a billion dollars putting a LRT through the southern portion of Jane. People headed for Downtown could take the subway to the Georgetown line or the YUS. It might make some anger over unneeded transfers though...

EDIT: Really though, I see the Georgetown line as the real DRL in the west end. The other DRL would go generally between King and the Rail corridor and service those neighborhoods instead of doing a lot of DR-ing. In terms of connectivity though, it would provide a quick route from the Lakeshore 501 to Downtown without needing a Waterfront West LRT, as well as connecting the west end with the Ex and the Lakeshore/King/Queen routes.

Last edited:
Actually, I don't know about that - there is plenty of pedestrian traffic flow up the PATH from Union Station to destinations that can be served by both King and Queen station, so clearly walking distance isn't that big an issue. In fact (not to say I prefer Queen as an alignment) it might even be more effective in some ways since it will basically drop people off at the northern edge of the financial core, which is not served by any subways.

When you think about it, E-W TC would actually work quite well as a feeder system for radial subway lines from the core (say DRL up Don Mills instead of LRT north of Eglinton, maybe equivalent up Jane?)

AoD

Actually...tons of the people walking north from Union are avoiding a second fare (before/after GO). Many of them would stop walking if the transfer onto the YUS loop was 'free,' and, besides, with the DRL we're talking mainly about people already on the subway coming from the north.

Walking distance is indeed a big issue and the best (only?) way to change the rules of the game is to extend the DRL far enough that it intercepts riders before they get to B/D or Yonge...save them enough time somewhere else and they might be willing to transfer again to get around the YUS loop or walk for 5-10+ minutes instead of going through Y&B (or St. George).

I wouldn't mind a King St. alignment for the DRL, as it would replace the streetcar there. However, I fear that if we did get a King St subway, it would forever preclude the possibility of a Queen St subway.

^ How else do you respond to posts attempting to throw everything but the kitchen sink to make their argument stick? There's no cogent thesis in many of their advocacy arguments.

And you suggest I put out non-sequiturs, straw men and false dichotomies?

Actually I’m not the one who said that, Northern Magnus did. But since you’re trying really hard to prove him right, I’ll bite. I won’t get into a “quote war†per se but this should satisfactorily summarize just what I think about most of your reply.

Let’s get the cogent thesis statement out of the way. An inner-city alignment provides best service to the existing and overstrained core, the best crowd-control and diversionary performance from TTC, GO, and PATH traffic, with the least adverse impacts to streetlife from construction. If a deep but readily accessible alignment through City-owned jurisdiction is possible, it has other further advantages. By definition, the CNR, which only borders the downtown core, is NOT composite of the inner-city.

A transit mall along Queen or King Streets with alternating one-way streets would cause intolerable levels of disruption due to construction, likely with severe adverse impacts on the streetlife that makes these places what they are today. The plan died not because of Transit City, but because it is simply bad. New LRVs will help, but won't be a permanent solution. The only way to improve service along since arterials is to go underground, and at a depth exceeding 10 m such construction would avoid mass expropriation, road closures or other adverse impacts to streetlife.

WWLRT does little for anyone living east of Roncesvalles along Queen Street, so how does it lessen his or her travel times? The irony of your statements is that the overcrowding of the 501 isn’t the result of Etobicoke riders already on board when entering the downtown; it’s the excessive number of people boarding within Parkdale and Queen West that accounts for the surplus. It’s these numbers- 24,100 all-day boardings between Humber and Church- that we can draw upon to indicate just how many potential DRL riders there’d be along Queen proper alone.

And I wouldn’t rejoice just yet about new streetcar purchases when one-third of the funding for it is still uncertain, given how Ottawa refused to salvage the Bombardier deal.

If you admit that King is the most urgent, than why would we build a subway on Queen? And as Scarberian has pointed out, gentrification has worked to reduce population not increase it. When have you ever had a gentrifiers who added density? I can't think of an example in Toronto. And gentrifiers who also tend to be wealthier are also less likely to take transit. Another downward pressure on transit use along Queen. Replace the streetcar which has 300 m spacing with a subway with 1km spacing and they might not bother taking transit at all.

Lol! There’s so much that is wrong with this one statement. If gentrifiers are being considered too wealthy to ride transit; then am I seriously to entertain with you the notion that whole “communities†of people that each dropped roughly half a million dollars to live in the central waterfront most likely with parking privileges and the Gardiner Exwy right at their doorsteps— are going to form the primary customer base for this new subway line? The inner-city meanwhile has an eclectic mix of gentrifiers as well lower-income residents, downtown workers, merchants and visitors all seeking a fast way to get around the city. All of which would be put out of their way if they’re expected to travel all the way down to Front St in order to ride the DRL and backtrack from it.

Then there’s the issue of the Bayfront/Portlands going from virtually zero transit service to the highest form of transit without first intensifying a corridor’s demand for higher order. Since the DRL was last studied, an LRT line has been proposed for Bremner, which will also extend along Queen's Quay E. as part of the master planning for the East Bayfront and Lower Don Lands, which will see branching routes down Cherry and Commissioners, of which service should be consistent on both since this ties into the services coming from Cherry north of the railway in the West Don Lands project. LRT services here are the best fit for servicing these areas, especially when combined with the expanded services of GO Transit in the area. One subway station alone will not be able to cater to the needs of residents living along multiple area streets where LRVs can provide better coverage. The Cherry LRT will inevitably become a connecting route to the DRL (be it at Eastern, Queen or even Gerrard!!) to provide high-quality access and service to the Portlands well suited to the level of demand that can be expected to originate from it.

Lastly, the fact that desirability for mass transit has been building up along Queen Street for well over a century now, I find it cute that anyone would suggest residents would all out cease to use public transit just because their precious nostalgic streetcars are gone. Did residents living in-between the 800m average spaced-apart stations of the Bloor-Danforth subway stop using transit? Do they even mind walking it to their local station same as one would a bus stop? Now I can see where Northern Magnus is coming from.

Well when a large percentage of the commuters on those streetcar routes travel on the DRL the same streetcars might be more than good enough for those local residents.

The streetcars should be providing local transit for locals, the DRL should be more express like designed to bring in people from all over the city as well as relieve the existing subway and streetcar routes.

There are many GO Stations in Toronto that are in the middle of nowhere, but again that's not for local transit.

However for the Queen route, underground sections downtown would be good and kind of split the difference too.

King Alignment

I like the idea of having the subway alignment along King Street through downtown. I believe it would preserve the heritage streetscape of Queen Street which includes the streetcar, it would not increase pressure (as much) for higher density development along Queen (again the heritage angle) which can easily be accomodated elsewhere along King, it allows for linkages into the YUS line at St. Andrew and King Stations (and possibly even union if it dips down), it would replace the heavily congested King Streetcar, and could connect to Dundas West Station in the west end by following along Roncesvalles, and to Pape Station in the east end following Queen East to the rail corridor, and north on Pape Ave.

Regardless, any subway corridor through this area would be fantastic.

Let's talk DRL alignment

I know that the DRL is still a long way away, if it will ever be built at all, but I want to talk about the DRL alignment anyway. Basically, post your ideas in this thread.

Here are my two alternative ideas:
drlalignment.jpg

As you can see, this is only the west side of it, and only the part near downtown.

Major advantages of the blue line:
-Goes straight into the heart of the financial district, the densest part of the city and the destination of most DRL users

Red Line:
-Has stations in denser and much more crowded parts of the area including the future west don lands and Lawrence Market
-Connects with Union Station
-Is located on a street with no streetcar service

As for the are on the east side of Don River; I don't think that part should have any stations at all. This area simply isn't very dense, and more importantly it already has streetcar service on all the major streets. I know a lot of people might point out that the streetcars there are already very crowded, but that is a futile argument. Whether or not there will be any stations there, there won't be more than two of them, and no matter how crowded the streetcars are no person will walk a mile to the closest subway station when they could just hop on a nearby streetcar. Just send more streetcars down that route, it's not worth adding several minutes to the trip to downtown and millions of extra dollars on the cost.

Anyway, post your thoughts.

Last edited:
I say a Queen St alignment with stations Moss Park, Queen Broadview on the east side and then swing up to Pape & Gerrard. And on the west side go all the way to Parkdale Station and follow the rail corridor to Dundas West.

There would be no new station at Yonge St and the line would dip south to create a new station in the King and Bay area with underground access to Union, King, Queen, and City Hall to accommodate all that, then it would seing back north again to connect with Osgoode.

And plus the Queen alignment serves an already existing pre-war dense area.

Here's the best DRL alignment through the east side, IMO.
Picture 2.jpg

Going up to Wellington allows for a station just north of Union, making an easy connection between King and Union station as one station. Further west, there'd be a station at Simcoe St. with an easy connection with St. Andrew station. In the East, there would be a station right on Front St before Jarvis, to get right under the St. Lawrence market. Then's a station set between Trinity and Cherry, to serve the Distillery District and the Cherry streetcar/LRT. After that, it'd connect back with the Rail Corridor.

I'm sure I somehow messed up in embedding that image... I'm learning.

EDIT: If I could be enlightened as to how I might fix my image, it'd be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
The reason I don't like the Queen alignment is because it lacks the major advantages of a King or Front street alignment. It doesn't go right into the financial disctrict, nor does it go to Union. Also Queen st is not that dense east of the core and it already has a street car line. On the subject of dipping south into King and Bay; isn't it a bit complicated to navigate around skyscrapers like that? Is it even possible? Subways can't make 90 degree turns and I don't think you can just build them under skyscrapers.

Second in pie: The embedding is fine, but the picture is way to small. It's hard to see anything in it.

Yes, I believe there are some pretty major issues in going under skyscrapers, especially since you have so little leeway in depth before you hit water. Also, Queen is the kind of street that needs very local stop spacing, i.e. under 500 m. The DRL, on the other hand, is the kind of line that needs little stops, i.e. over 700m. Queen might qualify for a subway in the future, but not as the first E-W downtown subway.

(About my picture) It's odd because the original picture I took it from is essentially fullscreen. It somehow shrunk 10x in the uploading/embedding process... how does that work? :confused:

I like this for the alignment:

DRL.jpg

Like SIP said, using Wellington through the CBD offers the unique opportunity to connect multiple YUS stations with the DRL. However, that said I don't see why we couldn't put a central stop right at the intersection of Wellington and Bay and allow for platform long passages to run in-between such a station and all of St Andrew-Union-King. This allows for better stop locations and spacings both east and west. Instead of the Esplanade or King we can use Front and Eastern to carry the line eastwards allowing for stops at Church, Sherbourne and Trinity just a minute's walk north of the Distillery District. In the outer stretches, by switching to underneath Queen we can allow for a full east-west Queen St Line to be built in the future which routes interlined through the central ROW segment. We also don't need to use the rail corridor for the western arm. Such redundancy of rail service is unwarranted in that area, meanwhile a station at Queen/Roncesvalles could head off a lot of traffic coming in from southern Etobicoke.

Also Parkside/Keele offers a faster, cheaper alignment option than using Ronci and also directly serves denser areas (just north of Keele/Bloor there's a cluster of high-density apartment buildings; plus the heart of Junction area is Annette/Dundas/Keele, not Dupont/Osler where a rail corridor aligned stop would go. Anyway that's my two cents.

Here's my logic for keeping it further north than King:

When coming south on the Yonge line in the morning there is an outflow of passengers at College, Dundas, Queen, and King. I worry that if the line is too far south then the passengers travlling to the north stops may not divert to the DRT, they'll likely continue to use the Yonge Line. By pushing the line north you'll help divert more riders. I'd imagine this is something that could (and would) be modelled, but my vote is for Richmond with tunnels to Queen and Osgoode stations. Keep the Queen and King streetcars. Any alignement will invlove the mother of all road closures downtown and Richmond is already downtown's east-west whipping boy, so why not use it.

On another note, is there any debate about the Danforth connection? It seems most people (including myself) want to see it at Pape, but I've seen people use Coxwell.

etrZ1.png

This is what'd I'd expect Stage 1, 2, and 3 of the DRL to look like. I favour a Queen alignment.

The chunk from Queen to Osgoode is the most expensive to build, so chances are it will be left out of the first stage. I also wouldn't expect a station at Jarvis, as it's walking distance to Yonge.

I'm not sure about the stations at Mortimer and O'Connor. Conceivably, they could be consolidated into a Cosburn station. However, considering the opposition to consolidating stations on the Yonge North extension, I'm guessing the East Yorkers will want both of them.

I ran it to Pape and then Don Mills & Eg since that's the conventional wisdom. However, I've been wondering if it might be easier to avoid crossing the Don Valley by running it to Victoria Park and then north.

Back